Popular Tags: [View All]
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
From The Economist, what if the whole world could vote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Which should tell you something. The majority of the world does not have the U.S'. best interest at heart. Many would very much like to see the U.S. brought down a couple of pegs, and indeed many are itching to see the U.S. fall outright.

Clearly, one candidate more than the other is perceived by them as more likely to be a catalyst to that end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

Which should tell you something. The majority of the world does not have the U.S'. best interest at heart. Many would very much like to see the U.S. brought down a couple of pegs, and indeed many are itching to see the U.S. fall outright.

Clearly, one candidate more than the other is perceived by them as more likely to be a catalyst to that end.

Yes, the WHOLE world is out to get us. Even the dutch. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
isaacc wrote:

Bob Barr?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
isaacc wrote:

Yes, the WHOLE world is out to get us. Even the dutch. shake

As usual, Chap, you're right there to distort. Why is it you do that, by the way? The whole world is not "out to get the U.S.", only part of it. But, the majority definitely wants to see the U.S. weakened, if only somewhat. Read the European papers and watch their broadcasts, for example. There is almost always an English language paper available. I would point to the French as an obvious example.

Aside from those populations that actually do want to "get the U.S.", almost none have the U.S'. best interest at heart. Even at that low standard, my point applies just as well.

[Edit]: Even if one's adversaries are just friendly competition, if they're happy with your choice for a new leader, it's a rule of thumb that he's probably who you don't want there (all other considerations aside).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That vote is so easy to trick.

I just jumped McCain a bit up in China by using all my dummy emails (yes, I've done this kind of stupid thing before).

I could go get the internet hate machine to screw this thing up, but I'm too lazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

[Edit]: Even if one's adversaries are just friendly competition, if they're happy with your choice for a new leader, it's a rule of thumb that he's probably who you don't want there (all other considerations aside).

Besides the "global" markets crashing in direct correlations to the US markets crashing. The US economic health is tightly wound to their own. Yes, those people want us to fail so that they will fail as well. I don't buy it, and it's silly to think it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
isaacc wrote:

Besides the "global" markets crashing in direct correlations to the US markets crashing. The US economic health is tightly wound to their own. Yes, those people want us to fail so that they will fail as well. I don't buy it, and it's silly to think it.

Chap, I knew I wouldn't be disappointed. Literally, it took half a minute and just a couple of clicks to get at something. The following link is to an article, one of many thousands you yourself can hook into. It's from Le Monde (The World), one of France's major papers (not fringe).

The main point is just how quickly I hit on something quite negative of the U.S. I knew I would because there is just so much out there. I'm not sure which European sources you access that leads you to think that it is silly to think that the bulk of the World is not itching to see the U.S. fail. Let me know.

US Empire Will Survive Bush The link is to an alternate web page that reprints the article. The actual link on Le Monde's site is a for pay link.

P.S.: To address your point argumentatively, you assume that people are logical and think things through. This is hardly the case, especially on the Left as it is a pattern with them (in my opinion) not to be able to connect cause with effect. As such, it is completely plausible that they hope for a knocking down of the U.S. while simultaneously not seeing the connection to their own well being.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nothing but static
New Zealand
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iraq strong red.

Quite interesting dont you think?

As for New Zealnd we are a bunch of pinkos who are about to vote
for someone who is all charm and lack of policy too.

So what do you expect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
There's also a chance they're cheering for the Candidate Least Likely to Invade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Brooks
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day..."
badge
Gnome dance is best dance.
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

Chap, I knew I wouldn't be disappointed. Literally, it took half a minute and just a couple of clicks to get at something. The following link is to an article, one of many thousands you yourself can hook into. It's from Le Monde (The World), one of France's major papers (not fringe).

I can't help myself.

They're FRENCH. I'm not sure they like ANYONE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it makes me feel all fuzzy inside. I am now in favor of the New World Order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
From The Economist, what if the whole world could vote:

This is, if I understand correctly, an opinion poll for readers of the Economist with self identification of country. May I suggest the Onion for infographics of equal value?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

Don't you think we know that? They're obviously trying to manipulate our election so the weak McCain will win by voicing such overwhelming support for Obama.

You don't need to explain this stuff to us.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

Which should tell you something. The majority of the world does not have the U.S'. best interest at heart.

Including the U.S., if the picture is to be believed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
Even if one's adversaries are just friendly competition, if they're happy with your choice for a new leader, it's a rule of thumb that he's probably who you don't want there (all other considerations aside)

Wow. Whatever happened to great leaders admired the world over?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teacher Fletcher
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Isaac's definition of U.S. strength has to do with dropping bombs on civilian's houses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Map #2:
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/gallup/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.