Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Space Alert» Forums » General

Subject: Will this game be unplayable for me??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in this - sounds very original.

However, I suffer from deafness & so playing the CDs sounds like it's going to prevent me from buying Space Alert since I won't be able to follow any directions, music or effects from the CD - unless someone else is there to talk me through it & I think this will detract from the gameplay/atmosphere for me

So, sadly, it looks like I'll have to pass on buying Space Alert in Essen unless there is a alternative design without the soundtrack.

Matt...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure there's a way of playing it without the CD accounted for in the rules.

Just because you don't always have a CD player handy .....


N.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
BOOM
badge
BOOM
Avatar
tonksey wrote:
I'm interested in this - sounds very original.

However, I suffer from deafness & so playing the CDs sounds like it's going to prevent me from buying Space Alert since I won't be able to follow any directions, music or effects from the CD - unless someone else is there to talk me through it & I think this will detract from the gameplay/atmosphere for me

So, sadly, it looks like I'll have to pass on buying Space Alert in Essen unless there is a alternative design without the soundtrack.

Matt...



There is. If you have no CD-Player (or can't hear it), you can use a timer and scenario cards.
It's explained in more detail in the manuals.

So: buy away!

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think, all the orders given by the instructor (even if he is human and not from the CD), the discussions of the whole crew in real time and so on should lead to some additional house-rules for people depending on reading other people`s lips. Maybe some testing could happen and the time altered or something.

Could be a bit tricky with mixed gamegroups, though.

Well, if you are a sucker for solo games - there we go. Keep time and read the cards by yourself and do all the decisions for all crew-members. I`m not kidding! Official varaint in the rules!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, excellent

Pardon the pun, but that's *music* to my ears
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone could do a sign language + voice + subtitles video so that everyone can be informed at the same time.

I say "someone" because I only have BSL level one! I don't think I'd be good enough... shake (Plus sign language varies from country to country, of course).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sothis wrote:
Someone could do a sign language + voice + subtitles video so that everyone can be informed at the same time.

I say "someone" because I only have BSL level one! I don't think I'd be good enough... shake (Plus sign language varies from country to country, of course).


Great idea, but why so complicated? Do you think, deaf people cannot read? Why not a simple "timed" video with the sentences written appearing and vanishing and some blinking signs for drawing attention? And in between some "space views"?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bigmore
England
Abingdon
Oxon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It wouldn't be too taxing to program a computer to flash up the messages at the required times either.

Actually, that might be rather cool. A big ALERT flashing, perhaps coloured to match the zone, TV static for loss of communications...

Or am I getting a little too Atmosfear?

(See? What duchamp said...)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Could easily be done in powerpoint probably.

Maybe I'll have a go at it
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Baginski
Germany
49074 Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool idea.

That would even rock for all "normal" players, if some people would do the work to integrate the original soundtracks into a cool flash animation.

With atmosphere, it is like with a bottomless hole.
You can never have enough.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that having the alternate script is really a brilliant move.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
duchamp wrote:
Great idea, but why so complicated? Do you think, deaf people cannot read? Why not a simple "timed" video with the sentences written appearing and vanishing and some blinking signs for drawing attention? And in between some "space views"?


Most Deaf people can of course read, but many consider BSL or ASL to be their first language - and it is a language, not just English "signed out". The BBC, for example, finds it worthwhile to sign their programmes, not just subtitle them!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sothis wrote:
duchamp wrote:
Great idea, but why so complicated? Do you think, deaf people cannot read? Why not a simple "timed" video with the sentences written appearing and vanishing and some blinking signs for drawing attention? And in between some "space views"?


Most Deaf people can of course read, but many consider BSL or ASL to be their first language - and it is a language, not just English "signed out". The BBC, for example, finds it worthwhile to sign their programmes, not just subtitle them!


Thanks - I didn`t consider this and you are absolutely correct - hope, you are not offended - didn`t mean it that way.

Sothis wrote:
Someone could do a sign language + voice + subtitles video so that everyone can be informed at the same time.


Still the best "all-in-one-solution", I think.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sothis wrote:

Most Deaf people can of course read, but many consider BSL or ASL to be their first language - and it is a language, not just English "signed out". The BBC, for example, finds it worthwhile to sign their programmes, not just subtitle them!


Funnily enough, I have virtually no knowledge of sign language (BSL, ASl or any sort) & the spoken English is my first & only language. I also have a reading capability beyond most deaf people do; I am lucky I have grasped the English language a lot better than many of the deaf people I've met - at deaf boarding school, socially, etc.

Duchamp - in case you were also worried about me, no offence taken ! nothing you said made me pause for a moment.

Cheers,

Matt...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:


Funnily enough, I have virtually no knowledge of sign language (BSL, ASl or any sort) & the spoken English is my first & only language. I also have a reading capability beyond most deaf people do; I am lucky I have grasped the English language a lot better than many of the deaf people I've met - at deaf boarding school, socially, etc.



