Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Quick question - I need to get a game which is suitable for play by age range 5-8, plays well in the range of 2-4 players and if it's fun for adults too, so much the better. The kids in question are both boys, and of the adults concerned one is a part-time gamer and the other a non-gamer.

I need it by the end of the week, so nothing too obscure as I either have to find it in my local games shop or have a choice of online retailers to ensure prompt delivery time.

First thoughts..

Gulo Gulo (inevitably) but it does look a good fit, if I can get it in time.

Blokus not sure about this, it looks a little dull and the skill differential between a 5-yr old and an adult might be offputting

PitchCar Mini I can see this one working well and it's in stock in my local game shop

Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie Bizarrely, after being sold off cheap, this has become quite hard to find in the UK. Might be offputting to the non-gamer and might be too complex for the younger one

Dragonland I know nothing about this, but dug it up whilst researching what I might buy. Looks like it might work well, but finding a copy could be troublesome.

Ticket to Ride: Europe I'm sick to death of this game, but it would probably work well (I'm not buying the USA edition for a European family!)

Ticket to Ride: The Card Game Know nothing about this, but just seen a copy in the game shop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane H
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played games with girls that age, I can see Heroscape going over very well with boys, they can play with the pieces if nothing else, but the simple game should be easy enough for them. Blokus is fun, but like you said, not too exciting. Quicksand was always a big hit at that age, a bluffing card game with a little board. We have Dragonland and it is solid, okay, hate the set up though. Maybe Diamant would work too.
Gulo Gulo is fun, but at their ages might get old fast. Good luck, game shopping is fun. Trans Europa would be good at that age too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W Nash
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just picked up a copy of Hey! That's My Fish!, and it would be perfect for 5-8 and adults too. It's nearing the end of the print run, but there may be some laying around in FLGSes. I got ours on eBay.

MadK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Qwirkle would be a great choice -- it's easily available in the US, but I don't know about distribution in the UK.

Gulo Gulo is too young, IMHO. Incan Gold/Diamant doesn't work well with two. Can't Stop would be a better press-your-luck game for that range of players. Depending on personalities, Risk Express could be fun as well -- hard for us to find in the US, but easy for you, I'd think.

If Willy Waschbär is still available in Europe, that's a fun/cheap flicking game (featuring a food fight among raccoons!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Knight Games
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Second vote for Hey, That's My Fish!. Its a great leveller and plays well with a mixed age range.

Ticket to Ride: The Card Game is a memory game, so it is a challenge for the adults, but kids find it easier.

Niagara? Kids love the gems and the waterfall, but they tend to play it very randomly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie Taylor
Canada
Waterloo
ON
flag msg tools
From your above choices, I would say Pitchcar Mini. Another recommendation, that seems easy enough to find, would be Château Roquefort. Kids LOVE watching those mice plunge to their doom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brafman
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what its worth, my 6 and 9 year olds both love Blokus (actually we play blokus trigon, which works great with 3 or 4 players) and Dragonland. I do to!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of games that you might consider in addition to those already listed would be Zig-Zag and Elk Fest...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Lane
United States
Memphis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My boys aren't the gamers I'd like them to be. With that said, I have found that they like Blokus, Castle Keep, Rivers, Roads & Rails, and Cosmic Cows quite well. With Cosmic Cows, I don't bother with the two outside columns (Chance and Straight).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Collingham
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zooloretto is the way to go! Also I played (US) Ticket to Ride with my kids at 7/8. They like Enchanted Forest too but it's hard to get (mine was from eBay)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katy Yalci
Turkey
flag msg tools
mb
Iam 9 and I like:
Coloretto
I used to really like sleeping queens
Hue knew?
I hope you find these useful,Bye.
goolaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
molly yalci
Turkey
flag msg tools
Hi, I'm 11 when I was 5 - 8 I loved these games:

Hue Knew this is a brilliant game for 7 to 8 yearolds.

Enchanted Forest really good game with a good theme for girls of exactly that age

Stone soup: a brilliant game for 6 - 8 yearolds. Only fault: you have to fit a lot of cards into one hand which is difficult for small hands! ( although my little sister solved this problem by spreading her cards out behind her where no-one can see!)

I hope this is useful and really do reccomend that you give these a go.laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Finstere Flure (Fearsome Floors) was the first "serious" board game my son played with adults. He started when he was 5, and he still enjoys it now that he is 8. Fun for kids and grown-ups.

-Aaron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I will second Incan Gold. Just borrowed it from a friend, and I highly recommend it for ALL ages! It's light, fun, and short. Great filler game for adults, or multiple playthroughs with little kids. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Incan Gold/Diamant. It's only drawback is that it's not much fun with only 2, so if you expect the boys to play each other a lot, look elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride with a 5 year old can be difficult to endure. Or it can be entertaining. But it's likely not going to be a very serious game.

My kids love Blokus and it's not bad playing it with them. My 5 year old plays it fine but doesn't necessarily make the best decisions

PitchCar Mini is always good.

At the moment my kids' favorite, which I also enjoy with adults, is Hula Hippos (or Hula Hippos). It's nuts and way too funny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Volpe
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I have 5 and 8 year old boys. The are currently enjoying Chicken Cha Cha Cha and Cranium Zooreka! (we play with a limit of one trade per trip to the trading post).

My oldest is not interested in playing Gulo Gulo much anymore so if you are looking for something they both want to play you may want to look elsewhere.

I recently introduced my 5 year old to Loot and he loved it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Formula Dé? In my experience (I have three kids including a 5 and a 8 year old), boys tend to like cars and racing. I haven't played the game myself, so I can't really tell if it is a good fit complexity-wise, but I remember seeing a recent thread about someone playing this with a five year old. Ah, here it is: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/346547

Should be good fun for both parents and kids. Gotta love dice rolling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Marrakesh worked really well with Daughter the Elder and Daughter the Younger. Being a HABA game it is probably an awful lot easier to obtain in your neck of the woods than it is here in Australia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ernst
United States
Morrison
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also try Nexus Ops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brafman
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another great and inexpensive choice: Duck, duck, Bruce! (by Gamewright), which I think of as a slightly simpler version of Circus Flohcati (it also has some differences). Also, my kids enjoy Pompeii, the BUcket King, and Crazy CHicken, though the last 2 may be out of print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.