United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb
As luck would have it, Geek of the Week #164 (Geosmores) was unable to participate very much due to a myriad of problems and so I'm again in the position of choosing the next Geek of the Week #165. David, we hope things get back on track and that you get a chance to answer some of the great questions in your GotW thread.

Although, there was an Unofficial GotW #165 I think you'll see that the real #165 is hardly a nobody in the world of boardgames.

I present to you the real #165:

Valerie Putman
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

statonv wrote:

Hello! My name is Valerie Putman (well, not legally, but it's the name I use outside of academia). I am an Associate Professor of Psychology at a small mid-western University. Specifically, I am a Biopsychologist (focussing on the biological basis of behavior) and a Behaviorist (focussing on observable behaviors). I teach classes like Learning, Health Psychology, Animal Behavior, and Biopsychology. I also teach the Research Methods class and I am a statistics junkie. Whenever possible I use games in the classroom--for example, I use Zendo to teach hypothesis testing and as soon as I saw the prototype for it, I started using the Three Commandments to teach how stereotyped behaviors (rituals) form.

I've been a board gamer far longer than I've been an internet user (i.e. chronic internet junkie who needs a daily fix). For example, I was a Magic: the Gathering junkie and a Reiner Knizia fan girl in the mid-nineties, but I didn't become a registered geek until 2004 (and still only used the site sporadically). Then one day I decided to join the new millennium and within weeks I joined several yahoo groups, started using IM (ICQ, yahoo, MSN, etc), figured out BSW, and started visiting the Geek regularly. Some people wondered where I had come from--in fact, people thought I a) wasn't real or b) at the very least, wasn't really a girl. Fortunately, I met far more nice people than jerks, so I'm here to stay.

I have also been a game convention junkie for longer than I've been on the internet. It started with local conventions when I lived in Georgia (MOC and Dragon*Con) and extended to Origins and Buckeye Game Fest when I moved to Ohio. These events were the source of friendships that I deeply treasure, now. As I met more people I learned about more events and one year I actually attended 19 gaming events (defined as 6 or more people representing at least 3 different states that come together primarily for the purpose of playing games for at least 48 hours). At these events I met Rick Thornquist, which resulted in a weekly column on Boardgamenews.com when he started the site. I also met Jay Tummelson and this led to some demoing and later game development for Rio Grande Games. Sometimes it's tricky wearing both hats (columnist and game developer), but I'm doing my best.

Anyway, I couldn't be happier about being Geek of the Week!

Two truths and a lie:

I was born in Germany, but sadly I don't speak German.

As a side job I do voice work. "Your call is important to us."

My middle name is Wing. (It's also my BSW user name.)

I get first crack at questions!

- What is your strongest childhood memory?
- Can you describe a day in the life of a game developer?
- I met you when I was a member of CABS and during that time you seemed to be playing the role of Caylus teacher; something you seemed to both excel at and enjoy. Can you tell us about your philosophy to teaching the rules to a game to a newbie player?
- Essen...how was it this year?
- What itch does Age of Steam scratch?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! A really deserving GOTW. Thanks for all your contribution to gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice pick for Geek of the Week.

Valerie, what is the name of your ferret?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CONGRATUWAITAMINUTE...!? A GIRL!?
Just kidding!
Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Val!

Glad to see GotW return to form. Hopefully my reappearnce on the questions was just a strange coincdence and not the cause of all the problems!

Here are my standard questions followed by a couple specifically for you:

d10-1 You crack open a new game. What smell do you enjoy more: the release agent of the plastic bits or the new cardboard smell?

d10-2 Say something nice about your lowest ranked game. Say something not so nice about your highest ranked game.

d10-3 What is the one feature you wish BGG would implement?

d10-4 What do you feel is your greatest contribution to the Geek (e.g., GeekList, file, article, etc.)? What moment on the Geek would you like to do over (e.g. embarrassing post, flame war, etc.)?

d10-5 What are the 10 links you have on Page 1 of your QuickBar?

d10-6 What is your favorite game based on a book (preferably a fictional book)? What is your favorite game based on actual real life events?

d10-7 What is your approach to evangelize would be gamers? What is your standard recommendation for a gateway game?

d10-8 If you ever became tired of gaming, what would be your next hobby that consumes your time?

A Even though you are in Columbus maybe I'll get a different answer: What's your favorite Big 10 team? And in what sport?

B Dominion: You have the microbadge, you've played it a lot, but no rating or comment (that I can see). Why so much love but no rating?

C Speaking of Dominion, I am interested in it: Can you make the sale? Why should I get this? Why shouldn't I get it?

D What exactly is a ferret behavioralist trying to accomplish? No offense meant, I am just completely ignorant on the subject.

goo I'll guess #3 is the lie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stein
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So do you know any good game clubs? cool

(Congrats Valerie!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooray Val!

Any new ways to integrate games into your Research Methods or Stats lectures that we (I) should know about?

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Valerie,

Your photos of Schnapp are what convinced me to get the game.

Of course it was out of print and I had to buy it on German E-bay, then have my brother who lives in Germany pay for it with a bank transfer. Next I arranged to have a friend on a business trip to Stuttgart bring it back as part of a larger box of games. Only took about a year. (This is the short version, the longer version would take about 10 minutes to tell, and much longer to type.) But I'm very happy to have finally have it in my hands.

What's the significance of your username, or was it just pulled out of the air? Okay Staton, V. - I get it now.

Did you grow up playing games, or what first led you into gaming?

Also I see that you have spent time playing games with kids. Are these your own, are you an aunt, friends children, or are these experiment subjects?

