Agricola» Forums » Rules

Subject: Help! 1 Pasture , 4 Stables, = how many VP's? legal? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Li
Canada
flag msg tools
Hello,

I just wanted to confirm a strategy someone used in a game recently. I know some will ask "why would anyone do this", but this was a 1st time player, and he was just trying to eliminate as many "unused spaces" as possible at the end.

So here's my question, so let's say someone has a fenced pasture consisting of 12 farmyard spaces (x) such as

- - - -
[ x x x x ]
[ x x x x ] = 1 pasture
[ x x x x ]
- - - -

1st question can someone verify that it IS indeed legal to put 4 stables (o's) for example within 1 pasture??
- - - -
[ x x o o ]
[ x x o o ] = 1 pasture (with 4 stables)
[ x x x x ]
- - - -

This I assume quadruples the capacity of the entire farmyard space?
2 animals x 15 spaces = 30 (without stables)
30 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 = 480 potential animals in this pasture?

2nd question. IF THIS IS INDEED POSSIBLE.

Could someone verify that ALL FOUR of these stables = fenced stables so in total this player would receive 4 points for having all 4 stables fenced within the same pasture?

any help would be great! thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schwartz
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Yes, it is permissible to have all four stables inside of a pasture. It's just not legal to place to stables in the same farmyard *space*. The farmyards you illustrated are legal.

As it is not permitted to enclose your house inside of a pasture, it is not possible to have a size-15 pasture.

With 14 fences, it is possible to enclose a size-12 pasture which, assuming four stables, results in a maximum capacity of 24x2x2x2x2 = 384.

- Xaxyx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Marchi
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

It is perfectly legal to do this and get 4 points for the fenced stables.

Each stable doubles the capacity, in this case it's 12 spaces, 384 animals total.

It can be quite good sometimes, when you get occupation/improvement that you can put different species in the same pasture, or get points for pasture spaces (Manger).

Kyralia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Stables normally score one incremental VP. If they are in a pasture, they score 1 point. If they are in an open space, they remove the -1 penalty. The only exception I can think of would be having a card that removes the penalty --then you'd need to build in a pasture to get the point. There may be other cards, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Li
Canada
flag msg tools
Xaxyx wrote:
Yes, it is permissible to have all four stables inside of a pasture. It's just not legal to place to stables in the same farmyard *space*. The farmyards you illustrated are legal.

As it is not permitted to enclose your house inside of a pasture, it is not possible to have a size-15 pasture.

With 14 fences, it is possible to enclose a size-12 pasture which, assuming four stables, results in a maximum capacity of 24x2x2x2x2 = 384.

- Xaxyx

thanks both of you guys.
sorry my simple math is off i did meant 12 farmyards lol. must've counted wrong.
thanks for the info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Side question - anyone know the maximum number of animals (total and/or on one type) you can get? Assume you ignore everything else (well you'd probably do family growth) and let your family starve.
You can also assume other players (if any) are cooperative and never take animals.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Marchi
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
anyone know the maximum number of animals (total and/or on one type) you can get?

Assuming you have the space, you can get (if you take each action twice to start the breeding before the 1st harvest):

14 Sheep (1/round) + 6 from breeding (6 harvests) = 20

7 Pigs + 4 = 11

5 Cattle + 3 = 8

Now that is a Base total. If you add in occupations and the action space that give 1sheep+1food/1pig/1Cattle-1food from the 4+ players. the maths become much more complicated.

Occupations:

Shepherd / Master Shepherd
Swineherd
Cowherd / Cattle Whisperer
Tenant Farmer / Farmer

That is only the E Deck.

Anyway, it's trying to get the best combination of 7 occupations.

Kyralia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Leidschendam
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
N9IWP wrote:
Side question - anyone know the maximum number of animals (total and/or on one type) you can get?

At least 137.

See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2454192#2454192. (It says 135, but you can use the Bierfass (Z314) to take extra clay.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! thanks!

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.