Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Maesen
United States
Pacifica
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a Torres fan, but never played Arkadia. What does Arkadia have that Torres doesn't, and visa versa! Is there enough of a difference to merit having both games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE REVENGE OF THE GOLDFISH
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are complete different games,in Arkadia you score after your turn,its a good game but a little bit dry.
I prefer Torres its more challenge and with the optional(for me are basics)rulesmake its much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sekke
Belgium
Brakel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from the tower pieces, these are completly different games!

Different but also very good. There are some interresting mechanics in Arkadia that make it worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both games, and enjoy them both for different reasons. I like Arkadia because it has the added complexity of scoring as the tiles on the tower blocks changes - there is additional strategy and timing. There are also enough money blocks to be able to count the score, whereas Torres has that odd-numbered scoring track around the outside that is never long enough, and the weird number makes it hard to keep track when going around again. The scoring track issue comes up in New World, but we solve this by changing the orientation of the person - walking 1st loop, on his back second loop, one hand one foot third loop. Torres is fun, but I felt I had pretty much done the best I could with it after a bit, and Arkadia allows for more challenges. Although you both utilize the tower pieces, you do so in very different ways. You can also play Arkadia as swoop-in-and-take-a-good-move, or give-each-other-space. LordDillon and I tend to play games as the latter. Fitting the town buildings on the board has a spacial element akin to Blokus, and placing people is a lot like that part of Pillars of the Earth. I think the minimum age and minimum strategy level is slightly higher for Arkadia than Torres, but not hugely so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Which game gives you more of the tower bits? I really want the bits for another purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
sekke wrote:
Apart from the tower pieces, these are completly different games!

Different but also very good. There are some interresting mechanics in Arkadia that make it worthwhile.

^ This. I have both games - Arkadia gets played more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronak wrote:
Which game gives you more of the tower bits? I really want the bits for another purpose.

Torres comes with 92. Arkadia comes with 28. So get Torres. Those pieces are awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.