Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Woznick
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
DON'T TOUCH ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend and I just finished playing Impact Zone and we went to rate it. It was at a 2.56 with 9 ratings and only 1 logged play. I have seen this on numerous games. I wonder how there are so many users rating a game with so few logged plays. I doubt that all 9 ratings were all together playing the same game. Impact Zone is basically like playing Battleship. It has a Sci-Fi UFO theme that appeals to the geek in me. Battleship has a 7.5 rating. While granted this is a classic, why, would a game like Impact Zone get such a harsh rating when it also incorporates sound effects etc. I am not trying to defend a game like Impact Zone in particular but I am wondering how often a game gets rated from someone who has never actually played it. How often does a game get a bad rating because someone doesn't like the theme or some other content? Or are users not logging plays?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
projectmatter wrote:
Or are users not logging plays?

That. I have never logged a play, nor do I have the motivation to do so. I don't foresee ever needing that information for myself, and what use does it provide to other people?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I log games, but I have rated games that I played before I started logging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Thompson
United States
Bentonville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcclark wrote:
projectmatter wrote:
Or are users not logging plays?

That. I have never logged a play, nor do I have the motivation to do so. I don't foresee ever needing that information for myself, and what use does it provide to other people?
The use I get from the plays people log is a mix of popularity and replayablity. I personally have based a good portion of my purchases on the number of plays the game has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty simple, very few of us log our plays. And even among the people who do log plays, there is debate about which plays you should log, do online plays against people count? I say yes, others say no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
was once a plant in a fruit plot
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG has also made it much easier to log plays now, so I do it. I do it for my own benefit -- to see what I have played that month, and what games are not getting the love they used OR have fallen out of favor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:
It's pretty simple, very few of us log our plays. And even among the people who do log plays, there is debate about which plays you should log, do online plays against people count? I say yes, others say no.

I am not sure about the online play, as, to me, this is more of a computer play than a board game, even though there are live opponents. I guess that, to me, it is closer to something like "EverQuest" than a real session.

I also uncertain as to whether solitaire plays should count as sessions. I see the need for it with wargames, but any other multiplayer games played solitaire and logged just rub me the wrong way. Especially when there is also a Session Report to go along with it. Grrr!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osiris Ra wrote:
spearjr wrote:

I am not sure about the online play, as, to me, this is more of a computer play than a board game, even though there are live opponents. I guess that, to me, it is closer to something like "EverQuest" than a real session.

I also uncertain as to whether solitaire plays should count as sessions. I see the need for it with wargames, but any other multiplayer games played solitaire and logged just rub me the wrong way. Especially when there is also a Session Report to go along with it. Grrr!

But the gameplay is the same, except I don't have to track all the little details.

Would it help, if I shuffle a deck of cards on the side every time the computer does it for me?

Perhaps our differences comes back to that "real session" comment, what defines that? Is it that in one game people sit around a table and move the wooden bits around and shuffle the cards themselves? In the other they move the mouse around which moves digital bits around and a computer does the shuffling? Are we trying to measure social interaction with other humans you can see?

Does an online play become real to you if I'm using voice chat with the other player(s)? What about a chat cam? What if we are in the same room on two laptops, but due to some ancient injury are only half a bee and can't shuffle one handed?

For me, the learnings from an online game vs an in person game are very similar, if not the same. I played Dominion a bunch this weekend on BSW. I could teach the game pretty easily now, looking at the rules only for setup info. I also have a good handle on card interactions and strategy. But my games went a lot faster because the computer tracked # of unused actions and money I had. Also I was able to find an opponent at 11:30 pm and then again at 7:30 am, which would be pretty hard to do in person.

I'll agree with you some on the solitaire plays, I see TONS of plays of Agricola, and you look at them and find out the guy played Agricola 12 times by himself in a single day. I wish there was a way to filter out solitaire plays, then I wouldn't care one way or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did not realize that the "real session" could come out appearing like that. It is just that, to me (and I used that several times), a board game involves a lot of interaction. Again, to me, computer-based play feels closer to something like an online dungeon. Sure there are people playing in both areas and they can have some interaction (and with closed chat it is possible to have collusion), but I prefer face-to-face play. When I play the Java version of "Kingsburg" I do not consider it a session, nor did I consider that for the games I played during my all-too-brief experiment with BSW.

Is it a real session? Yes. But the experience is not for me. That is what I meant to say with a comment that instead wound up appearing flippant and dismissive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osiris Ra wrote:
Did not realize that the "real session" could come out appearing like that. It is just that, to me (and I used that several times), a board game involves a lot of interaction. Again, to me, computer-based play feels closer to something like an online dungeon. Sure there are people playing in both areas and they can have some interaction (and with closed chat it is possible to have collusion), but I prefer face-to-face play. When I play the Java version of "Kingsburg" I do not consider it a session, nor did I consider that for the games I played during my all-too-brief experiment with BSW.

Is it a real session? Yes. But the experience is not for me. That is what I meant to say with a comment that instead wound up appearing flippant and dismissive.
No worries, I'm am not and was not offended. Rather I'm truly interested in the distinction for people.
(Plus I referenced Monty Python, I thought that was a clear indication of my good mood.)

I really was interested in your answers to these questions: "Does an online play become real to you if I'm using voice chat with the other player(s)? What about a chat cam? What if we are in the same room on two laptops, but due to some ancient injury are only half a bee and can't shuffle one handed?"

In this context, "real" means when you'd log the play, vs not logging it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.R. Lee
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
I cannot really log games because it would be too time consuming and would not be accurate anyways because I have already played hundreds of games before even knowing about BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JLord wrote:
I cannot really log games because it would be too time consuming

I don't find that it takes that long. I write the plays on a little notepad in the downtime of games (or between games), so it doesn't really "cost" me anything at that time. When I get home, I enter them on the Geek, which goes pretty quickly, even when I'm adding ratings/comments for new games.

Quote:
and would not be accurate anyways because I have already played hundreds of games before even knowing about BGG.

My log is an accurate view of what I've played since I started logging. I find that interesting, regardless of what I played before. Pre-logging, like pre-history, will just have to be lost to the mists of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
JLord wrote:
I cannot really log games because it would be too time consuming

I don't find that it takes that long. I write the plays on a little notepad in the downtime of games (or between games), so it doesn't really "cost" me anything at that time. When I get home, I enter them on the Geek, which goes pretty quickly, even when I'm adding ratings/comments for new games.

Quote:
and would not be accurate anyways because I have already played hundreds of games before even knowing about BGG.

My log is an accurate view of what I've played since I started logging. I find that interesting, regardless of what I played before. Pre-logging, like pre-history, will just have to be lost to the mists of time.

I concur with Jeff, little notebook to record during play and then record later. I find these statistics interesting to me, so I'll continue. If you aren't interested, don't log, simple as that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.