Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would like to see one entry for "Universal Fighting System (UFS)", and no others. The BGG entries for the newer expansions look pretty bad, with few or no pictures, sparse information, and no forum posts. Like other CCGs, the expansions to UFS are part of the main game and, as with other CGGs on this site, do not merit seperate entries. Having multiple entries adds unnecessary confusion when trying to record a "play" of the game. Lastly, it's important to have only one rating for the game - though it would be neat to have some funky changes to BGG to let people give seperate ratings for expansions, base game, and game as a whole.

Some information for the admin who would be doing the merge

- The name should be "Universal Fighting System (UFS)". This is in keeping with the seventh Naming Convention (link), as the acronym is part of the title/logo and visible on everything from the card back to the deck boxes. Currently being unable to find the game by searching for it's common name is not good.

- This BGGwiki page (link) is not up to date, as it's missing one or more of the game universes. It would be made redundant after a merge anway, so it should be deleted.

- I think that the image of the card back should be the representative image of the merged entry. Some CCGs use the card back, some use the box cover of the first set, some use the box cover of the most recent set. While a box cover may be more representative of what you would see when looking for the game in a store, I feel that no one box cover would be properly representative. That's my opinion.

- The publisher is different between versions. According to Wikipedia.org's entry for the game (link), Fantasy Flight Games took over from Sabretooth Games in February of 2008.

- The dates associated with the games on BGG may not be correct. BGG has the Penny Arcade set as being a 2005 game, whereas the Wikipedia.org entry says it was released in 2006.

- There seem to be game universes missing from BGG's database as well as from the list on that BGGwiki page I mentioned. The Wikipedia.org page and the official Fantasy Flight Games page (link) also do not match up. To my knowledge, the licenced universes UFS cards have been made for came out in this order:
Penny Arcade, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur III, The King of Fighters,
Samurai Showdown, Darkstalkers, Warhammer, and ShadowWar.

- Some of those came out at the same time.

- The Warhammer set may be a single promotional deck, but I don't know - my friend has one, and I think it's a new promotion for the Warhammer Online MMORPG, but it's not listed in any of the four places I mentioned, including FFG's website.

- The ShadowWar set might not yet be in print.

- I read somwhere that The Penny Arcade set is no longer supported by Fantasy Flight games, and is OOP. The cards (most of them, at least) are still legal in UFS decks, as I understand it, but no new cards will be made under that licence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Regarding the Warhammer promotional cards, a google search led me to a forum post with an explanation:
Quote:
When you pre-order a copy of Warhammer Online in the US at a Gamestop you receive a Warhammer UFS Demo deck. This was arranged back when Sabretooth owned UFS and was with GW. It has been stated that the cards in the deck will never be tournament legal and there will be no further Warhammer UFS cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.