Popular Tags: [View All]
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have any of you wonderfully diverse people heard of it? But more importantly, do your participate, or does it take too much time away from BGG and boardgaming?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I try every year but November is a terrible month for it with the holidays and all. Last year, I wrote fifty-two pages of a novel which is better than nothing, I suppose. Now - if I had only written any more the rest of the year...

...Sheylon
www.boardgamebabylon.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This will be my third year. Failed the first. somehow got 72K last year. I am sure i will fail this year. I have too many work obligations, etc. But it is fun to try.

You going to try and write 52 more pages this year? You really should
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did it back in 2002 and more or less succeeded.

That is, I finished a novel. It's not very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tried and failed regularly but I actually have an outline, setting and characters this time around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did in once in 2005. I finished my novel, which used to have the first chapter online for free, but sadly Lulu seems to have taken it down.

Anyway, it's totally worth doing once. Devote yourself, and once you know you can write a novel in a month, any other writing projects will seem Liliputian by comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
I did in once in 2005. I finished my novel, which used to have the first chapter online for free, but sadly Lulu seems to have taken it down.

Anyway, it's totally worth doing once. Devote yourself, and once you know you can write a novel in a month, any other writing projects will seem Liliputian by comparison.

That is sad. Lulu ate your novel??? It is the 10th anniversary of nano this year. They might be doing the Lulu thing again this year. You should try it again!

Del_Esau wrote:
I have tried and failed regularly but I actually have an outline, setting and characters this time around.

I am going to try to complete it this year. But I am doubtful. I got dragged into being a municipal liaison this year. The outline thing is a good idea. I decided to work on a project that i am familiar with, instead of trying something new, just because I know this will be a bad month.

So you are competing this year then? What is your user name? Mine is, unsurprisingly, Toggy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Rethorn
United States
Perrysburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I was well on my way towards completing one last year, but finishing my degree got in the way. And as a grad student now I know there's no chance I could devote the time needed--especially in November. It's the worst month of the year for scraping out time, which I suppose is part of the point. One of these years, though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This year will be my first an NaNoWriMo - clearly I am excited enough to have changed my avatar . . .

Actually, I have had a couple of BGGers contact me through geekmail because of my temporary (Halloween?) avatar, and have added them as writing buddies - gives me people to compare my progress to . . .

My screenname, at nanowrimo.org as here, is nycavri. Feel free to writer buddy me, say "hi", give me a hard time if my pace slips . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nycavri wrote:
This year will be my first an NaNoWriMo - clearly I am excited enough to have changed my avatar . . .

Actually, I have had a couple of BGGers contact me through geekmail because of my temporary (Halloween?) avatar, and have added them as writing buddies - gives me people to compare my progress to . . .

My screenname, at nanowrimo.org as here, is nycavri. Feel free to writer buddy me, say "hi", give me a hard time if my pace slips . . .

How had I not seen your avatar yet?? I totally need an avatar. I suppose i shall have to contribute more. In December!

Adding you now. I am always looking for more wrimoers. The more writing buddies the better.

And I recommend going to some local events. It keeps you motivated. And word war with people. The more of a challenge the more likely you are to get done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I gots me ava!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toggy wrote:
Have any of you wonderfully diverse people heard of it? But more importantly, do your participate, or does it take too much time away from BGG and boardgaming?

Tiff, thanks for posting this thread. I do some writing - but am awful about procrastinating (I guess much like the dreaded avoiding school work thing )

Anywho - because of your post, I've signed up on the website, although I know I won't be able to participate in the writing this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mileser wrote:

Tiff, thanks for posting this thread. I do some writing - but am awful about procrastinating (I guess much like the dreaded avoiding school work thing )

Anywho - because of your post, I've signed up on the website, although I know I won't be able to participate in the writing this year.

Signing up is the first step I am glad it peaked your interest. It is a lot of fun to do. And, as they advertise, it helps a lot of people do what they would not have otherwise -- give in to the desire to write. And to write a novel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Del_Esau wrote:
I gots me ava!

I has ava envy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three-year participant, reached 50K each year. Unfortunately, since I got my new job last year with longer hours, I haven't had the time to participate. My three novels:

2004 - "Sun Gods" - a college story told through the perspective of an RA. Think Super Troopers in a dorm. It sucked, but I came up with a great idea that I wish I thought of when I was an RA. (Nearly every freshman keeps a bottle of vodka in their freezer. When doing Xmas break room checks, pour a shot from each bottle into an empty water bottle. By the end of the inspections, you got a free bottle of booze. Even if they notice some is missing, they're underage... who can they complain to?)

2005 - [untitled] - Guy's addiction to liquor and sleeping pills leads him to believe his dreams are reality and reality are dreams. Though I know the ending, I wrote myself into a corner before I got there. I was already beyond 50K, so I put it down and haven't looked at it since! Oh, and it sucked.

2006 - [forgot the title] - Main character wakes up one morning to find he's 8 years old again. Yeah, it was basically Peggy Sue Got Married, only in the 3rd grade instead of high school. It sucked hard.

----

Tips for new writers:

1. Your novel will suck. It's going to be a terrible, rambling mess with plot holes galore (provided you even have a plot that is). 50K is your goal, not to write something good.

2. Write 2,000 words a day. You'll reach 25K with 5 days to spare and can enjoy Thanksgiving in peace.

3. DO NOT EDIT YOUR WORK UNTIL YOU ARE FINISHED! Do not spell check, read over what you just wrote, or anything. It will cause you to rewrite what you just wrote, thus doubling your efforts to gain nothing in the way of word count!

4. Falling behind? Try these tactics:

a) Sex scenes!
b) Introduce a hard-of-hearing character that's too stubborn to do anything about it. Have him/her say "what?" all the time, thus forcing people to repeat themselves.
c) Write a sequel to the Shining's "all work and no play make Jack a dull boy" book-within-a-book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.