Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've thought about this question and I have got to say that I would not buy Puerto Rico!
The main reason is that it is a 3+ player game and I would rather 2+ player games.
I play mostly with my wife but I play a lot of 3 player games and still I do not fancy this game!
For those of you that own all the games in the top 10, which game would you not buy in the top 20!
The only reason why I ask is because I would like to know what other peoples opinions are!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico is just WAY too overrated for me to buy unless it was in a chartiy shop (thrift store?).

Tigris & Euphrates and El Grande don't appeal to me.

And I don't think I'd ever get the chance to play Caylus.

Personally, I just don't understand why Path's of Glory isn't in the top ten.... I do really, it's a wargame.

Phil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
Puerto Rico is just WAY too overrated for me to buy unless it was in a chartiy shop (thrift store?).

Phil.

Hmmm so if it was rated 7.01 and 198th place in the ranking you would buy it from your FLGS at full price?

Sorry I had to ask
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one I would currently likely buy is Through the Ages as I think I might like it. All the others I either have or have already decided that I don't like at all or at least not enough to want to own.

In the case of Caylus I would want to be paid enough to buy a decent game to take it off someone else's hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico, El Grande (so boring), Agricola.

However, Twilight Struggle at #4 is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ugur Dönmez
Netherlands
Hoofddorp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turns out I own 4 of the top 10, and as for the others:

Power Grid, Race for the Galaxy, Through the Ages: Haven't played yet

Tigris & Euphrates: A lot of people I game with have this already, and am not too crazy about it anyway

Twilight Struggle: I rarely game with 2 players so this wouldn't be worth it

Princes of Florence: Possible buy at some point, but several others own it already and it doesn't get played very often
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
I have not played Caylus, Through the Ages, or Twilight Struggle so I have no opinion on them.

I would not purchase Princes of Florence again. It is still a game I think is decent and would play if someone suggested it, but my desire to play it is minimal. I feel similarly about Puerto Rico. I like it. Its a good game. I would play it if someone wanted to. It is not something I have a high desire to play..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two games in the top 10 that I am least likely to buy are:

Tigris & Euphrates -- I bought it a few years ago, and I didn't like it enough to keep it (so I traded it).

Race for the Galaxy -- a friend owns it (so I can play the game with her when she brings it). And it has a tough-to-figure-out (at least for us) set of card symbols, as well as a lot of unique cards, and I don't think I would play it enough in a short period of time to get it all to "stick" for me and for the others I play games with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'We' own 8 of the TopTen. I would not buy Twilight Struggle. It does not appeal to me and it's two-player. We might buy TtA at some point.

(And Puerto Rico is a 2-5 player game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
MidKentGamerUK wrote:
I wouldn't buy:

1) Because I already own it (although might buy another if the first gets worn out)
2) Because I owned it before and simply didn't enjoy it.
3) Because I owned it before and simply didn't enjoy it.
4) Because I already own it.
5) Because I owned it before and simply didn't enjoy it.
6) Because I already own it.
7) Because I already own two copies (deluxe n regular).
8) Because the theme doesn't appeal and am not a great fan of card games.
9) Because it just doesn't interest me enough to buy without having played it first.
10) Because it's too expensive for another poxy card game with naff artwork.

Well you did ask...

Exactly - are you asking what Top 10 games we would not purchase again, having suddenly lost our own copies?

If so, then:
1) Yes
2) No
3) Yes
4) Yes
5) Maybe
6) Maybe
7) No
8) No
9) No
10) Yes

Or are you asking for some speculative perspective, wherein we never owned it? And if so, have we ever played it? And if we haven't, but have in real life, are you asking for us to adopt this fictional mindset?

*BTW, once you settle on your suppositions, a poll would be the best way to handle this info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did the top twelve since I don't (haven't) own(ed) two of the top ten.

Agricola (Buy)
The game is dry and non-intuitive, but it is very simple and easy to learn how to play (just not how to play well).

Puerto Rico (Don't Buy)
The game is fun and interesting for a handful of plays.
After that, it is the same game over and over. Play someone else's copy, you don't need it.

