Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Computer Based Board Gaming » BrettspielWelt (BSW)

Subject: Dominion now running on BSW rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: bsw [+] [View All]
Petr Zikeš
Czech Republic
Kremze
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That´s all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great game, but the interface is brain damaged:

- The Wizard-style card hover algorithm is mathematically broken. I think the intent was to get cute and mimic the Mac desktop. It fails.

- There's almost no place to leave the mouse to not get a popup that blocks your view or that leaves the cards in your hand in a straight line.

- The table cards switch between small and large forms depending on the game state. The transition is animated in such a way that you can click on one large card, but the server thinks you clicked on a different small one.

- The most important pieces of information you need to play the game are the function of each card and how many are left. These are both only available when you mouse over each card.

- Cards that add extra buy value just say +1 etc, with no noun or icon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Oy, why can't they just keep it simple? The San Juan interface, for example, would have worked fine for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the Thief/Spy icons are switched - when you take a Thief action, you click a checkmark by a Spy icon over on the right to tell it you're done, and vice versa. Plus the Moat didn't seem to work. It's possible the Thief isn't an Attack card, but I would bet it is... I hope they clean this up soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
BSW is stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite all that, I still enjoyed learning it tonight on BSW and playing it 12 times in a row. That's saying something as it's coming from someone who generally doesn't like most card games and almost never plays any game multiple times in a row. It was surprisingly addictive. Still not sure how much I like it or whether I'll continue to play much down the road, but I do know that I want to keep playing over and over and over at the moment. Very odd and intriguing game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim, you are always on the ball. Just wanted to say that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YAY!

I was hoping this one would come on BSW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petr Zikeš
Czech Republic
Kremze
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drunkenKOALA wrote:
BSW is stupid.

I don´t agree. BSW is my good gaming buddy!
(but I haven´t tried Dominion yet)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it's a shame no one is ever willing to teach games on BSW, I've been trying to get someone to teach me stone age for a couple of months now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
That hasn't been my experience at all. There are 18 games I learned on BSW before I ever played them live, and I've helped newbies through various games.

Are you asking people to teach you the game from scratch? That would be a bit much - it's common courtesy to have at least read the rules ahead of time. Especially when BSW itself supplies the rules and instructions on the interface.

Click here for the rules & instructions for Dominion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
And here is the link for Stoneage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonny5 wrote:
Are you asking people to teach you the game from scratch? That would be a bit much - it's common courtesy to have at least read the rules ahead of time. Especially when BSW itself supplies the rules and instructions on the interface.

Consider the possibility that I may have a learning disability associated with reading. Not everyone can learn from text. Some people require visuals, kinesthetics or other forms of instruction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
- The Wizard-style card hover algorithm is mathematically broken. I think the intent was to get cute and mimic the Mac desktop. It fails.

I played this a bunch last night. I'll restate this issue because it is a constant pain in the ass while playing. PLEASE add an option to turn it off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Bagherra wrote:
Consider the possibility that I may have a learning disability associated with reading. Not everyone can learn from text. Some people require visuals, kinesthetics or other forms of instruction.

Duly considered. I'm often on BSW at lunch time (12:00-1:00 PM EST), if you'd like I can show you how Stoneage goes. Tho we may not get through a full learning game in an hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thats excellent! I should also play Stone Age and Dominion there. And I have no problem learning from text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:
Jonny5 wrote:

More than once have I read the rules to a game, not "gotten" it, and then asked to sit in and watch a game in progress. "Peek" at someone's setup and ask questions in a private chat window. And make sure it's explained that their turn may be a little slower while they are teaching while playing.

Every time I go to BSW, even if people say "Oh, just grab a seat, it's easy to learn," this is what I do out of respect for the time of others. But BSW is the best place I've found for it, and I've never had anyone take issue with me sitting in and just watching and asking questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asa Swain
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played on BSW for the first time last night, and had a wonderful time learning how to play Dominion (for the first time as well). Despite the problems with the interface you listed, I had no problems learning how to play, and really enjoyed myself. I was worried it would be too confusing, but Dominion is easy to learn, and I think card games are easier to represent online than more complex boardgames.

I don't mind the wizard effect, but you're right that having to mouse-over to see how many cards is left making things un-necessarily difficult.

Overall I have to give hugs props to BSW (and the game owners) for making an online version of Dominion available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Payne
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmb
ekted wrote:
- The table cards switch between small and large forms depending on the game state. The transition is animated in such a way that you can click on one large card, but the server thinks you clicked on a different small one.

There's a small circle in the top-right of the screen. If you click it to make it red, then the cards will stay in their small forms all of the time.

coolpapa wrote:
Also, the Thief/Spy icons are switched - when you take a Thief action, you click a checkmark by a Spy icon over on the right to tell it you're done, and vice versa. Plus the Moat didn't seem to work. It's possible the Thief isn't an Attack card, but I would bet it is... I hope they clean this up soon.

Both of these are bugs, and have been reported. The Moat should (but doesn't) stop the Thief and Spy. If you see any more bugs, let me know, and I will pass them on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you have no gold left and you still have buys, the game should move on instead of waiting for you to click the arrow under Buy.

I really hope the Moat bug is fixed, some of my games have boiled down to how many thieves show up and how lucky they are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:
When you have no gold left and you still have buys, the game should move on instead of waiting for you to click the arrow under Buy.

It definitely shouldn't move on because you might want to buy Coppers (which cost zero), especially if you're building a Gardens deck, or using Moneylender or Remodel for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I hadn't thought about that. It's just that I've been caught napping several times

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just played a game of Dominion on BSW which I went last. The game ended right before my turn so I got one turn less than everyone. Do the rules support that or is that a BSW interpretation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BFoy wrote:
I just played a game of Dominion on BSW which I went last. The game ended right before my turn so I got one turn less than everyone. Do the rules support that or is that a BSW interpretation?

The rules support that. It's not a BSW weirdness. The game ends immediately when either the Provinces are all gone or any 3 piles of cards are empty. So everyone doesn't necessarily get the same number of turns. However, if two or more people tie with the same score, then the tiebreaker is that the person who had fewer turns wins (and it remains a tie if they had the same number of turns).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Luub
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:
Jonny5 wrote:
I don't want to make light of your (possible) disability, but isn't it still text if someone types the rules to you in the BSW chat window?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.