Subject: new game for old player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Day Labs
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Hey all,
I used to play a lot of board games growing up and stumbled onto this website and am kind of blown away with all the new kinds of games. Now I want to try one out. I used to play just the basic ones, I would probably just be playing with one other person most of the time.

So I guess I'm looking for something that most people would enjoy just starting out on this hobby, but fairly deep and complex at the same time so that luck is taken out of the equation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Without knowing more about your tastes, it's hard to say. Your best bet might be to look at the top rated games and see what sounds interesting, and read the reviews and other forum posts about them.

For low luck (no luck in fact) pure strategy games, you might check out the project GIPF games. Some other elegant no-luck games I like include Hive, Blokus 3D, Trax... If you want somewhat longer and more complex low/no-luck games, there are a lot of eurogames that might interest you, e.g. Power Grid, Caylus, Metropolys, and the recent Essen release Cavum...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are just too many possibilities... you need to narrow it down. What sort of game interests you? Abstracts? Wargames? Family games? Card Games? What sort of themes or settings? Building things, travelling, killing zombies (very popular, that one), etc? How many players will you have on average?

EDIT: missed your comment about one other player!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The classic gateway games around here are Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, and Catan.

They have a bit of luck in them (probably still far less of a factor than you would have seen in "the basic ones" growing up), but are a lot of fun and easy to learn, and of the three, Ticket to Ride is probably the best balance of "good with 2 players" + "not too much luck" although there's still a fair bit (and others are certain to argue with me). Carcassonne is good with 2 but more lucky, and Settlers only works with 3 or more.

For a 2-player only zero-luck game that's easy to learn (and really cool looking to boot) I totally second Russ's suggestion of Hive.

Some of his other suggestions (e.g. Power Grid, Caylus) are a bit heavier and more complex, which you may end up really loving (they're two of my very favourites), but if I'd encountered them when first re-entering the hobby, I would have been a little overwhelmed, especially if I was trying to figure out the rules on my own rather than being taught by someone. Of those two, Power Grid is more accessible, but not so great with only 2.

My strongest recommendation? Find a game store in your area (you might post in one of the regional forums for suggestions in your neighbourhood) and stop by with your potential co-player to try some games out. Most stores have open copies of most of the games mentioned here, and tastes vary so much, it's always best to try before you buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Labs
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
hmm, well, I guess I really don't know. I should've done some more research, I figured you guys just knew who I was and would have the answer. I like cards, I play poker a lot, zombie killing does sound interesting, Traveling might be good, I like to use commas, I'll read up on the categories and try to give ya more info. Thanks for putting me on the right track. Yeah, I guess I won't worry about luck, most games I like require some luck but I just don't like the games where, when it's over we all think it was just because of luck, need some strategy ya know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Labs
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Going to a game store is a great idea. thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daydreamlabs wrote:
. . . I like cards. . .

Bohnanza is one of the best card games talked about around here.

It looks a little silly to some people (it's all about bean farming, and the beans are depicted in really whimsical ways), but it's a much more serious game than it appears.

There main game is a multiplayer game with lots of negotiation, trading, and wheeling and dealing trying to get rid of your bad cards and acquire good ones you're collecting.

The 2-player variant is a very different but equally good game of set collection and strategic discarding which is vaguely (but still not really) like gin rummy.

It's definitely worth checking out. If you're a card fan.

Other good card games which work with 2 or more: Race for the Galaxy (easier to learn if someone teaches you), San Juan, Jambo....

To give you more stuff to go research.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.