Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, my thanks to all who have gotten involved in the BGG Secret Santa thus far.

I have been fairly vocal in keeping it an international affair, and have done so thus far. However, I also realize that this keeps people who have lower budgets from participating.

So we have added an option that allows you to choose which countries you would be willing to ship to. Your target would then be someone from one of those countries. You can also click "willing to ship anywhere".

A couple of notes:

1.) If you have already signed up, you have, as default, the "willing to ship anywhere" function already checked. If you want to change this, you need to do so.

2.) I would encourage people who can ship across the world to continue to do so - this will keep the international flavor strong.

3.) If you are from a country that has only a few participants (i.e. SOUTH KOREA), then I would strongly suggest you increase your country options, or you may end up with the only other person who entered from your country.

4.) I'm sure that some people may consider trying to "game" the system. Don't. We will keep an eye on this, and anyone who is trying to "give small, receive big" will be noted for next year's event.

5.) For folks who like the international flavor, don't panic! We already have 700 folks willing to ship all over the world. These changes will only allow more to join in.

I hope that this becomes a positive thing, allowing more people to join the program!

Thanks again to all who participate.

• [+] Dice rolls
Lou Seelbach
United States
Huntington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank goodness. I shipped to some strange Eastern European country last year, and would like to ship to my same continent this time. Canada's cool too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squeeker
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Tom!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Perry
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Ex-Term-In-Ate
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Tom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Self Appointed Senator of Good Ideas
Other-South Pacific
Coming Soon
Castle GreySkull
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Lou-Dawg wrote:
Canada's cool too.

Hellss Yahhh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I'm disappointed by this change and do not feel that it is inclusive to allow people to choose to exclude others from receiving gifts from them. Tom, this is a very sad change.

But, it is your Secret Santa to run, so I'll have to get over it.

There is one problem with this: I would like assurance that I won't have to send a gift to someone who has chosen to limit who they will send a gift to. I.e. we should have the option 'willing to send to anyone who is willing to send anywhere'.

It would be highly unreasonable to have a situation where someone unwilling to send to me in Fredonia is eligible to receive my gift from Fredonia.

Can you provide assurance that we won't be sending gifts people who have restricted their gift giving to exclude people from our own part of the world?

thanks,
Robin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Seelbach
United States
Huntington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
noddingoff wrote:
I'm disappointed by this change and do not feel that it is inclusive to allow people to choose to exclude others from receiving gifts from them. Tom, this is a very sad change.

But, it is your Secret Santa to run, so I'll have to get over it.

There is one problem with this: I would like assurance that I won't have to send a gift to someone who has chosen to limit who they will send a gift to. I.e. we should have the option 'willing to send to anyone who is willing to send anywhere'.

It would be highly unreasonable to have a situation where someone unwilling to send to me in Fredonia is eligible to receive my gift from Fredonia.

Can you provide assurance that we won't be sending gifts people who are unwilling to send gifts to us?

thanks,

Robin

Why does it matter?

Retribution is not part of Christmas.

Just because someone in Eastern Yugoslavakistan can't afford to ship their package outside of Europe because the Eastern Yugoslavakistan post office is notoriously corrupt, shouldn't make you less willing to give him a little holiday cheer.
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Your offensive comment obviously bears no relation to my thoughts on this, so no point responding....

Tom: please note that the options page is screwed up. I went in to look at the page and it changed me to 'ship anywere: no' without me unclicking the button *and* it won't allow me to change it back to 'ship anywhere: yes'....

Robin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott De Regt
Australia
Montville
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
disapointing... I guess it had to happen though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Fluck
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lou-Dawg wrote:

Seriously. This is about everyone involved giving what they can, and including as many people as possible. This is not about 'us vs them'

All this harping on minor points and insulting of people is really hurting my Christmas cheer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
noddingoff wrote:
Your offensive comment obviously bears no relation to my thoughts on this, so no point responding....

Offensive? Dood, he's totally right. The goal is to do something nice for a stranger and make them happy. Not to do something nice for someone how you feel is worthy of your gift. Hells, I wouldn't mind if you couldn't even get info on who you are sending to. Just get an address and a wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Heaton
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Come back Bale...
badge
In 'Arry we trust!
mbmbmbmb
I'd like to assure you all that I am willing to ship to Yugoslavastakivania, wherever that may be (I'm a geography teacher as well), so rest assured slavastakivanians, I am there for you.

Its worth reminding people that they don't have to personalise their gift, you can order from the country or a nearby one like the Dem. Rep of Uzkastantinopolis, and the shipping difference is negligiable to normal (wherever that may be). So that is an option for the bugetarilly limited. Lets be honest a random game turning up at your door is exciting wheather or not it has some homemade cookies or is SWALK.

