Subject: My house Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John A
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello everyone .
This is my first post in BGG but i have , for quite some time, been lurking devilhere in BGG reading reviews -variants , and BGG has greatly influenced my future Board game purchaces.
So i sensed it was time for me to give something back to the community ,albeit it might not be as important for others or even usefull , well here is my variant .
It is based on the Storm Knights variant used in basic Arkham Horror ,i personaly love it but it needed a modification IMHO to adapt to Dunwich Horror.

Loc.Status || No Gate/Closed ||_____ Gate ____________ || ___ Sealed___
Open Gate || New Gate+Monster || Doom Token+Monster || Monster Surge
Gate Burst || NewGate +Monster || Doom Taken +M.Surge || Gate/Monster

Monster Surge:One monster per player or no of open gates whichever is greater minus number of elder sign tokens on board.(Makes Sealing gates more important due to the added M.surge )

Also here are some extra rules i use for combat

Multiple monsters in a location :-1 to monster combat penalty if monsters are equal or more than Investigators Fight Skill (EG 2 fight skill would mean -1 extra combat penalty for 2 monsters ) this gives some more realism makes combat characters stronger in fighting and makes loremaster's want to avoid hard fights.
When multiple Monsters in a location roll Horror versus the lowest penalty(remember we are taking negative here -3 is lower than -1) amongst the monsters in that location,this means that if you encounter in a location a serial killer and an outer demon when you combat the serial killer you still cant help but notice the pit fiend nearby .
When sneaking just roll once versus the lowest awareness number -1 no matter how many monsters are in a location (eg supose the lowest is -3 and there are 3 monsters you want to sneak just take a -4 penalty and roll once if you succeed you duped them all ) this will make sneaking a tad harder but also save you lots of tiresome rolls.

Thats all mates .I hope that someone else besides me finds it nice.
Looking forward for your comments.
PS:As you ve propably understood i am not a native English speaker .And i appologise for the damage i caused to the English language arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand the first part. Isn't it essentially StormKnight's rule, except a gate burst on a location with an already opened gate causes a monster surge?

You realize that with Atlach-Nacha as the Ancient One, EVERY card is a gate burst? That would bode quite problematic with your variant. It may need to be refined.

Personally, I found that when Dunwich alone came into the mix, the StormKnight variant was no longer necessary nor wise (as some Dunwich AOs depend on monster surges for their abilities to work). Dunwich had successfully re-balanced the game to be more stressful near the end rather than the beginning.

Adding the clause about seals reducing the number of monsters caused by a surge is not a good idea. First of all, this means that it's possible for a monster surge to result in few or no monsters. Second, that means that near the end of the game, as players have more seals down, they will experience fewer monsters during the already-less-frequent monster surges. This counteracts the purpose of StormKnight's variant by making the game's coda less stressful and less dangerous.

For your second mod, are you recommending that multiple monsters in the same location should be easier or harder overall? Having to calculate if and by how much each monster's modifier will change based on the character's Fight skill seems like it would be too much trouble for an effect that doesn't appear to offer much. If an investigator goes somewhere where there are multiple monsters, the downside is that s/he will have to deal with them all. On the other hand, s/he can potentially kill them more quickly than one per turn. So without any new rules in this area, I feel like the system balances itself out.

If you want to emphasize your "pit fiend" example, you can force the investigators to encounter the monsters in the order of most severe horror check to least (-2s first in any order they want, then -1s in any order they want, then 0s... etc). Again, I'm merely arguing on the side of simplicity here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for your arguments Chris.
I ll take this chanche and add that this variant is for 2-4 players.

Yes it is StormKnight's variant that i added the rule for the Gate Burst.
As you ve noticed there is a second Monster Surge on a gate burst when it targets an Open Gate,this means that you ll get more monsters on average since you now get a Surge both on a Sealed location and on a Gate(when it is the target of a burst gate card) ,As for the combat rules i use my goal is to make these "crowded fights" more difficult especialy for non-fight oriented investigators , precicly because having lots of monsters in a location is a rare occurance having a bit more complicated system that adds to the suspence of being locked up by lots of mobs or being a scholar running from the monsters ,will add to fun without being tiresome , cause if it was a common case then this added calculations would surely be a bit too much.And as for the perception or horror system, well it just made sense to me that if you can sneak past the highest perception then you succeed against lower ones too, same for horror checks, and besides having a tone of realism it also has the added benefit of limiting the dice rolls.
This system was the outcome of my personal experiences , in the dozen or so games i ve played i figured out that if i have 4 elder sign tokens down i am propably going to win (80%+) but could still take 2 hours to do so without though having any real danger so the thing with the elder sings cutting down the monster's will just give a bonus to end a game that would end in victory anyway.As for the posibility of having too few or even no creeps then you say 2-3 elder signs -1 monster per surge, 4-5 -2 monsters
what do you think?

PS if Atlach-Nacha is the elder one, we just want the Gate Burst card specificaly for M.Surge control and will only trigger the M.Surge when we actually draw a Gate Burst .(for this specific reason we dont count the other cards as gate bursts)
PS2:D The idea behind having the elder signs subtracted from the monsters during a Msurge is based on the fact that the grip of the Ancient evil that fades away with each seal on Arkham i mean suddenly you have 6 seals and you banish him but on 5 seals he is up and running like when you had no seals ? it didnt bode well to my eyes.

Any more comments or suggestions Welcomed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing to consider is that if monster surges are based largely on gates opening on seals, then Atlach-Nacha is going to suffer a large dip in the number of monster surges he creates.

PS--yeah, only counting the actual reddened Burst card is what I thought you'd do. But for the reasons above, I'm not sure it's enough.

PSS--StormKnight actually came up with a second variant that I continue to use that is related to Elder Signs slowly diminishing the AO's power.

When the AO awakens, in addition to filling the AO's doom track, it gets 7 doom tokens on its track. Then, you take away 2 for every elder sign on the board when the AO awoke. I personally use 6 instead of 7, so that on average the AO will break even. In addition to enhancing the power of seals, it discourages players from gearing up for final combat too early in the game--a facet of the game that many players dislike.

The bottom line is, I'm not sure we need StormKnight's gate mod--or any variations on it--anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmb
Didnt see that variant sounds nice i ll give it a go next game.
As for not using variants it all adds up on how you like your game.Also playing the vanilla game at least in my experiences turned out to be too easy i ve had a game that ended up in 20 minutes and i ve only lost once in a dozen times ,with these variants the field testing yield was 3 loses in 8 games, also i d like to clarify that the only expansion i use is Dunwich horror
i ve read about the next ones but neither own them or have ever played them , so i dont know if they actually make the game harder (i suppose the herald will make it harder . on the other hand you ve got guardians i hear, that they tend to cancel out)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight's gate variant was perfect for the base game. In the base game, the tension started strong and then slowed down as you got down more seals. It increases the difficulty of the game overall, but also puts the suspense in proper order.

But you did say that you have Dunwich. The addition of five new unstable locations in Dunwich is all the game needed to become quite difficult. However, the new AOs are quite tough, and the addition of Gate Bursts means that no seal is safe. Dunwich was the main turning point in difficulty for us. If you're using just the base game with Dark Pharaoh and/or King in Yellow expansions, then StormKnight's variant is good. But I recommend playing normally now that you have Dunwich, just to get an idea of how crazy that expansion makes the game.

But to each his own, really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.