Popular Tags: [View All]
Carsten Buettemeier
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Esst mehr Käsetoast!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
German, French and English rules are online now: http://www.eggertspiele.de/games/burg/burgdown.htm .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
unittype wrote:
German, French and English rules are online now: http://www.eggertspiele.de/games/burg/burgdown.htm .

Dutch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you have the same colours?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
duchamp wrote:
Why do you have the same colours?

The rules actualy are available in belgian and french.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoong Ken Yen
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read through the rules. I get a feeling that this game plays 80% like Stone Age but actually makes use of the buildings after they get built rather than Stone Age which you build just for VPs which makes it a better game in comparison. And the winter variant makes for some interesting play as well. My only wish that more winter cards are made available later on to "spice" the game up more.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My thoughts are that superficially it looks a LOT like Pillars of the Earth and Stone Age, but in play there are a few important differences.

Firstly, it's a 45 minute game (Stone Age took 2 hours the one time I played). Secondly, there's no luck* in the resource collection mechanism. Thirdly it's not really a worker-placement game - you use one or two meeples to augment resource collection, but the rest are more like bonus VPs which score at the end of the game.

The one comparison I've not seen yet is to the role-selection games, like Race for the Galaxy. Castle has a role selection mechanic, and selecting the same role as others (or a different role) can confer important advantages or drawbacks. If you've played a worker card to gather resources, and I've played a Stone mason, one of us ends the turn happy, the other less so. Judging when to play what is the important skill in the game I believe, which makes it quite different to Stone Age or Pillars despite the similar artwork and components.

*Chris Dearlove can chime in here disagreeing; there is a random factor, introduced by the different role cards, but I'm not calling it luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.