Thumb up
1 Posts

Careers» Forums » Reviews

Subject: User Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
I enjoyed playing this game with my sister many times when we were younger. This is probably one of the first games I played where it was a little more complicated than a simple roll and move game. The big novelty in this game is that you get to choose your victory conditions. Just as in real life you have to figure out when have you become successful. For some it is when they are famous, for others it is when they are rich, and for others all they need is happiness. Maybe you are a combination of all three.

Before you start playing the game you must decided how much fame; $_,000; and happiness you want to achieve. (They must add up to 60.) After you have decided this, which of the 3 things you need to receive impacts the choices you then make during the game. I have and play the 1971 version of the game where the Occupations are Ecology, Big Business, Teaching, Politics, The Arts, Sports, and Space. Other versions have different occupations, which reflect the era in which it was published. Each occupation will provide you with different chances to receive on of the 3 victory items.
Teaching is a great career path if you want happiness. Space is a great career path if you want fame, (but you loose out on your payday.) Big Business is a great career path if you want money.

There is some strategy as you choose which careers paths to adventure down and when to use your opportunity knocks cards (cards that allow you to move to the start position of a given career), or when to use your experience cards (cards that allow you to move a given number of spaces rather than roll the die). But as with any game that involves dice, luck is also a big factor. This game is by far one of the more fun roll and move games out there and with each version having different career paths, I’m sure you can find a version that peaks your interest.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.