James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From www.boardgamenews.com :

"Conflict of Heroes: Steel Rain – Russia, 1943-1945, the second title in the CoH from Uwe Eickert should be released at Origins 2009 in June. The swamp board, previously released as a bonus item, is being packaged with a few scenarios from Eickert and should be available from distributors by the end of November. "

I can understand packaging those scenarios with the swamp board - I hope they will all be released on the web for those of us who already have the swamp board though!

And Uwe - just let us know when Steel Rain is up for preorder!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
I can understand packaging those scenarios with the swamp board - I hope they will all be released on the web for those of us who already have the swamp board though!

I hope not. Why should people be expected to pay for material that's freely available?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
Felkor wrote:

I hope not. Why should people be expected to pay for material that's freely available?

My assumption is that the swamp map will go for the same price it always has - it is just now getting some firefights added to it to make the purchase worthwhile.

I've paid (and received) the swamp map, and I think it's a pretty cool map, but to spend $10 + shipping for only 1 firefight doesn't seem like the best buy. I purchased it with the assumption that more firefights would be made available. So I am expecting to still get my money's worth out of the purchase, but from what's available right now, I'd say that hasn't happened yet.

For someone who isn't big on the whole "internet" thing, though, you don't want to walk into a store and find something you can buy that will add nothing to the game because it doesn't come with scenarios. It looks like Uwe has decided to make the swamp map a much more "official" expansion, and send it out to stores. Adding actual firefights into that package, so someone can see it on the shelf, purchase it, bring it home, and immediately start using it without having to go searching on the internet for firefights is a big deal.

To me this move is to cater towards those purchasers - people who see the item at the store and pick it up, possibly as an impulse buy.

I would certainly expect that those of us who purchased the map as soon as it was available should hardly be penalized for doing so. If you start penalizing early adopters, people will stop adopting early.

Furthermore, Uwe has posted all the firefights for the original game on the website - every one is available for download. I don't see why he would break this trend for the swamp map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve maul
United States
West Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say based on how the game looks, plays and how it ranks on BGG Uwe seems to know what he is doing.

That's not a shot at either of you, just saying I think he will do what needs to be done in both areas.

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Martel
Canada
Stoneham
Qc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
Felkor wrote:

Euh, they'll be paying for the map. Having the firefights included is just a bonus. Plus, it's not like all the firefights of the original games aren'T posted on CoH website already...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good news but it would be nice to be able to buy Conflict of Heroes first.

Still no sign of stock in UK, hoping it will appear over the next couple of weeks. My fear is that when it does arrive it will be in very small numbers which sell out quickly before I have chance to buy.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.