Popular Tags: [View All]
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Having now tried Dominion on BSW, it occurs to me to ask about the "real life" version.

There were times in my game online when I would play a chain of cards (in some cases going almost completely through my deck) and I would add up several available bonus actions. Were it not for the little gem symbol on the computer screen, I would easily have gotten confused about how many actions I had left, and especially toward the end of the game it became VERY important to carefully select which cards I was playing in which order. Similarly, if I had to keep track myself, I would easily have mixed up how many points I had built up to spend on card purchases without the X + Y = # section on the screen.

For those that have played Dominion in real life, how easy is it to keep track of bonus actions or current card buy information when things really get rolling? Is it advisable to use counters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's Very Easy.

For keeping track of actions, just say how many you have left out loud as you go. No one ever makes a mistake when using this method.

For coins, just look at your cards after having played them all, then count up the numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like the online version, the card version moves very quickly. Using the "say how actions you have outloud" method worked great for everyone. It's very intuitive and simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say "I still have X actions" when playing +1 action cards, and "I now have X actions" when playing +2 action cards. It might be initally confusing because when you play a +1 action card, you are using up and gaining actions at the same time. It takes +2 actions (or more) to actually increase your action total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the BSW version is pretty good compared to IRL. I think that some things are easier to intuit IRL. Determining things like when to reshuffle is easier because I have a sense of how large my discard pile is compared to my draw pile. I think you generally have a better sense of what is in both decks too because you have actually held the cards.

I think the game is much easier to teach IRL as well.

As for the gaining actions, usually you can just lay them out linearly or one on top of the other. If the last/top card says you get +1 action, you can play another card, if not, then you are done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Difference Between BSW and IRL?

You have to shuffle. A lot. No, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mease19 wrote:
If the last/top card says you get +1 action, you can play another card, if not, then you are done.

Not really: Village followed by Chapel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bourrillion
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those crazy compound-complex turns there is a visual gag you could try. Instead of overlaying all your cards to the right in a straight line,

Start with a placeholder card on the table. This level represents "one action remaining." Whenever you play a Market/Lab/Cellar, overlay it directly to the right, when playing a Village/ThroneRoom/Festival, "staircase" it upward a notch, and when playing any other card staircase it downward. Once you've dipped below the original level (of the placeholder card) you're done.

This probably isn't necessary but it should work if anyone thinks they might need it. I would try it and tell you how dumb it is or isn't but of course I don't have the physical game yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.