Yes, the people who I know who sign are from the boarding school generation. They're not boardgamers, but they love sport and I think they'd like gaming. Unfortunately, moving to Canada, I'm not going to persuade them now!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goran Topic
Japan
Kita-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Also, although I think that the multimedia solution is a cool one (even with "some assembly required"), the rules themselves state that there is no need for everyone to listen to the "computer". The rules encourage the players to appoint a "communications officer" whose job will be to catch every new piece of information, and make sure the crew is informed. Thus, basically, you could play with four deaf players and just one hearing one, as long as the players can understand each other efficiently.

This brings me to another thing that might possibly be an issue for you - the time sounds rather tight, it is important to be able to plan your cards and discuss your strategy with other players at the same time. Do correct me if I'm wrong, but from my experiences with the deaf community, group communication is somewhat slower, since sight is, unlike hearing, directional - you can only pay attention to one speaker/signer at the time. If someone wants to interject, it's impossible without drawing attention first. This might be compounded in a non-signing group, as lip reading is much harder and less efficient (more like a guessing-game-slash-puzzle, and I seriously admire people who do it well). And the game is designed to be tense and invoke the temporal equivalent of claustrophobia, even given optimal communication environment.

I'm not talking you out of the purchase, far from it, just raising another concern you may or may not have thought about, and which may or may not impact your experience
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Hellberg Hellberg
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Faerun wrote:
Could easily be done in powerpoint probably.

Maybe I'll have a go at it


Oh please do!
I'd love to have an actual computer play the role of computer at the table!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
geas wrote:
Faerun wrote:
Could easily be done in powerpoint probably.

Maybe I'll have a go at it


Oh please do!
I'd love to have an actual computer play the role of computer at the table!


While I'm horrible at powerpoint, it shouldn't be too hard I guess. I'll check it out ;]
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Graham
United States
Carmichael
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You should be just fine playing this in a 'hearing' group, with someone with good ears as the communications officer. According to the rulebook, there are only so many types of messages:

- Threats of various kinds, which would prompt someone to draw some sort of threat card, which you would then be able to see and deal with immediately.

- "Incoming Data" - Everyone draws an action card. When everyone else does, you follow suit.

- Operation ends in 1 minute, 20 seconds, etc. The communications officer can hold up a finger, at the one minute, and do a karate chop on the floor (similar to the ASL sign) at the end of the phase.

- "Data Transfer" - Designate a hand signal to mean that you can give a card to someone for a short period of time, and when it's over do the karate chop again.

That's really it. On the other hand, it may be hard to play multi-player and make plans with the other players if you can't hear them very well. But it might be worth a try - it seems like a great game!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought it yesterday.

I'm already making a movie out of the first tutorial, to see how you guys like it.

Since only a limited amount of text is used in each track, I can easily copy/paste the next tracks (if you like the first one of course)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Taylor
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
I'm interested in this - sounds very original.

However, I suffer from deafness & so playing the CDs sounds like it's going to prevent me from buying Space Alert since I won't be able to follow any directions, music or effects from the CD - unless someone else is there to talk me through it & I think this will detract from the gameplay/atmosphere for me

So, sadly, it looks like I'll have to pass on buying Space Alert in Essen unless there is a alternative design without the soundtrack.

Matt...


I always liked your avatar, now it has a whole new meaning.

Also, Matt I would be really glad to help make a powerpoint timed system for you if you'd like one.

I don't have many geek skills but powerpoint and excel, I can rock.

Let me know if you get it and I'd be glad to pitch in.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Matt,

Not to promote it, but I was wondering what you think about the video I uploaded, with subtitles etc.

Would it serve its purpose well, or do you have any suggestions?

Thanks and cheers!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tygo wrote:

I always liked your avatar, now it has a whole new meaning.

Also, Matt I would be really glad to help make a powerpoint timed system for you if you'd like one.

I don't have many geek skills but powerpoint and excel, I can rock.

Let me know if you get it and I'd be glad to pitch in.


Hi Thomas,

Cheers for your reply - I did pick up Space Alert at the last minute today. I'd decided not to, since I didn't know how reliant SA was on the CD etc, but me & my mate decided to go back for a game that he had wanted to pick up before flying home today. Smelling a last-minute opportunity, I decided to take a punt on SA since it was doing well in the Fairplay poll & it seems as though you can do it without the soundtrack.

So,... fire away !

Matt...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Faerun wrote:
Hey Matt,

Not to promote it, but I was wondering what you think about the video I uploaded, with subtitles etc.

Would it serve its purpose well, or do you have any suggestions?

Thanks and cheers!


Hi Nick,

Cheers for this - that's quick work! I've only just got back home so will check out your file shortly & let you know.

Thanks,

Matt...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.