Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
So, there we were on a brisk Thursday evening, K & I, during our typical game night: serving a tasty dinner of garlic & herb pasta with chicken, and then gearing up for 1 or 2 (maybe even 4) games of Through the Ages. Little did we know at this point that this night would be different!

One of our prospective gamers, L, had not arrived yet. He was tentative to begin with, but we didn’t want him showing just as I get Shakespeare into play!, so we decided to wait a few more minutes one way or the other.

“Come into my parlor,” I said with an innocent smile. “There’s this cool new game I want to show you.”

Into the parlor we went. Where the PC and the laptop were hiding. Waiting. Just as I wait. Patiently waiting for the real game to show up in stores.

We loaded up BSW and logged in to our respective accounts, then she “ghooked” me into the Dominion room. I spent a scant few minutes teaching her the mechanics of the game and the basic set of cards and then we commenced to play a quick learning game. After 10 min, we did another one. Then another one, only this time we changed it up to the “big money” set, then the “interactive.” And then “size distortion” (whatever that is). Finally, after several games and with her veneer of confidence that she had the cards down, we dived headlong into the deep end with random.

A little under four hours later, we were done for the night.

33 games straight. No break.

A single game of Dominion does not really satisfy the urge for the epic scale and grandeur that a session of Through the Ages provides. But a long and desperate series of quick games does. The despair one has after disastrous back-to-back losses due to poor card buying decisions is ably countered by the immediate gratification of a victorious new strategy, or by buying province cards “just a bit earlier!”

This was an odd combination of the face-to-face and BSW experience. Playing online over-the-board left us with out any of the fiddly shuffling and moving of cards, just the pure gaming joy of making tough decisions and having them pay off quickly. Once we got rolling along, our games never took more than ten minutes. Most took only five or so. Because she was a new player, the scores were a little one-sided, but as we played, her skill improved and she left with a low, but satisfying win rate.

And a new addiction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dale yu
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
If you're not part of the soultion...
badge
You're part of the precipitate!
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:

Wow!

So, did you find any other bugs with the BSW implementation? I'm still on the lookout for anything that we can fix!

Dale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. I'd love to schedule a game day where we all sat around the table on our laptops and gamed on BSW or other sites. Play a bunch of games not have have to shuffle, lay out bits or any other fiddling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Bailey Sr.
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
33? Rookies I have over 100 now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Skyjack wrote:
I've played it 35 times, but that took 7 days of playing. I might not even get in a single game tonight. surprise We'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Payne
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmb
Skyjack wrote:

Yeah, so do I...

But 33 in one night? Bloody hell!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Lardarse wrote:
Skyjack wrote:

Yeah, so do I...

But 33 in one night? Bloody hell!

Time flew by. We played for just under 4 hrs, which is less than we normally do playing TWO games of Through the Ages!

Now, if only they'd code up a BSW-implementation of Through the Ages, I'd be in heaven!

yudp wrote:
out4blood wrote:

Wow!

So, did you find any other bugs with the BSW implementation? I'm still on the lookout for anything that we can fix!

If there were any, we didn't notice them. On a funny note, we did spend about 3 minutes trying to uncover a scoring mistake. I was sure I had won a game, but the score seemed wrong somehow. After recalculating the score a few times, I realized that I had in fact won, and had merely misread the winner's name. That was about the point where we decided we had played enough games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Sheffield
United States
Aberdeen
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a "Fix" not a bug per se but it would be a major help -

Could you add some sounds when the "Moat Triggers" are played:

a trumpet when the Militia is played, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick King
United States
Duluth
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This game is great, and I can't wait to buy it.

As for bugs, there still seem to be a couple.

