Pursuit of Glory» Forums » Rules

Subject: Balkan units rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Stock
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I see what you're thinking. Good question. European Turkey is Constantinople and westward, as the rule states. The following squares are considered European Turkey: Constantinople , Catalca, Rodosto, and Adrianople.

Now, the Gallipolli map is technically half in European Turkey, and half in mainland Turkey, so I can see what you were thinking in including it in the Balkans. However, this has never been playtested, so at this time I would say that officially you can't bring Balkans units down there (though you're welcome to give it a try and let us know what happens).

The rule should perhaps have said "...European Turkey (all spaces from Constantinople westward *on the main map*)..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Stock
United States
Elsah
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone asked:

The Beachhead next to Smyrna/Izmir is NOT in the Balkans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
brianstock wrote:
Now, the Gallipolli map is technically half in European Turkey, and half in mainland Turkey, so I can see what you were thinking in including it in the Balkans. However, this has never been playtested, so at this time I would say that officially you can't bring Balkans units down there (though you're welcome to give it a try and let us know what happens).

We played our first Pursuit yesterday, and since we couldn't find anything definitive in the rules, we ruled that spaces on the Gallipoli map on the western side of the Dardanelles were Balkan spaces. This has the following effects:

1) AP Balkan MOs can be satisfied by attacks in Gallipoli.

2) The one-space attack rule cuts down on the activity in the theatre. This is mainly a limiting factor for the player on the offense, so it both hampers the CP's ability to attack both the Serbs and deal with Gallipoli, but it also means that breaking out of Salonika and Gallipoli at the same time is hard for the AP player.

3) GE corps retained after the collapse of Serbia and Romania can be brought into Gallipoli, where the GE IX in particular can wreak havoc.

4) Consequently, the value of units brought back with the event that allows re-introduction of withdrawn GE/AH units at -1 VP apiece is far greater with this definition of the Balkans, since they can be used for beating back the AP landing at Gallipoli.

5) [Edit:] AP can avoid the +1 VP due to Serbian collapse by invading Gallipoli, reducing the pressure to invade Salonika.

On balance, I'd probably not recommend playing this way but it didn't break the game. (Even though I killed the AP at Salonika, got Greece with me and the GE IX with Falkenhayn, Mackensen and the Heavy Arty deployed at Gallipoli, I still lost due to Allenby reaching Erzincan.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No! The Balkan restrictions apply to AP units drawing supply solely through a Greek port and CP units attacking in or into Greece

So, even if Gallipoli was part of the Balkans (which it isn't) the restrictions would not apply there, well not unless Lemnos is a Greek port and then only for the Allies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.