Popular Tags: [View All]
Michelle
United States
Rush City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two months ago I started making a copy of Dead of Night for my husband as a birthday present. Until now, I had not tried doing this on such a scale. I was amazed at the amount of work it took to do this. Halfway through it, I was really hoping the reviews would match our tastes and this would be worth it.

It took me four tries to get the board the way I wanted it. Finally settled on adhering the sheets to the backs of tiles and cutting.
The cards were somewhat easier and I used cardstock in between the two printed pages and then coated them with scrapbooking contact paper. Did the same with all the bits and finally got all the heroes and zombies.

For the heroes, I used the Call of Cthulhu figures. Primed, painted and dipped into a varnish to get an old, dirtier look, I was happy with them.

Zombies were all purchased. Who could resist the zombie dogs?

We were now ready to play...

The rulebook is perhaps one of the best I've ever read. It would be funny to read without even having a game to go along with it.

Everything went well until we just about lost. We played cooperatively and had one last chance...the crashed car.

It doesn't take long to be inundated with dead things!
The play is smooth, balanced (except for over a hundred zombies coming at you). This game was exactly what I had hoped it would be, a ton of fun with a bit of tension. We've tried other zombie games only to be disappointed. Besides attacking zombies, the others didn't leave us too many options. Dead of Night is filled with options but you better do them quick.

Thank you, Simon, you made a wonderful game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My partner always laments about not doing enough "creative" things, but I suspect I'm probably still on my own for my long standing "make my own Dead of Night" set project.

Can I ask exactly what sort of tiles you used for the board sections ? And is "scrapbooking contact paper" a sort of see-through plastic material (a bit like laminating) ? Any other game-making for dummy hint appreciated !

Yours looks like a really nice set - well done !

Ben
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Rush City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ben,

Thanks for the compliment.
I used the self-adhesive floor tiles that you'd get in a home store. They sell them loose really cheaply or you can get a box of discontinued ones for almost nothing. (I line the drawers of work bench with them.) Then just cut them after you put the board on. I then sprayed them with acrylic sealer (7x).

The scrapbooking stuff is in a roll by contact paper. The scrapbooking one doesn't yellow. I just found out that you can buy a laminator for $30 here but I don't know how good it is.

The only other thing was to back the pages for the cards & bits with cardstock and then glue the backs of each to that. I cut the pages down to what they would be, for example, the page that has the cards on them, I glued that one to the cardstock, then cut the edges off. It makes it easier to line up the backs that way. After that I covered in the contact paper. Cut them out with the good side facing you.
It was a lot of work but after playing, I'd say it was definitely worth it and my husband loved it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Rush City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Zombiegod
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.