Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: What do you do when your friends surprise you? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lil li
msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Poll
How would you react if you discovered any of the following surprising facts about someone you know, respect, and hang out with regularly?
  I would never talk to them again I would talk to them, but our relationship would be negatively affected I would keep my kids away from their kids (and them) I wouldn't care I would secretly admire them I would be so ecstatic that I'd start planning their coming out party!
He or she is gay
He or she is a member of a radical political party
He or she has served time in jail
He or she perpetrated a cruel and humiliating trick in someone vulnerable during high school
He or she is extremely serious about his or her faith
He or she is an atheist
He or she has been homeless
He or she is an anarchist
He or she has never completed high school
He or she has had many many sex partners
He or she has a huge stockpile of stuff and detailed plan in case "the shit ever hits the fan in this country"
He or she secretly thinks board games are lame
      63 answers
Poll created by bat girl


My husband and I have had many conversations about the suburbs; a strange place to both of us. People here react oddly to, what seems to me like, very innocuous information about each other. So, what' the deal? If your friends surprise you with something unexpected, but they are still the same people you have been hanging out for years, same jokes, same trouble with bank shots at the pool hall, same laugh, same silly hats, whatever; what do you do? What matters, and what doesn't?

This poll is deliberately scattered in its content, random as the gossip flies.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lil li
msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
SO far, people seem to be pretty unaffected; that's cool, but it isn't what I see in practice where I live.

What do you think makes this crowd different? Are we people who play board games and post in these forums somehow more enlightened than most people? I am not the paranoid type; a woman told me the other day that if she didn't know me, and she found out one specific thing on the above list was true of me, that she wouldn't let her kids hang out with my kids. I'm saying which one it is; in fact several of those are true of me (no I don't have a stockpile of food and stuff, but the guy who headed up the search committee that I served on all day yesterday did, and he is TOTALLY not the kind of stereotype of a guy one would expect it from -- ha ha).

Why do any of these things matter so much to people? I think the only one that really freaks me out is the person that would perpetrate a cruel and humiliating joke, like this guy in my high school who asked a very awkward, unpretty, "Nerdy" girl to the prom (not me) as a joke. He lived across the street from me, and I could never look at him or the kids who put him up to it the same. I never hung out with him again, and our families were friends and all, so it really pissed my parents off that I couldn't get past it, but it was just soooo damn mean.

But my original question, why do any of these things matter to people? Can ya guess?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is that if they found out simply, no one would care. Where people DO care is when the information implies that the people were lying about themselves or otherwise projecting a false impression of themselves at least in the mind of the person finding out.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted I don't care on most of them. I'd talk with the person about it though.

This site is full of people who like to think and enjoy the company of others. That's got to bias the sample a lot. Anybody who's met enough people and become informed about enough of the world is going to be more accepting on average.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Don't care" down the line, except the gaming question, because people that don't get gaming SUUUUUUCK!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's one critical choice missing that's pretty important - "It Depends." For most of 'em I'd vote "I don't care." For others it'd depend very much on the circumstance. Went to prison for pedophilia? Get the hell away from my kids...
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lil li
msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
perfalbion wrote:
There's one critical choice missing that's pretty important - "It Depends." For most of 'em I'd vote "I don't care." For others it'd depend very much on the circumstance. Went to prison for pedophilia? Get the hell away from my kids...


I thought about that with the jail time one after I posted it. I was thinking along the lines of theft or drugs -- reckless youth kinda stuff.

Truth is that a couple of kids who used to hang out where I lived were crazy little criminals -- imagine that place in the old movie Suburbia, the one with Flea, except in a huge double wide trailer with like five or six couches and no tables or tvs, with a backyard full of fruit trees (free food) backing up to a big strip mall service area / parking lot and a few more skate rats and musicians than in the film, and that's where I lived for about two years after I "ran away" (for lack of a better term; I was really just about old enough to be out on my own -- I had a diploma) until I got on my feet, went to school, and moved on up to some more interesting places blah blah blah. Lots and lots of people lived at the trailer. I paid this guy Fred 30 dollars a week to stay there. I never really knew who lived there and who was crashing. People came and went. Crazy things happened there; not all of them legal. I had a steamer trunk full of my stuff -- music, books, and clothes -- and the combination lock from my high school locker keeping it shut. It was actually pretty fun; a little creepy from time to time, but mostly fun. Lots of music, lots of skating, lots and lots of cheap beer and bonfires.

