Subject: Is there a beginner's scenario? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: WWI [+] PoG [+] [View All]
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
Paths of Glory sounds like a great game but I don't have 20 hours available to set aside just to learn the game and start playing it, plus I develop migraines with game manuals of 50 pages. Is there an introductory scenario that takes just a couple hours that will instruct me on the basic mechanics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure the more experienced players will chime in on this shortly.

There is an introductory scenario that covers only the opening campaigns of the war, i.e. only the first few turns. There is also a second scenario that goes up until the mid-war. I think both of these are regarded as a poor measure of the game's potential and are generally considered not worth purchasing the game for.

There is also a tournament version in the game files section that has supposedly been playtested. I haven't studied it but I would guess that has a more reasonable length.

In my opinion, however, if you can't ever devote time and space to the full game then Paths of Glory may simply not be for you. There are a ton of other card-driven strategy games that play much more quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some later-starting scenarios available that play out in a few hours. Playing the game online via ACTS or Wargameroom is a great way to familiarize yourself with the rules and to learn some tips from more experienced players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hansolo88 wrote:
In my opinion, however, if you can't ever devote time and space to the full game then Paths of Glory may simply not be for you. There are a ton of other card-driven strategy games that play much more quickly.

Thanks for the responses. I would be happy to devote enough time to play the game once I am fairly familiar with it. I've learned other games where just the first turn has taken 2-3 hours because of having to fumble through 60 page rulebooks looking up dozens of fiddly factors in play from the start. I do better when I can learn a game through a "Basic Game" scenario -- just to get some of the mechanics of the game down. Then once over that hump, I'm happy to bring in the complexities. I understand that the basic game is likely to be less interesting, but if I can learn a complex game in steps rather than all at once, it's not so overwhelming. Avalon-Hill and SPI were great for Basic Game rules which could be mastered and then move on to the Advanced and Tournament rules. That's what I'm looking for with PoG -- learning it in steps rather than all at once.

My grandfather was a decorated WWI war hero and the "Great War" has always held special interest for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clifford Mudd
United States
O Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paths of glory (2004 Edition) rulebook is only 32 pages long. Of this only 20 pages are actually for the rules. The rest is the card notes, designer notes, exteneded example of play and the set up information.

You are probably hearing about the new game Pursuit of Glory which has a much longer rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Michael,
I live in Sydney, Australia, but I'd be happy to teach it to you, as I have to a few others, if you can make it to the computer at Australian time 16:30+ (I think about 11:30pm in the USA)?
Nathan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael, I might have misunderstood you. I thought you were asking if there was a short scenario that you could play in place of the main campaign game. However, it sounds as if you are simply asking if there is an introductory scenario that you can play with prior to tackling the main game. In this case, I think the introductory scenario will be quite good. The scale of the game is the same but the length is a lot shorter, letting you learn from your mistakes and get the mechanics down.

The rules are really not that bad, the actual rules governing movement and combat are quite simple. It's the structure of the turn and the multitude of exceptions that bog the game down, but they generally make logical or historical sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hansolo88 wrote:
..if there is an introductory scenario that you can play with prior to tackling the main game. In this case, I think the introductory scenario will be quite good.

Hi Ryan, Yes, that was exactly what I was asking, but probably not very clearly. Just looking for an introductory scenario to get familiar with the play mechanics before taking on the entire rulebook. With an introductory game or two under my belt, then I'd be looking forward to immersing myself in the complete game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erez Ben-Aharon
Australia
Civic Square
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lol, I live in Canberra, was wondering if the offer to teach
still stands?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.