Power Grid (Buy)
This game scales so well from 2-6. It is also a game of absolute perfection. I think this should be the #1 game.

Twilight Struggle (Don't know) I don't own so I can't make a qualified decision.

Tigris & Euphrates (Maybe)
This is a tough game to learn, but once you learn it, it is fantastic. The learning curve makes me think I would avoid re-buying it, but it really is a lot of fun once you know how to play.

El Grande (Maybe)
The game really requires 4-5 people to play. Any fewer and the game is really dull. If you have that many people it is an excellent game, and I do recommend it.

Caylus (Buy)
I've been in the position to re-buy this. I did. The game is quite excellent at what it does; worker placement and building. There are few other games that do this so well. Many think Agricola is the better game for this, but I contend that for one reason: You know what you are building in Caylus, Agricola is a little hazy on that matter.

Race for the Galaxy (Buy)
But only on sale....
That game is grossly overpriced. It also has a somewhat steep learning curve but is absolutely rewarding to overcome that initial step. Once you understand the symbols and mechanics this is an absolutely brilliant game. It may be hard to get others over the learning curve, though, so be warned.

Princes of Florence, The (Don't Buy)
I don't know what it is, but this game just isn't "fun".
It looks great, and you are doing interesting things and there are lots of different things you can do, and you get to build. I can see why people "think" they like this game, but there just isn't much to it underneath it's shiny chrome.

Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization(Don't know) I don't own so I can't make a qualified decision. Price point suggest no.

Age of Steam (Tough Call)
On a gut reaction, I would pull the trigger and buy this one.
The problem is, it's very unforgiving and can be very challenging for new players to learn. I absolutely love this game though. The best part for me is how tight the economic system is. I love financial simulations and this is probably one of the tightest ones out there. One mess up and you're done. This is also a reason why many may want to avoid it.

War of the Ring (Don't Buy, in fact burn the copy in the store)
To be fair, if you are a die hard LotR fan, you will probably like this game. It has absolutely gorgeous components, it follows the books very closely and you get a lot for what you pay. However, the rulebook is terrible. It took 8 readings just to get into my first play and even then my opponent and I had to stop every other turn to look up a rule. Even after five games, I was STILL looking up rules. The biggest faux pas, however, was that the game is horribly linear. The game follows the books almost precisely, so there really isn't a lot of room to change the way things happen. Sure, you can get a military win over chucking the ring into the pit of fire, but to be honest, it isn't likely. The game just didn't do much for me and I felt that most of my decisions were forced. I cannot recommend this game unless you are getting it as a collector's item.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Agricola: Own it.
2) Puerto Rico: Traded away, I don't care for it.
3) Power Grid: Never Will own in, boring.
4) Twilight Struggle: Would buy, if someone will play.
5) Tigris & Euphrates: Traded away.
6) El Grande: Traded away, I don't care for it.
7) Caylus: Own it, will probably trade it, I don't care for it.
8) Race for the Galaxy: Own it.
9) The Princes of Florence: Would buy if given the chance.
10) Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization: Never played, would play before deciding.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all of them. Great set BTW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't own and wouldn't buy Power Grid. Don't like the "hang back" mentality that is required. Don't own and wouldn't buy Caylus, cause it's too long for what it delivers, (especially with all the subsequent worker placement games that have come out since then). Don't own El Grande, but may pick it up at some point along the line, though I don't usually have five players. Kind of wish I hadn't bought Twilight Struggle, as I soured on it pretty quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
1. Agricola; I *am* buying it (used), though I was tentative at first and did not preorder, instead preferring to wait until I played it.
2. Puerto Rico; I'm not enough of a fan to buy it, and if anyone wants to play it, one of the people who wants to play it invariably already owns it.
3. Power Grid; See 2.
4. Twilight Struggle; Would definitely need to play it first.
5. Tigris & Euphrates; Bought it back when there was no domestic release.
6. El Grande; Bought it long ago; traded it away for lack of play; regretting.
7. Caylus; See 4.
8. Race for the Galaxy; Bought it and would buy it again.
9. Princes of Florence; See 7.
10. Through the Ages; See 9 (only this one I actually am very eager to play).

