Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy all,

We're actually getting ready to finally start our campaign tonight - and as I'm in the process of getting things ready I recalled this:

Kevin Wilson wrote:
I will errata this in the next FAQ. If the overlord goes through his entire deck 3 times (or 4 times for a Rumor or Legendary Area), the heroes immediately flee the dungeon.

When the heroes get their last training opportunity after the campaign reaches 600+ conquest, the Overlord may purchase one final upgrade as well.

From this thread (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/308298) back in April.

Kevin's post implies that this was going to be added to the FAQ/Errata sheet. I have the version from July, 2008 and this does not appear to be in place - does anyone know if this errata was dropped intentionally, or if this was an oversight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never cared for Kevin's first suggested change. It was in response to some "hero" players intentionally stalling and killing themselves over and over in a dungeon to force the endgame, thus avoiding losing to the OL through plot completion or razing Tamalir. While I see the need for the rules as presented for this fix, I'd rather see them fix the entire Endgame option instead.

The second rule just seems to make sense. Again, if the game didn't require an artificial Endgame phase that disregarded the entire structure of the rest of the game, this wouldn't be necessary, either. But enough people seemed to think it unfair that the Heroes got one last chance to train before teleporting to the OL keep. Why bother having an overland map if you're just going to ignore it during the final part of the game? It's very abstract and I don't fully understand why the Endgame is essentially an entirely different game than the rest of RtL.

Maybe the fact that neither were incorporated into the July FAQ indicate that Kevin had some later thoughts on these rules and decided they didn't warrant going into the FAQ. Most hero groups won't try to pull such a cheap stunt, and other can house rule the second one to taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedShark92 wrote:
Kevin's post implies that this was going to be added to the FAQ/Errata sheet. I have the version from July, 2008 and this does not appear to be in place - does anyone know if this errata was dropped intentionally, or if this was an oversight?

Well, there have been a few "on the spot rulings" made by Kevin and that never made it into the FAQ. You can check Makabriel's list of questions on the FFG forum to see a bunch of them. Of the whole lot, there is only one of those rulings which I don't apply in my games (because poor Kev clearly was drunk that day ).

As for those two rules, I think they work fine. Mind you, the "auto-forfeit" rule never came close to occurring in our games, anyway.

In general, I tend to weight my sources like so:
1- The latest FAQ
2- Kevin's personal feedback/posts
3- The original rulebooks
4- My opinion and/or the BGG consensus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.