Hide
25 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: need a new wargame; would appreciate some advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
robert wood
msg tools
my boys (12 and 10) and i have played memoir '44 100+ times. we love it. it's the first "modern" (i.e., made within the past 15 years) wargame that any of us have played.

i'm ready to buy a new one.

i want it to be (a) a "great" game (don't want to waste my time on mediocre games), (b) a two-player (or two-team) game, (c) slightly more complicated than memoir '44, (d) not too similar to memoir '44, and (e) a game that lasts 60-75 minutes long (as opposed to the 20-35 minute memoir '44).

thanks very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be first to sing the chorus:

Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42

It hits each and every point you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with above

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you interested in any other periods, or do you want another World War II game? Here's a game I'll recommend for the American Civil War: Yankees & Rebels. It has a Euro/Wargame hybrid feel, has only 2 pages of rules, and the mechanics are different enough from Memoir to be different but enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hill
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
How about Bonaparte at Marengo?

And Napoleon's Triumph can be played with teams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42 another option would be Tide of Iron. ToI takes considerable more time to set up (and play) than CoH but the physical appearance of ToI is more like M'44 (if you like playing with minis). Both CoH and ToI are a step up from M'44 but stay close enough to M'44 to make the learning curve not too steep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they like history I recommend Columbia Games' War of 1812 or Quebec 1759. It's a step toward more "serious" fare from the heaps-o-plastic of Memoir 44. These are very accessible (and fun) Columbia games. In my opinion two of the absolute best "intro" wargames.

War of 1812 was just reprinted too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Ferrari
United States
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lock n Load World at War series is pretty simple and straight forward. The other thought is Rage against the Marines in MMPs Special Operation #1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conflict of Heroes is a particularly good choice if you're looking to move them towards hexes and chits without inundating them with rules complexity. Combat Commander is another excellent option in the same vein.

If you're looking for a block game, War of 1812 is a pretty good choice (I've never played Quebec 1759). It plays very quickly but (like Memoir itself) feels a little too abstract for me. Hammer of the Scots plays longer but leaves me feeling more satisfied (and is not terribly much more complex).

Worthington's Wars for America series has much of the same feel as Memoir with an action point rather than a card activation system. I'm not sure that this is much of a step forward in complexity -- perhaps a lateral step.

If they really like the Memoir system itself, Command and Colors Ancients introduces a bit more complexity and manages to feel quite different from Memoir despite using the same core mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meeting 4 of your 5 criteria and maybe all 5 (depending on what "too similar" means):

edit: to jinx latindog
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Weihs
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bonaparte' at Marengo might be tough to find and while Napoleon's Triumph is a great game and looks fairly easy to play it is by no means a simple game.

Have you considered Axis and Allies? There is the flagship game but some of the theater specific games are pretty good too.

Battlelore is slightly more complicated than Memoir but, like Commands and Colors, might suffer from the 'too similar' issue. The cool factor is higher on this one if you enjoy medieval/fantasy.

While we are talking about block games I highly recommend Hammer of the Scots and Napoleon but would recommend Hammer if you are moving from Memoir up.

Tide of Iron is commonly listed as a "same period/focus as but more complicated than..." for Memoir but I agree with the others here that the Lock 'N Load series is better (I prever it over Combat Commander but that is more of a taste issue).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Manoff
United States
Haymarket
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Conflict of Heroes is a great choice. As a long-time ASL player, I have been looking at a game for my 7 year old. I have played twice solitaire and plan to teach him the game next. It looks like they are going to continue with a series of games using the same design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a block game, and your given number of players, I'd recommend Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815, as it is playable by three, isn't particularly difficult, and plays fairly quickly. It's not modern, but it's a very solid "step up".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Stalica
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Storm over Stalingrad will fit your bill. Under 4 pages of rules; only 6 turns long (plays in under 3 hours); quick set-up time; non-stop tense interaction due to impulses swapping and interruptable cardplay. It also depicts the battle surprisingly accurately for such a simple game. A wee bit longer than you want but trust me: you will NOT be bored. Nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
jstalica wrote:
Storm over Stalingrad will fit your bill. Under 4 pages of rules; only 6 turns long (plays in under 3 hours); quick set-up time; non-stop tense interaction due to impulses swapping and interruptable cardplay. It also depicts the battle surprisingly accurately for such a simple game. A wee bit longer than you want but trust me: you will NOT be bored. Nice.

