Subject: Impatiently waiting... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Burke
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
A game sells out 200 copies in minutes, #5 on the Hot games list, it is for sale in the BGG market place for nearly twice what it costs, and there is not a single rating, session report, or review! shake Not even a mini-review? I am dying for details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve E.
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also- can we read the rules, please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing to worry about. There are copies available for sale after Essen. I read somewhere that they printed 1000 copies and only 200 where available at Essen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stanford University spent a considerable sum to modernize and reduce the size of its football stadium. With 85,000 seats, they could often only sell 20,000 or 30,000 tickets. But, at 50,000 seats, they sell out the stadium, because people who fear the short supply become more eager to secure tickets for themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Stanford University spent a considerable sum to modernize and reduce the size of its football stadium. With 85,000 seats, they could often only sell 20,000 or 30,000 tickets. But, at 50,000 seats, they sell out the stadium, because people who fear the short supply become more eager to secure tickets for themselves.

I don't think that's the case here, at all. Splotter would have been able to sell significantly more than 200 pieces at Spiel based on their name alone. The rush wouldn't have been nearly as fast, but I'm sure the overall sales total would have been much higher. With the current situation they've basically paid for a booth just to demonstrate a game that won't be available for a while yet. Though I'm sure they're not losing any money, I imagine they would much rather have had 500-1000 of the games to sell to try and recoup their investment as quickly as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burke
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
I wasn't actually complaining about the small number of games available at Essen, rather I was lamenting the lack of details about the game so far on the geek. Hopefully the lucky owners can get to work and get out the vote on this one. The details are just eerily nonexistent given its been available for about 48 hours now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Details for new games don't usually float in until a week or so after Essen. You have to remember, Essen is a sales fair more than a game con. People go there to buy and sell games more than to play them. As people trickle back the reviews will start to flow in. I know I'll get my copy played no later than early November.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CortexBomb wrote:
Though I'm sure they're not losing any money, I imagine they would much rather have had 500-1000 of the games to sell to try and recoup their investment as quickly as possible.

I'm sure they are losing money. Every game they can sell from their booth at Essen nets them the full retail price. Every game they sell through retail channels nets them much less.

I didn't mean to suggest that they deliberately limited the number of copies available. Just that sometimes a shortage can stimulate demand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

I'm sure they are losing money. Every game they can sell from their booth at Essen nets them the full retail price. Every game they sell through retail channels nets them much less.

I was speaking simply in terms of their appearance at Essen (i.e.: making back the direct cost of traveling to Essen and having a booth), of course any sales made direct by the publisher to the consumer are more profitable than those made to wholesalers, that's certainly a given.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.