Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just have to say something about people making statements on the news, yahoo, etc...that are along the manner of:

Post-operative infection is often the one thing patients never ask about, but should. Bush-Joseph suggested "asking physicians, 'What are their complication rates?' 'What is their infection rate?' and, 'Is it a global problem in the hospital?'"

The doctor that did my initial knee surgery, which was simple arthroscopic is one of the top knee doctors in DFW. SOMEONE still made a mistake resulting in 6 more surgeries, a stroke and a freaking bone tumor, but of course it's NOT the hospitals fault...it just happens. The doctor that did the next four out of the seven is another top Dallas doctor...

Every time I breach the subject about all of the pain and issues I've had over the past 20 years having to do with these series of surgeries, I can see that "White Wall of Silence" appear on the doctors face. I can understand, the last thing they want to do is jack up their career by pissing off two of the big dogs in the field, but STILL...

shake

I can tell you the two surgeries he had to clean everything out hurt like a B***H!! They go in and scrape the tissue (raw nerves!) clean...dear god, I only thought I knew what pain was.

"Joint infection is an emergency," said Andrew Gregory, an assistant professor of orthopedics and pediatrics at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. "It's something that needs to be seen to right away. The longer it's left alone, the more damage it can do."

There are at least 1.1 million joint surgeries in the United States each year, according to the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. The risk of infection, while less than 1 percent, is one of the complications doctors worry about most.

But, what threat does an infection really pose?

"Infection in a joint causes damage ... because the bacteria actually chews up the tissue inside the joint, which is really important," Gregory said. "You have cartilage both on the end of the bone and then cartilage in between the bone called the meniscus and the ligaments. So if you destroy that tissue that really affects your knee, [it] causes scar tissue build-up in your knees, joint stiffness and then, later on, arthritis."

but that would have NOTHING to do with a tumor taking up over 80% of my right femur without ANYONE noticing for 6 surgeries!! I've been told it grew downward or was there from birth and just grew along with me...no, it had NOTHING to do with YEARS of damage, take home antibiotic IV's, etc...but that it had NOTHING to do with the bone infection I received!!

Or maybe I should complain about the medical records up and disappearing? That seven year limit is crap!! By the time I was finishing my 6th surgery due to that infection, they were destroying the records of the initial surgery that caused all the problems. I was NOT in any stability to process that I needed to grab copies of everything to protect myself for the future...I was still in recovery mode! There is no record anymore of me going code blue for almost 6 minutes or of the seizures or the stroke from them. I try to explain these things to doctors, but they are Black & White..."Well you look fine." "I've never heard of that happening." "A stroke doesn't happen from medication like that..." Oh really? Would you LIKE me to print up the hundreds of pages of proof that you are freaking Wrong?!

I FINALLY was allowed pain medicine this week...what did they give me? Naproxen! The same damn stuff I can go and buy from Walmart 100 tablets for $3. That stuff is worthless to me.

"Mr. Heinrich, we'd like to discuss your case with you."

-Rant over-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything will turn out for the better, you'll see, just hang in there and don't give up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.