Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
Quality games cleverly crafted.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this has been addressed in here somewhere but I have been browsing many of these posts and can't seem to find something that resonates with me as definitive.

I have playe 2 games of AH so far and realize I have yet to get it right but I am ready for #3.

So, on Other World Encounters. Investigators should have to always face 2 OWEs unless they have a strange circumstance like a "find gate" spell or something in which case they have 1, correct?

Is this an appropriate description of how that works?

Scenario:
Phase II: Movemenrt - A player enters a space with a gate.

Phase III: Arkham Encounters - the player is sucked through the gate.

Phase IV: Other World Encounters - the player draws a card for an OWE and resolves it.

On the following turn:
Phase II - player moves over to space 2.

Phase III - N/A

Phase IV - player draws an OWE and resolves it.

On the following turn:
Phase II - player moves back to Arkham through the gate and receives and explored token.

Phase III - player may attempt to close the gate.

Phase IV - N/A

Is the above situation accurate?
And THAT is why players become delayed when sucked through in mythos phase because they would otherwise get to more over to the OW space 2 without facing the first encounter?

-Josh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (She/her)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the correct description for what happens when a gate is already open, yes. I'd add that they DO NOT have to come back into Arkham through the same gate; only through a gate that goes to the same location. So if there are two gates to Yuggoth, and you go in one, you can come out the other.

There is a circumstance under which an investigator may have 3 other world encounters (short of being delayed while in the other world):

Turn 1

II: Enter an unsealed location with no gate.
III: Draw "A Gate and a Monster Appear!" adventure card. Get sucked through gate AND DELAYED.
IV: Other World Encounter.

Turn 2

II: Stand up from delay. Still in section 1 of OW.

Turn 3
II: Move to section 2 of OW.

Turn 4
II: Move from OW to any open gate matching the OW location.
III: May attempt to close gate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1981158#1981158
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edy Ferreira
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
There is a circumstance under which an investigator may have 3 other world encounters (short of being delayed while in the other world):
Turn 1
II: Enter an unsealed location with no gate.
III: Draw "A Gate and a Monster Appear!" adventure card. Get sucked through gate AND DELAYED.

I though in that circumstance the investigator would not have an "Other World Encounter" in the first turn.

The Frequent Asked Questions of the Dunwich Horror expansion states (pag. 10):

"If the investigator was not delayed by a gate opening up in his location, he would be able to get through the Other World having only one Other World Encounter rather than two"

So, the idea of having the investigator "delay" is to have two Other World Encounters and not one, neither three. Having always two Other World Encounters in all the circumstance make sense to me.

Am I missing something here??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All they are saying is that if an investigator was NOT delayed when a gate opens on him, he would be able to get through the OW in 1 turn:

Phase V: Gate opens on Investigator - moves to OW-1
Phase II: Move to OW-2
Phase IV: Have 1st (and last) OW encounter
Phase II: Move back to Arkham

So they through in the "delay" so you would get he minimus 2 encounters (baring Find Gate and other anomolies). Unfortunately, that made gates that open on you during Phase 3 a minimum 3-turn OW encounter.

Two circumstance give you a 2-turn tour and this 3rd one gives you a 3-turn tour now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.