Anyway, ta for doing this Mr. Tom, should be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
fluc02 wrote:
Seriously. This is about everyone involved giving what they can, and including as many people as possible. This is not about 'us vs them'

It is excluding people to say that you will not ship to people because of where they live. It is inclusive to say "I will ship to any place on the globe."

cheers,

Robin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for keeping us informed Tom. I just like to say that I disagree with this decision, but obviously it is your baby and I will participate regardless. This does now make the regional Secret Santas unneccesary, which I suppose will make things easier for those organizing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
I fixed the glitch - BTW we can't win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
Minor moan about the countries list

I am still trying to forget that Wales won the 6 Nations this year cry (that's Rugby to those you don't know sports)

So I was surprised to see that England, Scotland and Wales, Isle of Man, Jersey, Guernsey are listed separately, but no Northern Ireland or Sark ?

A common point of confusion, because the media often uses the term England when it really should be Britain or, more likely, the United Kingdom; so please, please, please just have the United Kingdom in the list, or will this muck up the country exclusion logic when matching to the BGGer's Country info ?

p.s. I am willing to ship anywhere, my only exception would be if a Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe wants a copy of The Wealth of Nations then I will have to decline, and send him 1960 instead

p.p.s Well done to the taffs in the rugger, good luck for next year, yer gunna need it ! angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Aldie wrote:
BTW we can't win.

I do recognize that, Aldie, which is why as saddened by this as I am, I've indicated that I will have to just get over it and get on with it....and it is *just* a BGG Secret Santa, too! Got much more important things to get all worked up about....

all the best,

Robin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
Twilight Imperium 3rd - Forever
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not mind the change but will keep my original plans of shipping anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Let it ride, Tom". I'll keep the default checked. Davido plan of attack:
1) see where recipient(s) are
2) if non-US
a) see if there is a FOLGS (Friendly On-Line Game Store) in the country or nearby (or say European Common Market etc.)
b) see if there are any 'game mules' heading that way that can drop it in the local post
c) see if any of my 'gently used' games are on the wish list for 'owned with care, given with love'
and THEN ship flat rate priority
-->Are there any countries where USPS does NOT ship flat rate international priority mail?

so while I have a $100 operating budget, I think that if I end up going international that I should be able to give a "main game", a "mini/card/expansion game" and perhaps something personal/local.

so bring 'em on. I ended up giving/getting from the US last year, but in the spirit of adventure/giving, I'm willing to let Tom roll dem bones and give where they land
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
noddingoff wrote:

His comment is logical and well-stated. Which, to you, seems to mean offensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having the option is ok but it does seem to go against the whole theme and spirit behind giving and receiving.

I can understand that people might want to ship within their own country to keep it simple, keep it cheaper, etc.

I've had a range of gifts the last three years ranging from hand-made dinos for Trias (and Evo) to a really late (received in Feb?), poorly packed set of two Star Wars Attacktix boosters.

However, I've never NOT had fun giving and receiving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ibn_ul_khattab wrote:
Thanks for keeping us informed Tom. I just like to say that I disagree with this decision, but obviously it is your baby and I will participate regardless. This does now make the regional Secret Santas unneccesary, which I suppose will make things easier for those organizing them.

This doesn't necessarily negate the regional SS as people might have opted to ship internationally (For example, I did).

In any case, all of this is optional.

Most importantly, thanks Tom for organising this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ibn_ul_khattab wrote:
This does now make the regional Secret Santas unneccesary, which I suppose will make things easier for those organizing them.

Unnecessary though it may be, the NZ/AU Secret Santa already has more participants than last year, and will continue as planned.

edited to add: I would like to thank Tom for having the humility to alter his original vision of Secret Santa. I know from last year's debate how passionate you are about this, Tom. To make the change couldn't have been an easy decision. How I feel abuot it doesn't matter. What does matter is it seals my involvement in Secret Santa. Well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Lou-Dawg wrote:

Why does it matter?

Just because someone in Eastern Yugoslavakistan can't afford to ship their package outside of Europe because the Eastern Yugoslavakistan post office is notoriously corrupt, shouldn't make you less willing to give him a little holiday cheer.

I think you're confusing the Eastern Yugoslavakistan post office with the Western Yugoslavakistan post office. Now those are some corrupt MoFos!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
billsaints wrote:
I'd like to assure you all that I am willing to ship to Yugoslavastakivania, wherever that may be (I'm a geography teacher as well), so rest assured slavastakivanians, I am there for you.

Its worth reminding people that they don't have to personalise their gift, you can order from the country or a nearby one like the Dem. Rep of Uzkastantinopolis, and the shipping difference is negligiable to normal (wherever that may be). So that is an option for the bugetarilly limited. Lets be honest a random game turning up at your door is exciting wheather or not it has some homemade cookies or is SWALK.

Anyway, ta for doing this Mr. Tom, should be fun.

I just bet that your geography classes are a hoot!laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.