Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence Spode
United States
Mount Airy
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know anything about the convention Fall In that is in Gettysburg in November? Is it pretty much just miniatures? What is the Flea Market like?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Thomasovich
United States
Tewksbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here's the website: http://www.fall-in.org/

It's primarily (i.e., almost 100%) miniatures. I've been once and enjoyed it. Attendance is not too crowded, not too sparse and the weather tends to be nice. Great location, also. I'm not a big flea market guy so I'll let someone else weigh in on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Last day for discounted pre-reg for HMGS-East members is TODAY (Oct 23). Register online using Paypal or credit card. Non-members, of course, may also register online.

The con is the smallest of the three HMGS-East convention events in terms of attendance, and roughly on a par with Cold Wars for dealers. The flea market is always pretty interesting and includes both miniatures (painted and otherwise) and boardgames as well as many books, model kits and the occasional incredibly obscure item (a few years I got one of those self-propelled plastic battleships they sold in the '60s, in good condition (but missing the crew, plane and missiles) for $35.).

The event is held in two separate structures, the main hotel (two large rooms for gaming and at least six smaller ones) and the sports complex (dealers, flea market and a large open-gaming area). Transport between the two is provided by shuttle buses (DO NOT smoke or cause a spark on the shuttle buses, at least one of which smells like it could explode from accumulated gasoline fumes at any moment) during dealer hours.

Food is reasonably priced though availability is spotty compared to events at the Lancaster Host (the hot-sandwich folks outside the dealer area pack it in surprisingly early) but there are tons of places to eat in G-burg just a couple of miles north (check out the Dobbin House Downstairs tavern, which has an authentic Colonial-era wooden tavern bar with the wooden bars used to secure the spirits at night to keep snoozing lodgers from pilfering; the Dobbin House also displays a hiding space used when the residence served as an Underground Railway stop--a photo of the entrance (behind a movable spice shelf) was once published in "National Geographic"--ask one of the staff to direct you to it).

Your question seems to come down to "is `Fall In' worth attending?"

I'd say yes; I've never missed one.

P.S. Last year's "Fall In" was where I got to play "Inside the Armor" when the designers hosted walk-up prototype games. Fascinating idea, absorbing game, easily learned, played to conclusion (my BISMARCK capsized! should have counterflooded instead of fighting the fire adjacent to Turret Cora's magazine!) in just over half an hour. Perhaps they'll be there again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.