Checkers» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
José Agüero
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a rules question regarding this game, the way I learnt it and have always played it is that it isn't mandatory to capture a piece.

For instance, if in this turn I can capture a piece or move another one I could pick either one.

However, I've found out that most online versions of the game force you to capture pieces whenever there's a chance.

What's the "official" interpretation to that rule, is capturing mandatory or not?

Thanks;
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's mandatory, and if that results in multiple captures that's mandatory too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many versions of checkers, but most do require capturing when you can. International checkers definitely requires this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Must Capture (Any rulebook and also Rule 8 from The Standard Laws of Checkers from 1852 (Tournament Checkers)).

There used to be a "Huff" rule or "Blow" rule which allowed you to remove your opponent's piece if they failed to make a required jump. This rule is only a variation now in casual play, and not an "official" rule.

Edits: Expanded explanation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I played as a child was that you were not required to capture. However, official rules, which I imagine all online play enforces the rule requiring you to jump if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Zapped by the Wall-o-Text spell.
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
mileser wrote:
The way I played as a child was that you were not required to capture. However, official rules, which I imagine all online play enforces the rule requiring you to jump if possible.

Absolutely! The must-jump rule is what makes checkers a deep-thinking strategy game instead of a no-brainer.

However, here's a rule that's even less well known: if you jump into the king row with a regular checker, it becomes a king but may not jump back out of the king row that turn. Your move ends whenever you king a man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomason
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
mileser wrote:

Absolutely! The must-jump rule is what makes checkers a deep-thinking strategy game instead of a no-brainer.

However, here's a rule that's even less well known: if you jump into the king row with a regular checker, it becomes a king but may not jump back out of the king row that turn. Your move ends whenever you king a man.

Huh. Didn't know that last rule... but then I guess I did, it just never occurred to me that anyone would think you could jump back out of the king row. Makes sense though, I can totally see people doing that, I've just never seen it or thought about it before!

And yeah, I totally agree that the must-jump rule is what makes the game playable and fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Zapped by the Wall-o-Text spell.
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Blackfaer wrote:
Patrick Carroll wrote:
mileser wrote:

Huh. Didn't know that last rule... but then I guess I did, it just never occurred to me that anyone would think you could jump back out of the king row. Makes sense though, I can totally see people doing that, I've just never seen it or thought about it before!

In the Checkers game on my Nintendo DS (part of "Clubhouse Games"), the program allows (in fact, requires) violating this rule and jumping back out of the king row after just being crowned.

In International CheckersShashki, I believe, you can (and must) continue jumping if you can upon being kinged.

But in standard English/American checkers/draughts, it's a no-no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedikt Rosenau
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
In International Checkers, I believe, you can (and must) continue jumping if you can upon being kinged.

No. In International Checkers as in American Checkers, the move ends with the promotion. I think you mistake it for the case where a piece goes to the back row, but leaves it because it can make a backwards capture from there while still being a piece. Note that the piece is not promoted then.

Shashki has promotion within a capture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.