Popular Tags: [View All]
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to play games wherever I have a chance to play them. One of my favorite places to go is Alte, a quaint village near where I live.

This is the bridge over the small river in Alte and the way into the fountains. It is a nice place, peaceful and quiet, where nothing ever happens. It is also a place that survived the 1755 earthquake so many old buildings still stand. Anyways,

This is our favorite picnic area. It's located besides a small waterfall and it's a pleasant place to be and play some games. It's near the local cemetery but that's never a problem around here. You can spot a variety of birds that usually nest around this place, amongst them eagle owls and hawks.

And yeap, they have ducks and geese. Lots of them. Who will pester you for food and chase you and honk at you when you're playing games. Just the friendly sort of fowl we love!

The entryway into the fountains. It also has a nice restaurant, which is the building you see, that serves traditional food. Their eggs and peas is wonderful.

Throughout the village you'll find this, decorated tiles, a traditional specialty of our country. You'll find these everywhere here but in Alte they're used quite perfectly to convey scenes long past.

And then there's the houses, each decorated as typically as possible, including dangling little people on their walls.

The typical streets in Alte, narrow and full of ambiance. Notice how most houses are painted white, that's because houses in this region are always painted white, it's traditional and practical as well since this is a hot place most of the time and the whiteness of the houses help cool them inside. As a note, we always use lime as the stuff to paint the houses white, it's been like that for centuries.

Some typical views of Alte. What you see is the traditional house's architecture in this region. Most houses are from the 18th and 19th century along with some new ones. The style is your typical Algarve village style with practical houses, often with a vegetable garden out in the back.

A shot of the small river that runs thought Alte.

And here we have a basic school, still functioning. These schools dot the landscape around here, some of them long abandoned. The government has decided to sell most of the abandoned schools though and some are being turned into residential houses, inns and even museums and libraries. Quite a nice idea to preserve a part of our modern history.

Since the earthquake didn't damage this village many old buildings still stand, amongst them all the churches, like this one. It's a 500 years old building that still stands. In this shot you see the back of the church along with a pelourinho, or a pillory. Unlike the English use of them, our pillories were meant to be simple monuments in the medieval ages. This one you see is a modern one.

And here's the church of the shot above. A rather new one, has about 300 years I believe.

Unlike this late 13th century church, one of the oldest in Alte. This one did suffer from damage in the earthquake but didn't crumble.

You can read a bit of history about it in the shot above.

And here we have one of the older churches in Alte, about 700 years old. It's called a capelinha, or little church. It's quite an old building that still stands quite well.

And that's a quick tour guide through Alte. If you ever come to this region don't visit the beaches, instead go towards the interior to find places like this. It's well worth the time spent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is awesome. Most of the places I've played games at either looked like forgotten basements, or actually were forgotten basements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B.
United States
Palm Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Thanks for the awesome tour! Looks like, and sounds like, a wonderful place to visit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Awww, now I'm homesick for rural Europe again and I'm not even from there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful, just beautiful.

Thanks MGBM!!!

Perhaps one day when we visit the motherland--Spain--we'll include a side trip to Portugal!!

kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
badge
A foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of marble, then you chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant.
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Beautiful, just beautiful.

Thanks MGBM!!!

Perhaps one day when we visit the motherland--Spain--we'll include a side trip to Portugal!!

kiss

You definitely should: Portugal is a wonderful country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uisge Beatha
Scotland
flag msg tools
Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 - 84.7% turnout
badge
Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 - 84.7% turnout
mb

Shame on you for this blatantly subliminal advertising

... for Alte vista

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh Portuguese Azulejos, when they are well done, they make for some amazing pieces of art. Example, check the Azulejo rendition of The nightwatch (damn, my google fu failed). Just beautiful.

Or, this one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yohanleafheart wrote:
Ahh Portuguese Azulejos, when they are well done, they make for some amazing pieces of art. Example, check the Azulejo rendition of The nightwatch (damn, my google fu failed). Just beautiful.

Or, this one

Ah yes, the Lover's Row. Anyone who is a medieval battles buff will know what this art represents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.