Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been doing my best to steer clear of the Agricola hype. I haven't really been paying much attention to it. But when it rose to #1 I figured it was a game I'd want to own someday. I of course waited for the English version to come out. Then there was talk of animeeples (and now I see vegimeeples).

Then yesterday I saw Tanga was selling the game and I figured now was the time. I bought the game at a pretty good price and am waiting for it to arrive.

Now before I go digging through pages and pages of forums and files (and there are many!), I want to ask to masses who are more informed than I, what do I need to know? I see some stores are selling animeeples. How about vegimeeples? Are other decks going to be available? What about these stickers I'm seeing? Are they available for sale or only DIY? Is there such a thing as a "Pimp my Agricola" set coming out? Should I wait for such a thing? Is there errata I need to know about?

Please help me so I don't have to read and sift and read and sift. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need any of that stuff to play. It plays great the way it comes. And with 3 seperate decks...you'll be set for awhile. I'm a big fan of theme, but I wouldn't spend over $5 on animeeples or vegimepers, or whatever else is being pimped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Animeeples were available to preorders, though there an after market company about to sell sets of them; they are not the same though.

Vegimeeples are available at Essen. I've somehow missed how you get a set.

Stickers and other pimping materials are after market enhancements of the rabid fans.

I've played almost 100 times, 99% of which was with the German edition, and the "paste-ups" were just English inserts; no fancy full pictures (though I was given them early on). The game is perfect without all the extra chrome. It has enough on it's own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnold V C
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I'd love to have those cute animeeples I too dont think the game needs any additional stuff, save for card protectors and probably a better organizer. I tend more to the "extra stuff" that protect games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I agree with the general sentiments of the previous posters (i.e., the game is absolutely fantastic--and complete--straight out of the box), don't be too quick to heed the naysayers when it comes to pimping out your game.

Whether it's Agricola or another game entirely, a little extra elbow grease to add some chrome can really help attract other players to the game--and attracting other players is often my highest priority. Agricola is complex, initially confusing, and sometimes overwhelming. Couple those qualities with a veritable ton of different colored wooden discs, and I guarantee you the game's audience among more casual gamers (and non-gamers) is going to be more limited than it needs to be.

I would never consider Agricola to be an optimal "gateway" game, but having a full set of FIMO farmers, resources, animals, etc., has allowed us to introduce the game to very casual players who have always seemed to avoid deep, complex games. The theme built into the game's mechanics is rich and intriguing to begin with, so the addition of cute animals and chunky farmers really intrigues newbies enough to convince them to persevere and learn the game.

FIMO, stickers, animeeples... whatever you choose, upgrades to the existing components should be well worth your while, IMO. Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeshua Smith
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I just started playing as well, and found these threads useful:

Common mistakes: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/332022
Known Errors in English version: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/326815
Strategy: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/346380
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait and play the game a few times at least before you start messing with that "pimping" shit.

Unless you have nothing better to do with your time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read that Lookout games will be selling animeeples starting sometime in December (i.e. the ones that Z-Man preorders came with - not the after market ones that other companies are producing). However, I do not know if the animeeples will be sold by themselves, part of an expansion pack, or with any extra goodies (like the farmer stickers from the Spielbox magazine).

The game plays just fine without the animeeples or any other chrome - in fact, when I am playing the game I don't see white, black, and brown cubes - I see sheep, boars, and cows.

However, to some people there may be a need or belief to have the extra chrome to make the game more attractive to new players or to get the interest of spouses or children who otherwise may not be as interested to start playing.

I will say this for the cubes - I would imagine that they stack a lot better than the animeeple or fimo versions - it can get quite crowded in a single space pasture with a stable and occupations/minor improvements that let you crowd more than 4 animals in...

So, I'd recommend you wait until the "Agricola Pimp Pack" (or whatever) will officially come out. By then, you may not even care about pretending to have brown cubes "moo" rather than cow-shaped wooden bits.

EDIT: Added more detail to the first paragraph.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keenan kahnemouii
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this has nothing to do with your post, but do you know how I can add a game to my owned section?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mewmew wrote:
this has nothing to do with your post, but do you know how I can add a game to my owned section?

Check your geek mail for the answer...

Also, you may want to checkout the "New User" forum and post questions like this in that forum in the future:

http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/79/forum/1

Welcome to BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.