Popular Tags: [View All]
Marlin Back
United States
COLUMBUS
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an unpunched copy of Deluxe Ogre and I sincerely do not want to use it, but my brother moved away and I gave him our working copy of Ogre as a going away present since they say a reprint is on the horizon. I am jonesing for a game of Ogre and just want to know how much longer I have to wait. My name is Marlinus64 and I am an Ogreholic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Word on the street is that this game is Steve Jackson's beloved baby. He's aspired to having it done and re-done over the years, often foiled by the foibles of the industry - your miniature manufacturer goes out of business, you take forever to get to press, blah, blah blah.

But the main problem is that they make money hand over fist on Munchkin. While old skool people like you and I love this game, it isn't where the money is, apparently...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shucks, I thought it was actually close to publication.

Can't quite understand the pricing issues. Look at the tactical S/F game Asmodee was able to put out with a box, sturdy and colorful counters, map and a reasonable price.

Why can't this happen with OGRE/GEV?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry Kendall wrote:
Shucks, I thought it was actually close to publication.

Can't quite understand the pricing issues. Look at the tactical S/F game Asmodee was able to put out with a box, sturdy and colorful counters, map and a reasonable price.

Why can't this happen with OGRE/GEV?

I think SJG is quite poor compared to Asmodee and the like. And Asmodee is geared for producing fancy games with full plastic components. SJG has always had problems with poor components. I'd love to see a version with plastic units and beautiful full color board but I expect we won't get that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm....
ScottE wrote:
I think SJG is quite poor compared to Asmodee and the like.

+
Quote:
SJG has always had problems with poor components.

...doesn't compute.

Their costs are lower (quite a bit, if components are the measure), and yet their MSRP isn't much different. Just replace "poor" with "rich", and "had problems" with "gotten away", and it all makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heartbreak, you know, drives a big, black car. Swear I was in the backseat just minding my own..
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is he reworking the rules (which don't need reworking in my opinion) or just upgrading the components (about which I don't care)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mistermarino wrote:
Is he reworking the rules (which don't need reworking in my opinion) or just upgrading the components (about which I don't care)?

I believe there's a tiny bit of rules work (some errata/oddity, nothing major), but the components are big hangup. SJG didn't like the bids from the printers, so something has to give.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seth verdot
United States
Jefferson City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marlinus64 wrote:
I have an unpunched copy of Deluxe Ogre and I sincerely do not want to use it, but my brother moved away and I gave him our working copy of Ogre as a going away present since they say a reprint is on the horizon. I am jonesing for a game of Ogre and just want to know how much longer I have to wait. My name is Marlinus64 and I am an Ogreholic...

I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned this, yet.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=691314&postcount=14

Punch that baby out, because Mister Jackson himself tells us that the wait has only just begun.

"We are closing in on a final schedule for 2009, and Ogre 6th Edition is not on it. " soblue

At least, it appears that Jackson wants to have it done, and done right. Here's hoping they can figure out a profitable way to get OGRE back in print sooner rather than later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlin Back
United States
COLUMBUS
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad news indeed. The economic downturn is no doubt going to cause other setbacks in the board game world as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.