Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Stewart
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, what a suprise. I expected to come to the Third Reich page and see only entries from years ago. I'm glad to see TR is still being played.

I own TR, 2nd edition. I was planning to sell this, as well as my copies of Starship Troopers and Wooden Ships/Iron Men. I have Europe Engulfed and have played it several times. My initial thoughts were that EE has sort of replaced TR, but upon reflection i'm not sure about that. It seems that TR could have some advantages due to more maneuver room, different attack options (attrition, offensive), etc. I have really never played TR (other than one or two partial games 20 years ago).

So my question to you veterans is how does TR stand up to EE, or any other more modern games of SIMILIAR SCALE AND PLAYTIME (I assume they take about the same length of time to play - 10-15 hours for campaign game). Does TR offer anything they don't, is it bogged down with unclear rules or broken mechanics, is TR worth keeping?

THanks.

..Oh yeah, is TR worth playing with 3-5 players? I would really like to find a quality multiplayer wargame, it'd be great if I already had it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lott
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
for all questions above, 2nd ed can go out the window. Adv 3r is pretty good on all accounts as a multi-player game. Some would call it outdated but I still have a spot for it. As compared to EE... *shrug*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
My main comparison would be World War II: Barbarossa to Berlin which I disliked for being too restrictive and gamey (check my review for further details: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/198736). I know Hitler's War and Axis & Allies: Europe aren't the same level of complexity as TR but I felt even more let down by those titles. TR is a classic and in my book hasn't been surpassed although I haven't played Europe Engulfed, Advanced Third Reich, or Totaler Krieg!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sweeney
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also believe that the 2nd edition (which had fatal flaws) is best used for parts. It can be replaced rather easily with a 4th edition version. I have tried Advanced Third Reich and John Prados' Third Reich - IMHO neither is as good as the 4th edition of the game. Too much tinkering with the CRT (to include replacing it with a "lets roll multiple dice" system. Third Reich 4th edition is the way to go with 2 or 3 players - it gets tiresome for the 4th and 5th players after a time....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diffenderfer
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"A World at War" is the latest version of the game -- the successor to "Advanced Third Reich" and "Rising Sun" And it is played constantly by scores and scores of players. There's even a free dedicated software program so you can play it by email. ("Warplanner"). There are two Yahoo discussion groups, one each dedicated to both the game and the software PBEM model. It is an awesome game. WIDELY playtested and revised constantly over years and thousands and thousands of actual games. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/7614

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diffenderfer
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Despite the colossal rulebook and tons of new stuff, anyone who's every played the original "Third Reich" will immediately recognize it in "A World at War." The core system is the same...The counters look virtually identical to this day... (German 4-6 armor and 3-3 infantry units, "breakthrough and exploitation" on the Russian front, American 5-6 armor and 3-4 infantry, minor countries with their 1-3 infantry units, tracking "BRPs," paying 15 BRPs to launch "offensive options," "strategic redeployment," etc. etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stewart
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your comments. So what is the difference between the 2nd and 4th editions? Is the mapboard the same, were more units added to the game, or was it just some rule changes?
I'm suprised that no one made a comparison between TR and EE...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Schwarz
United States
New Baltimore
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I downloaded the 4th Edition Rules from The Wargame Academy from the link on the BGG 3R page. is that the 4th edition everyone is talking about?

I have not played 3R in ages. Theses discussion make me want to get it out and play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Yanez
Canada
Saskatoon
SK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
yes that is the 4th edition everyone's talking about, though it has a few minor typos or unclear passages (nothing major). i think it's missing the designer's and historical notes from the earlier editions.
but definitely the 4th edition is the way to go for clarity and playability it seems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.