Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FUNOMETER 7.5????? How does anyone compare BANG with TWILIGHT STRUGGLE. One is a game with depth, history and strategy, the other is a laugh, a hoot or perhaps even a party game.

Perhaps what you mean is that your idea of a fun time is something light while twilight struggle is heavy. Taxing my brain in search of a small advantage is what I call fun, so this makes it a ten on my scale, which is not the funometer.

Congradz on your first review, it was good to hear your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael confoy
United States
ASHBURN
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
citylife wrote:
FUNOMETER 7.5????? How does anyone compare BANG with TWILIGHT STRUGGLE. One is a game with depth, history and strategy, the other is a laugh, a hoot or perhaps even a party game.

Perhaps what you mean is that your idea of a fun time is something light while twilight struggle is heavy. Taxing my brain in search of a small advantage is what I call fun, so this makes it a ten on my scale, which is not the funometer.

Congradz on your first review, it was good to hear your thoughts.

Agree. How do you follow the C's in NZ? I had season tix until I moved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think TS is almost easier than bang in some regards. It's a very easy game. Place influence, abide by the domino theory, and you choose event or points.

With bang you could spend hours playing one game that is completely random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrgalaga wrote:
My God, what have I started...

a thread on Geek, and your life was going well up to this point

How does anyone compare BANG with TWILIGHT STRUGGLE. One is a game with depth, history and strategy, the other is

Twilight Struggle!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baron von Doom
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrgalaga wrote:
Andy...I don't even know you and I like you already. Your my kinda scum!

Thumb for the SW reference.

I don't laugh at Puerto Rico, just Puerto Rico players.

-BvD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
mrgalaga wrote:

Components:

Twilight Struggle out of the box is an under-whelming affair. You are not getting anything in the league of FFG or Rio Grande but there is a certain charm about the components as you feel as though you are spreading out a war map (albeit a difficult to handle, unmounted map) and strategising your way through one of the most interesting periods in history.

GMT says that when the current production run of TS is sold out, the next one will have a mounted mapboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
And Erickson
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Roger,

Where did you hear about a mounted board? I looked around a little, but I couldn't find anything about a 4th edition.

I was thinking about picking up TS, but if there's going to be a mounted board available in the next printing I might just wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
mrgalaga wrote:
My God, what have I started...

Indeed: you have now moved to Defcon Level One.....good-bye.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blindsun wrote:
Roger,

Where did you hear about a mounted board? I looked around a little, but I couldn't find anything about a 4th edition.

I was thinking about picking up TS, but if there's going to be a mounted board available in the next printing I might just wait.

It was in an email I swapped with the folks at GMT - I was asking if they'd do a P500 mounted map for TS like they're doing for Here I Stand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
And Erickson
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Roger. That's good to know. I guess I'll be waiting another year or so to get this one. And then another year or two after that to actually find someone to play against.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blindsun wrote:
Thanks Roger. That's good to know. I guess I'll be waiting another year or so to get this one. And then another year or two after that to actually find someone to play against.

I signed on to wargameroom.com last night and played two games! It was late and my poor play reflected that, but while I got waxed as the USA in the first game, I held my own in the second and we had to call it due to technical difficulties in the late game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petr Houzar
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Quote:

well, if everyone will wait for the next printing of TS, there won't be any

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark MacRae
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
It was in an email I swapped with the folks at GMT - I was asking if they'd do a P500 mounted map for TS like they're doing for Here I Stand.

Whaaa?? Really? Well by the time it comes out my copy of TS will probably be completely worn out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
papahoth wrote:

Agree. How do you follow the C's in NZ? I had season tix until I moved.

Badly. One game a month if you are lucky . Still the playoffs are better and we saw all of the conference and NBA finals. So I saw KG enough.

As for how one gets into it in the first place I blame some idiot that gave me a KG Finest rookie card early on. It has been downhill ever since, and when he moved to the Celts, well so did I. There is a legacy of jerseys on my wall to follow it.

All I can say is thank goodness I didn't love Elton Brand who just won't stop moving teams! That would be one full wardrobe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:

GMT says that when the current production run of TS is sold out, the next one will have a mounted mapboard.

They better offer just the board ... and cheap otherwise I will join the masses marching on their offices! We need that mounted board, you can only place so many paper weights on the board and still have the game function probably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Moulton
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought 2 sheets of plexiglass to cover this board when I got the game and I can't imagine playing without it. Also good if you get any other game that uses a paper map. I got CC:E. Plexi is pretty cheap at a good hardware store too. Although, I agree a mounted board is always better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, a sheet of 3mm acrylic enhances the game considerably. I have one cut for TS and another cut for M'44.

Andrew, if interested try Mulford Plastics in Seaview, Petone. It will cost you around $30 unless you can find others to split the cutting cost with. You're welcome to visit and see how it changes things if you like. We could even have a game of TS!

Only, you'll need to wait until I'm back from Germany (with all my new games from Essen... heh heh) :P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw slash heard you got Duck Dealer. I was super keen to see Space Alert, La Havera (??) as well which I hope you migth have nabbed, though I think J mentioned he had them on the boat. Either way I will be uncontrollable jelous. If someone breask into your house and only steals your games then you have a good lead on who it was.

Peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.