Junta» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Exile rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Larson
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
When would one want to go into exile? I was thinking it could be useful in a coup, if one is anticipating being sent to the firing squad; or when the foreign aid stack is nearly exhausted, and one has enough money in the bank to win the game if he simply prevents the others from assassinating him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Todd
United Kingdom
Manchester
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nathanlarson3141 wrote:
when the foreign aid stack is nearly exhausted, and one has enough money in the bank to win the game if he simply prevents the others from assassinating him.

Assassination doesn't affect money in the bank, so exile wouldn't be necessary in this situation.

Exile is just a way to keep yourself out of harm temporarily. It was quite common when we used to play. When you have a lot of money in your pocket, or are unpopular for some reason, exile is a hiding place until the heat is on someone else, or you can work out a deal to get back into the country and to the bank alive.

For example, if the budget fails and El Presidente keeps all the cash, he tends to run to exile as all the guns are going to be pointed at him that turn.
I've even seen Presidents announce their budget as:
"No money for anyone; I'm keeping the lot; see you in Cuba!"

Remember that you can get free passage back from exile if the President or Minister is dead, so it's not as dangerous to return as you might think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Larson
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
The 3rd edition rules say, "The President can't go into exile unless he resigns first," which would require him to hand over his cash in hand to the new President. If you're playing without that rule, how does the President run the country from exile? Can he still assign cabinet positions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
Graz
Styria
flag msg tools
This user is a professional crastinator
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nathanlarson3141 wrote:
The 3rd edition rules say, "The President can't go into exile unless he resigns first," which would require him to hand over his cash in hand to the new President. If you're playing without that rule, how does the President run the country from exile? Can he still assign cabinet positions?

You would always have to keep the rule that the President automatically resigns if he goes into exile.
Otherwise he would (almost) permanently be President when no one has a chance on killing him with any forceful means.

IIRC, there are only 2 or 3 cards that allow to get the President out of office in a political way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Todd
United Kingdom
Manchester
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the West End Games edition and that doesn't state the President needs to resign to go into exile. Obviously the third edition has changed that. If your rules clearly say that, you probably should play it that way.

But (FWIW) this is my interpretation of the WEG exile rules:
The President can go into exile without resigning, but he then loses his position, as any player does in exile. We then elected a new President at the end of the assassination phase, as if he had been assassinated. The important difference is that in our version, the President would keep his pocket money when he went into exile.

I would point out that no other player has to give up their money to go into exile, so I don't see why the President should. If anybody knows why they changed the rule, I'd be interested to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
Graz
Styria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the German 3rd edition (Pegasus) and while its rules state that the President has to resign from office, it does not mention his pocket money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Johnson
msg tools
I made two other posts on exile this evening. Basically my question is thus.

In the old rules you can go into exile during a coup if one of your units is at an embassy. I cannot find this in the new rules.

I only find you can go into exile during the Choose a Location phase.

P.S. The idea about giving up money doesn't bother me, that is an obvious rule change I can live with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.