Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like too much hassle just to gain a 5G card once. Are the 5G cards that much better than the 4G ones? Though I do feel that the Workshops tend to jam my hand in the late game, just one use seems too few for the Feast. Is the card good only in combination with the Throne Room?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asa Swain
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Feast and Workshops are okay, but I prefer to use Mines and Moneylenders to increase my purchasing power, becuase they're more flexible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
The key to Dominion Strategy is deciding what you can use together, and what you can't. If you have decided to work on a strategy that requires several 5-cost cards, and no 4-cost ones, then the Feast is the perfect way to (eventually) get the cards you want without, and this is important, mucking up your deck with cards you don't want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Kwan wrote:
Is the card good only in combination with the Throne Room?

It is awesome with the Throne Room, isn't it?

Besides the Throne Room and David's excellent point about not buying cards you don't want, there are some card combinations which make it hard to acquire enough to buy Provinces, and Duchy's will often win the game decisively. In these cases, getting a Feast helps you get a Duchy the next shuffle (potentially), so is often a good buy.

Every card has it's uses. You just have to figure out when that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At first I thought the Feast seemed weak, but then I started buying it sometimes because I liked the idea of getting to ditch it for a card I really wanted, rather than ending up with a 3 or 4 cost card that I didn't particularly want and a 5 card cost on a later turn when I have enough money. So on a turn where I have enough for the Feast but not enough for a 5 cost card, but don't really want anything else, then the Feast seems like a perfect choice. I think keeping your deck lean can be a good mantra at times. Not good for every situation, but there seemed to be times when it worked very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume the same is true of the Village. They seem to be the first pile to disappear. Their use is more obvious and automatic to beginners. I suspect either the Village is lose a little of its shine over time, or that other cards will prove to be more subtly useful. Dominion really is a blast trying out different ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the village (+2 actions, +1 card) does seem like a great deal at a cost of only 3, especially since it effectively doesn't waste any space in your deck since it replaces itself in your hand once you play it. Although I prefer the Laboratory (+2 cards, +1 action), but I think it costs 5, if I remember correctly, which makes the village a lot easier to just settle for when you get a not so great draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Barksdale
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's certainly impressive when someone does a long Village chain, and with the right action mix they can be pretty powerful. I think the people buying them on the first two turns are probably wrong though, since they don't even have the possibility to do anything until you get two more non-replacing actions. I like Silver + Smithy for my first two turns in the base set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like the Feast, but others have found it useful. Especially early in the game, it can help you get a card into your deck that you couldn't otherwise afford.

The Village is less useful than people imagine. I've seen someone burn through a good part of their deck with +x Action cards, only to wind up with lots of extra Actions remaining, but only one or two coins and a few (useless) Victory cards left in their hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Village is very useful if you have lots of action cards, especially those without +X actions, in your deck. But not before that, i.e. not in the early game.

When playing the basic game, one should be aware of getting too many of those aforementioned action cards without getting enough villages, just because one often has more than $3 and doesn't want to "waste" money.

BTW, just played a game in which the adventurer was in. Yes, it is really worth the $6. But buy the gold first before you buy this. My opponent was getting Villages while I was getting Festivals. And I won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Barksdale
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of Adventurer, I had a Chapel endgame where my deck was 3 Gold, 1 Silver, Adventurer, a leftover Chapel, and several Provinces. It's pretty hard not to hit $8 every turn with that deck.

One thing that hasn't been brought up is how good the Feast is as something you get from a Workshop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found one possible answer to my own question.

Required: Feast, Laboratory

Buy nothing but Feast, Laboratory, and Silver (and Provinces etc.). You may add in a few other cards eventually (Markets etc.).

Does that work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Starkgraf
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
That has some potential, but I've personally found that the feast works in perfect conjunction with the throne room. If you throne a feast, you can grab2 5cost items, like duchies. If done early in the game with a large # of feasts, you can wipe the duchy stack clean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Ikerd
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my limited experience, Feast is only good in the early game if there is a preponderance of 5 cost cards and less useful 4 cost cards. In a Chapel deck its a good sacrifice for a Labratory or Coucil Chamber since it thins itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.