Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it worth the two hours?
Or am I better off playing an hour of Puerto Rico?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Experienced players won't take two hours. It's about 15-20 minutes a player. I've played 5-players in an hour.

It's also quite different from PR. So yes, I do believe it's worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hemsley
Italy
Desio
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It definitely shouldn't take that long, but I have had the unfortunate experience of sitting in a game where one of the players wasn't really paying attention that probably lasted longer than 2 hours.

Just make sure people are ready with their action when it's their turn.

--James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would pick this over Puerto Rico any day. I don't think I've ever taken 2 hours to play this, even with 5. If it does take that long, it's not the time type of game to drag, since there is plenty to think about during your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would expect 2 hours if it is the first play for people. As well, if anyone in the group tends to analyze their move and take some time doing it, it will always go long. I like it around 1.5 hours...2 hours it drags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It took us two hours to play a 5 player game. Only one of us had played previously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Borden
United States
Somerset
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first play was about 2 hours, after that it got considerably shorter with each play to where a 4 or 5 player game now takes about an hour. Just to be fair, my first play of PR was about 3 hours.

Cuba does not suffer from seating order issues when playing with different levels of players. It is from the same school of player interaction as PR, but it is very much a completely different game worth playing. I prefer Cuba to PR, since I think I have more control over my turn choices instead of being forced to obvious best plays or least helpful moves for my opponents most turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Mixemong
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Cuba and yes it was about 2 hours with 5 people when we were learning the game. After the learning curve it does not and should not it ever take 2 hours to play, unless you are playing with real RUM and CIGARS.
I enjoy the fact that you can play with only 2 people, when I can get my wife away from school and work. It's not great with 2 people but it still works.

Definately worth a look and a few plays, and then you too can enjoy the fruits of your labor as your workers and politicians exploit Cuba for all it's worth.

Enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuba is pegged as being shorter than PR. Of course, that's assuming all variables and factors being equal. Same group, same level of experience, then yes, I'd say Cuba will take shorter than PR.

I remember my first game of PR with 3p took over 2 hours. Only one guy was experienced, who also moderated the game.

My 2nd game of Cuba took 1h48m. The 3 other players were new to the game, and I had to look up alot of the rules to confirm. If your group can keep PR lt 60 min, more plays of Cuba will bring that time dramatically as well

Cuba is certainly a refreshing alternative to PR. I would imagine PR is so mainstream and overplayed by now that people practically just memorize "opening hands".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A first game with 5 new players took 2 hours, but I doubt it would take that with experienced players.

And yes, it's worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam K
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if it would take two hours, what's the deal? I love boardgames and I enjoy every minute playing them. It's not like you are bored through a Cuba game. IF it takes that long, then you all will be surprised after the game, because the time flew by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our game nights are typically 4 hours, so a two-hour game takes up half the night. In general, I'd rather play two one hour games than one two hour, unless the game is exceptional...Power Grid for instance is exceptional, and I would gladly play two games of that over four games of anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:
Our game nights are typically 4 hours, so a two-hour game takes up half the night. In general, I'd rather play two one hour games than one two hour, unless the game is exceptional...Power Grid for instance is exceptional, and I would gladly play two games of that over four games of anything else.
ugh yuk

First game of Power Grid with the China map (3 of us have played PG before, with one complete newbie to the game) took under 3 hours.

One subsequent game on the US map with 6 experienced players took around 3 hours as well.

A 2hr game of PG would certainly elevate it's position in my books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Bagherra wrote:
ugh yuk

First game of Power Grid with the China map (3 of us have played PG before, with one complete newbie to the game) took under 3 hours.

One subsequent game on the US map with 6 experienced players took around 3 hours as well.

1. do you use the paper money or poker chips? (improvement #1)
2. do you have calculators handy? (improvement #2...I have 5 from the dollar store)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's funny; I found the 2 player version too short. Is there a way to add a couple extra rounds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Keates
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emperor JD wrote:
That's funny; I found the 2 player version too short. Is there a way to add a couple extra rounds?

pick up the expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
20-25 mins per player. According to BGG you should play Puerto Rico. I guess it depends on how much you agree with the ratings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
Bagherra wrote:
ugh yuk

1. do you use the paper money or poker chips? (improvement #1)
2. do you have calculators handy? (improvement #2...I have 5 from the dollar store)
Nope and Nope. For the people who enjoy it, they don't get enough a chances to play it to warrant poker chips

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cube is one of my favorite games and, yes, when we've played some folks have commented (pre-expansion) that the game was too short.

The expansion adds, what, two more turns to the game? It's especially nice to have that extra bit of game because, at the "normal" end, you can feel your economy just starting to hum. 2 more rounds improves an already outstanding game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.