Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
http://boardgametop10s.com/audio/bg10.xml
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a six-player game for the first time last night, since I wanted to use the whole board. Then I noticed when setting up the game that one of the rules exceptions from the back of the manual states that you're only supposed to use 5 areas.

Well, I wanted to use all 6, so we did that anyway. It didn't have a great impact on the game: We used the USA map and nobody built in the west (all new players) until the last round, so it really didn't matter. But it did prompt the question for me:

Why have 6 areas on the map if you're never going to use all 6?.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I gather it is game balancing thing. The number of cities to end the game is reduced with 6 players. If you included all the areas, the game would probably become less competitive because of the extra cities. You could increase the number required, but I suspect this would make the game too long.

By having 6 areas, you essentially have 5 variations on the one board, making for more variety in play if you leave a different area out each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aweberman wrote:

For variety? Since you end the game at only 14 cities with 6 players, you don't need more than 5 areas.

Note that the Funkenschlag: EnBW map has only 5 areas, and it works fine with 6 players. Get that version if you want to play with the whole map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
I gather it is game balancing thing. The number of cities to end the game is reduced with 6 players. If you included all the areas, the game would probably become less competitive because of the extra cities. You could increase the number required, but I suspect this would make the game too long.

By having 6 areas, you essentially have 5 variations on the one board, making for more variety in play if you leave a different area out each game.

Also, if you increased the number of cities required and used all 6 areas of the board, there would not be enough high-capacity plants to go around. This is why the game has so many modifications at various different player counts: game balance.

The Benelux map has only 5 areas if you want to use the whole board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:
Also, if you increased the number of cities required and used all 6 areas of the board, there would not be enough high-capacity plants to go around. This is why the game has so many modifications at various different player counts: game balance.

Actually, it works just fine with six players and six areas if you increase the winning condition to 15 and the Stage 2 trigger to 7. That's how we usually play six here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Aweberman wrote:

You will use all 6 (if you play the game more than once and choose to use different areas); just not in the same game.

There are plenty of games that provide you with similar ways to have different scenarios and starting positions, not all usable together in a single game.

Why does Field Commander: Rommel provide 3 maps if you're never going to use all 3 in 1 game?
Why does Manoeuvre have 8 armies if you're never going to use all 8 in 1 game?
Why does Neuroshima Hex! 3.0 have 4 armies if you're never going to use all 4 in 1 game?
Why do some Magic: The Gathering players have hundreds or thousands cards if they're never going to use them all in 1 game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Aweberman wrote:

You will use all 6 (if you play the game more than once and choose to use different areas); just not in the same game.

There are plenty of games that provide you with similar ways to have different scenarios and starting positions, not all usable together in a single game.

Why does Field Commander: Rommel provide 3 maps if you're never going to use all 3 in 1 game?
Why does Manoeuvre have 8 armies if you're never going to use all 8 in 1 game?
Why does Neuroshima Hex! 3.0 have 4 armies if you're never going to use all 4 in 1 game?
Why do some Magic: The Gathering players have hundreds or thousands cards if they're never going to use them all in 1 game?

Why are there 3 power grid expansion maps if you're never going to use them all at once?

Although, frankly, the thought of "Mega-Grid" had occured to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Hartzler
United States
Syracuse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pilight wrote:
QBert80 wrote:

Actually, it works just fine with six players and six areas if you increase the winning condition to 15 and the Stage 2 trigger to 7. That's how we usually play six here.

Kevin, can you (or others with 6-region experience using the original deck) respond to the issue of high-capacity plant shortage? I know even in 4 or 5 player games it is common for the game to hinge on who can snag the last 6-city plant in step 3; is this not aggravated in a 6-region game, leaving some players with lots of cities and money unable to win?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genghis Ahn
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Sometimes You Are Wrong !
badge
Coolest Promo Ever ! Stonewall Lives
mbmbmbmbmb
The best advice I ever received from a game designer was:

"It's YOUR game so feel free to experiment on what works best for you and your gaming crew!!! I only provide a competitive and balanced, I think, framework."

So I always experiment with new rules, especially if it allows different strategies without compromising the game integrity.

There are several optional Power Grid rules:

1. Use more areas. This makes city placement and conflict less of an issue. Makes the game play easier for many people and appeals to herbivoire euro-gamers.
2. Do not allow players to city hop bypassing locations by paying the extra. This makes city placement, resource management,and cash managment much more important. Adds a high level of difficulty to the game. I like this rule a lot and think it should be the standard rule and the being able to bypass the optional rule.

I have been thinking of adding a steam-like expansion to the resource market so you could play the speculation market or adding cards (like Fire and Axe) to add new wrinkles to game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Hook
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys. I just got this game as a Christmas gift, and I'm excited to play. I just read the rules, and I had the exact same question about the "6-player/5-region" thing.

Now that you guys have talked about the "built-in" variety in the game, and someone's house rule of upping the city requirement for the Step 2 trigger and end game trigger, I am totally ready to get this game to the table.

Now to round-up the asses to put into those seats!

Thanks guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JonHook wrote:
Now that you guys have talked about the "built-in" variety in the game, and someone's house rule of upping the city requirement for the Step 2 trigger and end game trigger, I am totally ready to get this game to the table.

I suggest playing it "normal" before using house rules. Learn what the game is supposed to be like before modifying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
JonHook wrote:

I suggest playing it "normal" before using house rules. Learn what the game is supposed to be like before modifying it.

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.