Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmb
Ryan has a knack for requesting to play my favorite games. I mean, I'd be happy to play just about anything requested, but getting another crack at a favorite game is great. I enjoy racing games in general, but Formula De never did much for me. Ausgebremst is my favorite car racing game, at least until my order for Pit Stop arrives. It's pretty much displaced Detroit-Cleveland Grand Prix in my collection (theoretically only--I still own DCGP!). Even so, my appreciation for Ausgebremst dampened a bit when I understood that even the designer acknowledges an advantage to the pole position car. Maybe when you run a series of races (as the published rules suggest), that can be averaged out. I've never played the game that way, though, running just a single 3-lap race most of the time.

Nonetheless, I think the game is good fun. The deck customization and use of nonplayer cars to fill out the race are unusual game features. And the game is quick, which I always like. In our game Greg W. had the pole position, followed by Greg P., Ryan, Erin, me, and the nonplayer car. We played a track rated "easy," which means that there were more movement points available to be "wasted" on outside curves, still leaving enough to cross the finish line without making a pit stop. Most of us still did pit, however. Greg W. may have been the only one who didn't. I thought he was going to run out of gas, but turned to have *exactly* enough movement points in his deck to cross the finish line. However, he slowed up right at the end, which permitted Greg P. to zip past him for the win. Then he crossed. So, if you list the starting positions in the order the crossed the finish line (follow that?), it was 2 (Greg P), 1 (Greg W), 3 (Ryan), 5 (Mark), 6 (nonplayer), and 5 (Erin).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.