I think that your middle initial is W., but your middle name is something else entirely.

I'm sure that I'll be back later with more questions, but all for now.

Edited to correct pre-caffinated thought process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy Geek of the Week, Valerie!

It was great to meet you last week. I'm just sorry we didn't get to play a game together. Well, more together than Palais Royale at adjoining tables.

Maybe next year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Congratulations Valerie!

Will I *still* have to correct people on the spelling of your last name?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
GRATZ! Val, and whom better to describe HER than this guy? cool

"this isn't INSANITY!"
"this. isn't. Chit Chat!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Valerie!

My questions begin with the best interview Qs ever, from Bernard Pivot, the French intellectual:

1. What is your favourite word?
2. What is your least favourite word?
3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
4. What turns you off creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
5. What sound or noise do you love?
6. What sound or noise do you hate?
7. What is your favourite curse word?
8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
9. What profession would you not like to do?
10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?

and my own additions:
11. Where did you do your PhD, and what was the most difficult thing about getting one?
12. What are the three best & three worst things about being a uni professor? (I aspire.)
13. Please describe your best TMBG and non-TMBG live music moments.
13. You refer to the "adrenaline rush" of gaming. Do you consider yourself a junkie? What other hobbies get your blood pumping?
14. Can you remember your first Knizia? Do you still love it, or has it been surpassed?

I think #2 is the lie: we teachers have enough stress on our vocal cords to do voice work on the side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Valerie...if that is your real name...

It isn't? Oh well, I take it back then.

Anyways, thanks again for introducing me to Dominion; I'll be playin' it at Euroquest soon.

Edit and P.S. The BSW thing was too easy to check, that's a yes. SO it's either voice work or German. I go with voice work as the lie. 1) You just seem to have German features, and 2) I couldn't possibly see your work in gaming not earning you enough revenue. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! Frankly, I'm kinda shocked you hadn't already gotten this honor! Well, better late than never!!! Have a great GOTW week! thumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Valerie! It's about time you were nominated for this week in the spotlight. I've really enjoyed your articles on Boardgamenews and have heard a fair bit about you on various boardgaming podcasts (all good stuff).

My questions for you:
1) What is the background to you picking "statonv" as your username?
2) Will you be at BGG.CON? How does it rate amongst the many conventions you attend?
3) What are the top 5 games you haven't played yet, but would like the opportunity to try?
4) Do you think you'll ever track your games played on this site again at some point? Do you track them anywhere?
5) What's the funniest experience you've ever had while teaching a game?

Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woo! Valerie wins! Good work, Matthew! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratz

Just two questions.

What game would you recommend that isn't in your top 10 and outside the top 100

Dominion seems to have taken the spot for your best game pretty quick. What is so special about it that it reaches that status so quick?

Another great choice Matthew.

edit : I just noticed that there still is no response from her in this thread....

Lets hope that this will change soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dale yu
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
If you're not part of the soultion...
badge
You're part of the precipitate!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Valerie!

1) Can I have your autograph?

2) I hope that I'm one of the nice people and not one of the jerks

3) Are you sure that ferrets aren't rodents?

Dale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb
KrisVerbeeck wrote:

edit : I just noticed that there still is no response from her in this thread....

I'm sure it will. I jumped the gun a bit and posted on Saturday even though I told her it would be Sunday. I wasn't sure what my schedule would be like tomorrow so I figured I'd better get it out while I could.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dale yu
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yudp wrote:
Congratulations Valerie!

1) Can I have your autograph?

2) I hope that I'm one of the nice people and not one of the jerks

3) Are you sure that ferrets aren't rodents?

Dale

And.. for the record, I think this ends the debate on which half of They Might Be Developers is more famous!

Congratulations again!
Dale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dale yu
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:
KrisVerbeeck wrote:

I'm sure it will. I jumped the gun a bit and posted on Saturday even though I told her it would be Sunday. I wasn't sure what my schedule would be like tomorrow so I figured I'd better get it out while I could.

She'll be here soon!
I talked to her earlier today, and she had plans to (gasp!) play boardgames tonight.

Anyways, GOTW usually starts on Sunday, so we're all a bit premature currently

Dale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Valerie -

Congrats!!! I remember you from Oasis in June. You taught Dominion which I just ordered (finally). I'm the guy who brought Wie Verhext. Hope you have a really great GoW.

- Todd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles A. Davis
United States
Greeneville
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Val!

The YEAR OF GAME CONVENTIONS should be in the Guinness World records! What an amazing year for someone that was working outside the game industry. Hell, even if you worked in the industry, you probably wouldn't attend 19 events. You are my HERO!

What is your favorite game event city for reasons other than the games?

What are your top three restaurants from all of your game event traveling?

Hope to see you soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
My questions should be easy for you:

1) Who was the fattest person at your wedding, and which Donkey Konga controller does he traditionally favor?

2) Of all the people you know who think that Dominion was insufficiently playtested, which one has never demonstrated any violence toward weasels or any of their close relatives?

3) When did you first realize that Domaine is not nearly as interesting a game as Loewenhertz?

4) When did you first realize that Loewenherts is not as much fun as Loewendynastie?

5) How do you make umlauted "o"s on a Macbook Pro?

6) Of Dale Yu or yourself, who is more likely to admire the Salt Beast from Star Trek, and why?

For bonus geek cachet, who would win in this fight: Salt Beast vs. Horta?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valerie Putman
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here I am! I had every intention of being on top of the posts, but I was in the middle of my first game of Le Havre when I heard that the thread went live. Sorry, folks...finishing my game took priority. But here we go!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.