If I were told today "Tomorrow you'll own nine of these and the tenth you'll never own", the tenth would probably be Caylus. Even not having played it yet, I consider it the least urgent among those I've yet to play, in large part because I don't care to burn out on worker-placement games like I burned out on auction games.

All told, though, the top 10 as a whole is a little too heavy/long for my tastes. Under most circumstances, I prefer a shorter attention span and the ability to get multiple different experiences out of one evening rather than a single game that occupies its entirety. 90 minutes is about the upper limit of what I usually like to spend on any one game, and all of the top 10 save for Race for the Galaxy have listed play times of 90 minutes or longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
I own them all except Caylus and Through the Ages and don't expect to buy either of those. I think Through the Ages is too expensive and too long for what is basically a card game. I didn't like Caylus but it may have been the group I was playing it with. I probably should give it another chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Carter
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola - It's a very expensive game, and when I've played it I find that the amount of fun I derive from it is not worth the amount of work I put into it. However, I will say that the last time I played it, with drafted cards, I had quite a sizable victory.

Puerto Rico - For me, it's not nearly as fun as the ranking indicates. I don't like games where someone at the table knows who's going to win after just the first 3 turns.

Twilight Struggle - I simply haven't seen this one yet. One member of our group owns it, so I might get to play one day.

El Grande - Played it once. Not bad, but not something I feel needs to be part of my collection.

Caylus - Oh hell no.

Princes of Florence - See Caylus.

Through the Ages - See Twilight Struggle, only take away the part about someone in our group owning it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.R. Lee
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Well I already own:

Puerto Rico
Power Grid
El Grande
Caylus
Race for the Galaxy

I have Agricola and Princes of Florence on my want list, so obviously I would buy those.

So that leaves twilight Struggle, Tigris and Euphrates, and Through the Ages that I would not buy. The reason I wouldn't buy them at this point is because they limited to 2 or 4 players. At this point if there are games that can handle 5 or 6 players I will be looking to buy those first because I know they will be played more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This should be a poll.

I had Agricola but returned it because I'll never play it at home and it just didn't excite me.

Puerto Rico=will never get played.

Everyone in my group has Caylus.

I had Twilight Struggle but traded it. However, I will probably repurchase it at some point, maybe when my son is a few years older.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Which top ten game would you not buy?
Agricola
Puerto Rico
Power Grid
Twilight Struggle
Tigris & Euphrates
El Grande
Caylus
Race for the Galaxy
The Princes of Florence
Through the Ages: a Story of Civilization
      109 answers
Poll created by craniac
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't get any of them, thanks.

Seems silly since I have them already
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, Through the Ages is in the top 10?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one I don't own already is Twilight Struggle and I have no interest in buying it. First, it's only for 2 and my regular opponent for 2-player games would be put off by the theme. Second, I'm put off by the theme. A Cold War card game is pretty high up on my scale of boring things (worse than hanging out the washing, but not as bad as waiting for a train at Derby station). wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, it has for some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

1 Agricola - Want to play before I consider buying but not enthusiastic about playing it really.

2 Puerto Rico - Already own.

3 Power Grid - Quite fancy this although haven't played it yet.

4 Twilight Struggle - Want to play before I consider buying.

5 Tigris & Euphrates - Not interested in this at all, wouldn't buy may play.

6 El Grande - Not really interest would probably never buy would at least like to play it.

7 Caylus - Give me death or Caylus - preferably death. Not fair really I would probably play it if you put a gun to my head, I may take a few minutes to come to that decision.

8 Race for the Galaxy - I am considering buying this and it is on my wishlist.

9 Princes of Florence, The - Never thought about this game, didnt even put my name forward when this was on European Chain Of Generosity http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/34018 .devil Will play but probably wont buy.

10 Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization - Doesn't interest me. Again will play won't buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.