Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the first ever Board Game Geek Secret Santa: Print & Play Edition!

An introduction to Print & Play: On the geek, there are a plethora of FREE games, there for the taking! The catch? YOU have to make them! Some simply require you to print and cut out, while others are much more complicated. In addition, you can make a quick player's copy, or take your time and make a masterpiece.

This Secret Santa event does two things: it lets us experience the wonderful feeling of giving someone a gift that you made yourself, and also lets us find and promote games that otherwise go overlooked.

The Rules

1. TO ENTER, send a geekmail to me with your full address (make sure to include country and a contact phone number for the courier service).

2. My goal is to include EVERYONE, and so I'm allowing ALL COUNTRIES to participate. If you would like your target to be from your own country, please say so (put "Domestic" in the body of the mail). If no one else from your country participates, I'll contact you. This is the most inclusive policy. Regardless of whether you agree/disagree with it, if you have comments, please express yourself in the Secret Santa Changes thread, NOT here.

3. If you have any special notes for your Santa, include them in the geekmail. This includes any wishlist requests.

4. The cutoff is November 15th, to give me time to match targets and everyone enough time to create and mail their games.

5. You are expected to create a Print and Play game and pay for the postage to mail it to your target. Please put some time and TLC into your creations - and remember that this is about the giving, not the receiving.

6. No remaking copyrighted games without permission. No one is going to go around and be the copyright police - just keep in mind that creating a game that designers are trying to make a profit with is hurting the industry, and our hobby as a result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in! Thanks for running this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
I'm in! Thanks for running this!

I'm looking forward to it, but don't thank me yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cramer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still not sure if I'm going to join or not. Hmmmm. . .

As an aside, do everyone a favor by thumbing this thread to keep it on the frontpage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in. Looking forward to picking a game I think the target will enjoy and then putting my creative talents to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
Twilight Imperium 3rd - Forever
mbmbmbmbmb
I love making P&P games. I am in on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
What about making a duplicate of a long-OOP expansion like Kremlin: Revolution?

Just a question...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:
What about making a duplicate of a long-OOP expansion like Kremlin: Revolution?

Just a question...

Officially, you need to get the approval of the current owner of the game's copyright, and what you do is at your own risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought.

But how do we know who owns an OOP game's rights? And is there a statute of limitations as to when those expire?

I know that with music and certain other things that there are different laws which govern who owns rights to things, and how long they are owned.

Heck, if games were like drugs, we could get generic versions after seven years... LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:
But how do we know who owns an OOP game's rights? And is there a statute of limitations as to when those expire?

Usually, it is a matter of contacting the company who last produced the game. Some of the grail games already have such research available in the forums. Expiration is a bit more tricky. Logos, names, graphics, and text fall under general copyright law:

Copyright.gov wrote:
As a general rule, for works created after January 1, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years. For an anonymous work, a pseudonymous work, or a work made for hire, the copyright endures for a term of 95 years from the year of its first publication or a term of 120 years from the year of its creation, whichever expires first.

Mechanics themselves, on the other hand, must be patented. This would matter if you "rethemed" the mechanics into something else. Patents last for 20 years.

The more important fact is that copyrights and patents are only worth the amount of legal capital used to defend them. It costs money to have an employee send a threatening letter, nevermind hiring a lawyer and starting legal proceedings. That isn't cart blanche to make whatever you want, but I do believe that if it is an OOP game, where the original copyright holding company is out of business, the risk is very limited. This is especially true considering the current number of reproductions out there that go without legal action.

That all having been said, I encourage everyone to pick a Print and Play game that is freely and publicly available, even if it is a quick and easy game to include with your larger masterpiece. Part of this Secret Santa project is to bring attention and gratitude to hours that our own BGG designers put in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Yup, changed the Avatar for self-promotion.
badge
Go vote in the 24-Hour RPG Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chevee Dodd
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might have JUST the game for this...

Chevee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb

I hope I get a grognard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
We're up to seven participants right now. There isn't a big rush to submit. Also, if you want to add to your note to your SS anytime before the submission deadline, you may feel free to do so.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
So long as the add-ons are not copyrighted, that should be fine. Just make sure your target owns the original game before sending them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Did we hit the cut-off? Did we get enough people?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I created a new thread, but it didn't get any steam. The cut-off has happened, and I'll be sending out targets tonight. If you want to jump in, this is the last, I repeat, last chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Targets have been assigned, check your geekmail and let me know of any difficulties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Ramirez
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude I totally missed this one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dirkgent001 wrote:
Dude I totally missed this one!

And I even posted twice to the PnP guild, which you are a member of!

Use this link to keep track of your guilds new posts:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/browse/guild/0?myguilds=...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
That works for me, I've sent a geekmail, just let me know if you're still interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a print and play forum slacker.

I have missed the boat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
Use this link to keep track of your guilds new posts:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/browse/guild/0?myguilds=...

Fantastic, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Jeremiah_Lee wrote:
I am a print and play forum slacker.

I have missed the boat.

Me too (the shame) blush
I subscribed to this thread a while ago to lurk and live vicariously. Well, there goes the lurking

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
If either of you are still interested, give me a geekmail and I'll give you my target. It would actually help, as my target already has my project....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.