Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say a player before me plays 4,4 and then the flow of play comes to me. I have a higher pair I could play but I also have the Mah Jong. Could I play the Mah Jong card and a make a wish for say a 3? That means no one would be able to steal the trick unless they had a bomb?

I am basically looking to clarify if I can play the Mah Jong at any point w/o having to follow the lead hand type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Krach
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you cannot. It can be played only as a first single card or combined in a straight(?) of at least 5 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I can't play the Mah Jong in that circumstance even if I simply want to play it with a wish, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Cassola
Italy
Piacenza
PC
flag msg tools
Power player
badge
http://www.orizzonteventi.org
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the mahjong can only be played as the lowest single or the lowest card of straigth, it cannot by played out of the lead. There is no other way to play it. In the example you cannot play it after a pair of 4 beacuse if pairs are leading you can only play higher pairs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
conky wrote:
Could I play the Mah Jong card and a make a wish for say a 3? That means no one would be able to steal the trick unless they had a bomb?

The answers above answer the first quoted question, which makes the second one moot in this circumstance. But I feel the second begs an answer as well, because clearly you're under a very false impression of what the wish does.

The wish never prevents a player from being able to play. If a player *can* fulfill the wish, the player is obligated to fulfill the wish (And cannot pass or make a different play). But if a player cannot fulfill the wish, they are not constrained at all and can play whatever they want (provided it's a legal play - that being, same form/type/quantity as the current play but higher ranked, or a bomb). In a slightly modified version of your theoretical scenario (let's assume a wish-3 was still in effect from a preceding lead:

Player A led the MJ and wished 3; player B, having no 3, played a king; player C played an ace (doesn't matter if he has a 3, so long as he doesn't have a bomb which includes a 3), and everyone else passed (also all not having any bombs that include a 3). So C takes the pile, and on the following lead, player C leads 4-4 (he has no 3's, or else his lead would have to have included a 3).

At this point, nobody is constrained at all by the wish in what they can play (unless they have a bomb including a 3, but the first lead already established that nobody does). Anyone can play 55 or 66 or AA or Phoenix-King or 2222 (bomb) or 910JQKsuited (bomb) or any other legal play on this lead - regardless of whether they have a 3 or do not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh, now it's coming together. I don't know why this card is squeezing our brains so much but my group and I have been having trouble getting our arms around it's use/rules. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.