Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Monsterpocalypse» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First 3 games...with my wife...in Spanish! Defender X vs. Terra Khan rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Louzao
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of things right off the bat:

1) This is my first ever post onto BGG, although I've been lurking daily since at least 2005 or something!

2) This game is fantastic. Generally I prefer straight-up boardgames (Race for the Galaxy, Hive, Stone Age, and Yspahan have been occupying me lately), but this game is really fun, gorgeous, and deeply thematic. Plus, it's strategically/tactically deep enough that it'll last a long time.

Okay, onto the session report.

My wife is primarily a Spanish speaker, so my first task was to read the rules 3-4 times to make sure that I knew them well, then I proceeded to explain the game in Spanish as we played a simple game (no power attacks, no abilities, and limited use of terrain and cover rules) with Defender X and Terra Khan, plus 5 units each. Even at this basic level, the game was very fun, and my wife beat me handily with her Terra Khan. Lots of brawl attacks plus her two Spikodons (strong blast attacks) did me in.

Second game, we added 4 of the 8 power attacks, plus all terrain rules and concepts like flight and jump. Once again, my wife cleaned my clock with her Terra Khan and her 2 Spikodons, and by the end of the game we were spinning ourselves around like ballroom dancers doing body slams into buildings. It was a blast.

For the third game, I used powerpoint and images from the game's website to create quick reference cards in Spanish for her whole Terrasaur army, as well as for all the buildings. It took me about an hour. We then spent about 15 minutes studying all of this, plus the other 4 power attacks, before playing a full game, which included building selection, 9 unit armies, and all of the abilities. My wife told me that it was definitely overwhelming trying to put all of the information together (especially all of the unit abilities, like Brontox's nesting and dig-in, for example), and I did end up winning, using Ultra Defender X's blow-back ability to knock Terra Khan into fiery buildings each turn. In retrospect, my wife agreed that she needed to play to the Terrasaurs' strengths of hunting in groups and brawling, and she is very, very excited for the next game.

I think this the kind of game that is hard to learn at first, but once you have practiced everything through play, it becomes intuitive. I think the ease with which we played this bilingually is a testament to that.

Just like I love Race for the Galaxy for its use of language independent icons, kudos to privateer for doing the same thing with its symbols. My wife and I say muchas, muchas gracias.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought Spanish rules were available for download from the website? I admit I haven't tried them out, but the links are there. http://www.monsterpocalypsegame.com/free-stuff#goodies , bottom of the page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Louzao
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, there they are! Didn't even know. And another kudos to Privateer Press!

However, in all cases I knew that I'd be the only one reading the rule book, and it was great practice for my Spanish. But still, from here on out I'll use the official Spanish rulebook.

Thanks for the link!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to help. Wish I could post a similar session report, but my wife generally won't play wargames .

I am looking for tips on demoing the game, though. Which of the 4 power attacks did you use in your second game, and which abilities? I've been trying to come up with an abbreviated list of stuff for teaching games like this, but obviously your list has worked at least once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Louzao
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I taught the four that I thought were the most simple:

-body slam
-headbutt
-ram
-swat

I also included terrain abilities like jump and fly and all-terrain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.