I'm a big fan of Conflict of Heroes, but for a change of pace and a playable game for 12 and 10 year-olds, I'd also recommend Storm over Stalingrad by MMP--although hard to find in many gamestores even though new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Collins
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you like Memoir '44 because of the wide range of scenarios? That might really help you dial in on something in particular out of this *AWESOME* list of recommendations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hill
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sturmkraehe wrote:
Bonaparte' at Marengo might be tough to find and while Napoleon's Triumph is a great game and looks fairly easy to play it is by no means a simple game.

Yea and it has a huge rule book. Can't you just buy Triumph and then download the map for Morengo here on BGG and then use the same blocks? I thought that was a major reason why Simmons Games decided not to reprint Morengo. Conversely making the prices in the BGG market place outrageously high....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
Joseph Hill wrote:
Sturmkraehe wrote:

Yea and it has a huge rule book.

Huge rule book? It's 12 pages, 8 of which are rules. By wargame standards, that's a mighty small rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools

Eevryone seems to be sticking with games set in WWII and/or history so far, but Nexus Ops fits all of your prerequisites - just a little more complexity than MEMOIR, very different in terms of gameplay, a little bit longer (usually running right around an hour), and can be played 2-player, in 2 teams paired off, or 3 to 4-way free-for-all style. While out of print, it was overprinted to the sky and is still fairly available for cheap.

I'd also at least look over BattleLore and Commands & Colors: Ancients - while very similar to MEMOIR, each has several elements that make it play somewhat differently; whether it's different enough to suit you is the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hill
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
markus_kt wrote:
Joseph Hill wrote:
Sturmkraehe wrote:

Huge rule book? It's 12 pages, 8 of which are rules. By wargame standards, that's a mighty small rulebook.

Oh really? I guess I haven't looked at it in a while. My memory isn't what it used to be...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Russell
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joseph Hill wrote:
markus_kt wrote:
Joseph Hill wrote:
Sturmkraehe wrote:

Oh really? I guess I haven't looked at it in a while. My memory isn't what it used to be...

Number of pages may be misleading. How big is the font and how many illustrations of play examples are in those 8 pages? If not many example illustrations are in there and it's a small font, 8 pages can be pretty heavy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Bensmiller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Afraid Yet?
mbmbmbmb
Even thought I love Conflict of Heroes; based on your boys ages and some of the new things you can do with the game, I would suggest Tide of Iron. It's a bit larger in scope and some interesting mechanics make it a fun game to play.

Eventually you may want to try Axis and Allies Miniatures, or eventually move up to Flames of War if you don't mind the painting aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
theatre steve wrote:
Joseph Hill wrote:
markus_kt wrote:
Joseph Hill wrote:
Sturmkraehe wrote:

Number of pages may be misleading. How big is the font and how many illustrations of play examples are in those 8 pages? If not many example illustrations are in there and it's a small font, 8 pages can be pretty heavy.

Fair enough. As a general rule, I love to skim through online rules (when available) before buying a wargame. That's the best way to judge the rules vs. one's comfort level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joseph Hill wrote:
My memory isn't what it used to be...

You and me both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
captainmike wrote:
i want it to be (a) a "great" game (don't want to waste my time on mediocre games), (b) a two-player (or two-team) game, (c) slightly more complicated than memoir '44, (d) not too similar to memoir '44, and (e) a game that lasts 60-75 minutes long (as opposed to the 20-35 minute memoir '44).

thanks very much.

I'd agree with the recommendation for Napoleon's Triumph, though it may be a bit long for you (figure ~3.5 hours for your first game, and around 2 - 2.5 once you're comfortable with the rules. It's a nominal two-player game with very cool team-play rules if you want more than one person per side.

Tide of Iron is fun but many of the scenarios also go longer than your range. I'm looking forward to trying Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42.

I'll also second the recommendation for Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815. That's a fun 3-player block game that lasts ~2 hours and has a very slim rulebook.

If strictly 2-player is good (not more than 1 person on a side), then I'd also suggest Combat Commander: Europe. Very fun WWII tactical game. Almost cinematic, in that the random events can really cause some chaos.

Have you looked at any of the recent Axis & Allies titles? The theater- and operational-level ones are generally a lot of fun. I'm speaking of Axis & Allies: Europe, Axis & Allies: Pacific, Axis & Allies: Battle of the Bulge, and Axis & Allies: Guadalcanal. The latter two can fit into your time range if played relatively quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.