Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had at least 5 "buyers" of my items who have a)signed up on BGG on the day they place an order b)never visit BGG again and c)never respond to the order confirmation or payment reminders.

Three of them have come in the last month, so it seems like it is an increasing trend, at least for me.

Is there a way to block those with "New User" badges from buying items in your Marketplace? It's a bit of a pain to get the game out, pack it, weigh it, get a postage amount, confirm the sale and then get blown off. I don't think that I have ever had anyone who orders on the same day as joining BGG following through. As a result I have to submit the sale for a refund and then relist the item after a week or so of keeping it to the side.

I think that I will start sending Geek Mails and e-mails to any "New Users" who order form me to make sure that they want the game before I do the other stuff, but I'd rather just block them until they prove that they are bona fide buyers by sticking arouond BGG for a month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Naturally, I just got a prompt payment form the latest New User that ordered from me on their first day on BGG.

I guess that I spoke too soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
In a similar situation I had a copy of Puerto Rico for trade and a "New User" sent me a trade offer (she offered Alhambra).

I responded to her saying along the lines, "Yes we can do this buy you have to send me your copy of Alhambra first and when I receive it, I'll send you out my game. And you need to send out your package, much like I will with mine, with tracking information as well."

She complied and everything went smoothly.

Needless to say, I don't think she's been on since.

-DK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to get more egg on my face, another New User contacted me after I sent a payment reminder and made arrangements to pay by check.

The trend has now reversed for me and maybe my prior experiences were an aberration.

In teh immortal words of Emily Litella, "Never Mind."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to now "never mind" my previous "never mind."

I have recently gotten two orders from people who "bought" on their first day on BGG and vanished. At this time of year it is especially annoying because it pulls items off that might be bought by someone else for a gift.

I am wondering if the new users just don't understand that they are making an actual order here, despite what it says on the pages they look at. Maybe they think they are just getting a quote with shipping, expressing interest in the item or even might be ordering by mistake.

I think that a solution for this problem would be to wait a day after someone signs up before activating their BGGM privileges. I doubt if the hit and run "buyers" would come back if this was the case. Only those new users who actually intend to buy will return and place an order. A day shouldn't make a difference in that case.

Before I submit this as an official suggestion, does any one else have this problem and if so do you think this would help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't be a bad idea, although you'd probably want to prompt them to get in touch with the seller if they really did want to buy the game just so there wasn't misfortune the next day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect that the New User buyer trend is a holiday season phenomenon - likely non-gaming friends and family members signing on to buy a gift.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
I suspect that the New User buyer trend is a holiday season phenomenon - likely non-gaming friends and family members signing on to buy a gift.

-MMM

Matthew,

I've had it happen at different times of the year.

I believe that out of 7 orders I have received from people who have ordered on their first day on BGG, two of them have carried through and one of them needed two reminders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Psauberer wrote:
Octavian wrote:

-MMM

Matthew,

I've had it happen at different times of the year.

I believe that out of 7 orders I have received from people who have ordered on their first day on BGG, two of them have carried through and one of them needed two reminders.

I'm not doubting that it happens throughout the year. Merely pointing out that you can expect a spike around now.

As a reminder, if anyone has a listing being hung up by an unresponsive buyer, please geekmail me with a link to the transaction page and I can delete the transaction manually. You will still need to relist the item.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This exact thing has happened to me in the last 2 weeks as well.

I would not want to "block" these users but rather especially since their new, a warning should come up saying they are entering into a contractual agreement etc etc before they can click confirm.

It might also be useful if they were told to just email the seller for payment and shipping information FIRST and once responded to they should go through with the purchase.

My 2 cents, 3 new users did the same to me and all disappeared. My games are also tied up and like Paul states might have been sold otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.