Biggest we saw, is sometimes Throne Room + Thief was trashing non coin cards. I couldn't nail down exact scenarios, except that every time it did happen, there was 1 coin on player A's display, and 0 on player B's, in a 3 player game, and it would trash one of player B's cards. There were plenty of times when this same scenario came up and it didn't trash the non coin card though. We weren't sure if it was merely an animation glitch either, because each time we noticed it, we hadn't checked card counts.

others include not showing other players which action a player took on a spy or thief card. IMO, we should see the result of the attackers choice, where it currently stays at the default icon, and you have to catch the animation to see what happened.

The discard piles seem to act really wonky, not always letting you see a persons top card, and sometimes showing more than 1.

the card that has you remove a victory point card from hand to deck doesn't let you pick the victory card you'd like to put on your deck. very minor, but it comes into play with remodel and chapel, and others i'm sure.

I second the wish for a sound when its not your turn but you are to take an action, such as moat or militia.

I'd also like to see the adventurer next arrow moved from the same place to skip the action phase, maybe tot he adventurer window itself, because sometimes you will click twice, and accidentally skip to your buy phase.

showing stack counts permanently would also rock, but again is very minor.

Not sure if this one is still around, but Throne Room + Feast was broken before the most recent set of fixes that fixed moat. Not sure of the details, but had it mentioned in several games.

This one might just affect me, and is really being lazy/ui dependent, but I'm going to mention it... When you play a militia card, or another card that requires opponents to act, the 'action' icon isn't removed until after they have acted. What this does, is sometimes as you're planning and executing your card chain, you spot check the action/buy indicator, and see an action there that really doesn't exist, because a player has yet to show a moat or discard a card. Again, its technically a player issue, and I bet the sound indicators will help even more, but it would be awesome to have the icons go away right when they're initiated rather then after they have completely resolved, to help with that timing misdirection that can happen.

All in all, the BSW implementation has been awesome, and the biggest bugs were fixed really fast. It has served as one hell of an addiction starter, and I hope the FLGS has it tomorrow when I go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, one bug I *have* noticed...

When a player plays the spy multiple times, it appears he ALWAYS gets new cards to look at, even if he had replaced the cards back on top the deck - whereupon he should get to see my card a second time - but it doesn't happen in BSW. Also, when he dumps a card, it should show up on my discard stack, but it doesn't appear to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valerie Putman
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ohgeetee wrote:

The discard piles seem to act really wonky, not always letting you see a persons top card, and sometimes showing more than 1.

Actually, I think that what you are seeing is the card/cards that the player bought on their last turn when you mouse over their name. This is not intended to show you the top of their discard pile.

Valerie
They Might Be Developers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
statonv wrote:
ohgeetee wrote:

Actually, I think that what you are seeing is the card/cards that the player bought on their last turn when you mouse over their name. This is not intended to show you the top of their discard pile.

Valerie
They Might Be Developers

Hmm, why is that? Aren't we supposed to be able to see the top of the discard pile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valerie Putman
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:

Hmm, why is that? Aren't we supposed to be able to see the top of the discard pile?

In person, you can see the top card of the discard pile but you CAN'T see the card count on the discard pile. There are some subtle differences implemented by the writers of the program.

We asked to have the discard count removed, but the programmers pointed out that in person you do have *some* information about the discard pile size. So no matter what, we weren't going to be able to exactly duplicate the face to face experience.

We wanted a way to quickly see the last cards bought because the turns can move sooooo quickly. We didn't want a running text in the text box of card bought, though, to reduce the likelihood of scrolling back to card count.

In person, you can choose how to discard your cards in order to hide a card from your hand that you didn't play. We wouldn't want to seriously slow down the game play by letting you choose which card to put on top of the discard pile. There are no cards that let you interact with the top card of the discard pile (and no plans for this effect in the future), so the order that you put the cards into the discard pile are not necessary information for the game mechanics to work.

I got to meet with the programmers at Essen (and finally get to see the inside of their really cool bus) and they explained to us that it is rarely possible to make the online game *exactly* the same experience as face-to-face. They made a convincing arguments for the decisions that they made in those situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.