Anyway these boys that used to crash there did stuff like stole people's change jugs out of their living rooms while they were at work and stole the change from unlocked cars. I was never involved with it, and honestly, I didn't really believe that they were "up to no good"; I I thought it was all talk because they were such nice guys, and I was pretty naive. But anyway, they stayed at the trailer when they needed to crash; they brought me food, and gave me money to go to the laundry and stuff. They were nice to me.

One time, they got in really huge trouble, crashed at the trailer (my place) with some felonious amounts of stolen felonious stuff -- it was really bad, and frankly, I was scared to send them away. I let them hide their things in my drop ceiling then take it the next day. I was a kid, just barely 18. I didn't think it through. I just wanted this stressful situation to pass with as little damage to me or anyone else possible. They were there; then they were gone. A few weeks later, the police came a knockin' , and several of us very nearly went to jail; the boys and some of their associates that I didn't know did go to jail -- for a long time (one was extradited to Italy).

I guess I meant that kind of thing.

Crazy stories? Oh, I got a million of 'em! We were some crazy kids. If my neighbors now knew the kinds of stuff we used to do back in the day, they might be fine; they might freak. If they really understood my politics, they might be cool; they also might freak. It was my politics, not my past, that freaked my friend out the other day. She said to my face that if she didn't know me, she wouldn't let her kids play with my kids. This because I'm not a fan of the federal government, and I said we'd probably be better off without it. Honestly, that freaks me out.

I'm harmless. I'm a mama with a bunch o' kids and a vegetable garden and a decent lawn. I obey the law (even when I disagree with it); I pay my stupid taxes; I participate in my community. . . I'm a freakin' college professor for crying out loud -- ha ha. I love my "boring" little life, but I'm wigged out by the fact that people imbue indiscretions from the past or political differences from the present with such power that it divides us and has the potential to turn my children into social pariahs. SO, we keep our politics to ourselves, and I never tell stories from my young adult life.

Although I shouldn't, I feel the need to affect an air of "sameness" to some degree, for my kids' sake. I won't stick them with the label of freak or outsider if they haven't chosen it themselves. Plus, in most regards, we are the same or similar to each other, we all are. So we don't have to affect much, just avoid politics I guess. ha ha.

Matthew, I think there is something to your idea that when people have met and been exposed to more people, they are generally more open to difference. I may also be a bit biased about the suburbs because I haven't met many people like my neighbors before. Mostly, it's cool here, but sometimes, it's a little weird. People seem easily rattled. I will give them time though before I go and get all judgey like some "high fulutent sophisticated swine" listed on the sigh in the "I don't know where to begin" thread.

Thanks Moshe, by the way, for explaining your take as to why people care about this stuff. There is a problem with being artificial; no one likes a fake.


OH perfalbion makes a great point. Lots of times, it depends. If that's the case, what does it depend on?



5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bat girl wrote:
OH perfalbion makes a great point. Lots of times, it depends. If that's the case, what does it depend on?


Way too many permutations to work through for the ones that matter. I don't care if you're gay, have strong faith, belong to a radical party, etc. As long as you're not an ass, I can cope.

But the jail, drug use, sexual activity, etc. There's way too many variables there.

Be easier to ask "What's the perfect presidential candidate look like?" You'd get a mess of answers and if that person actually ran, I suspect you wouldn't end up voting for them.
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lil li
msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
perfalbion wrote:
bat girl wrote:
OH perfalbion makes a great point. Lots of times, it depends. If that's the case, what does it depend on?


Way too many permutations to work through for the ones that matter. I don't care if you're gay, have strong faith, belong to a radical party, etc. As long as you're not an ass, I can cope.

But the jail, drug use, sexual activity, etc. There's way too many variables there.

Be easier to ask "What's the perfect presidential candidate look like?" You'd get a mess of answers and if that person actually ran, I suspect you wouldn't end up voting for them.


That totally makes sense. What I'm seeing here is that most people wouldn't just dismiss people out of hand.

OH, and the stuff on the list has little to do with me. Just the political thing. Everything else is the kinds of stuff that people do indeed gossip about or stuff that I've learned about my friends and cared very little, except the mean prank thing; that still burns me up.angry

I'm just fascinated by how some things, random as they may be, for some reason, can fundamentally change the relationships among people. Sorry if this series of questions seems peculiar. And thanks for indulging me with your answers.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't respond to the poll because I agree with the "It depends" answer. Rarely does a single act define a person unless that person allows it to. So, I wouldn't normally react too much unless the person seemed proud of the misdeed or acted likely to repeat. A few things (i.e.pedophilia) would be so awful as to change my relationship with a person.

While a belief (i.e. religious faith, political) does in fact define a person (at least in part), I can't think of a situation where those disagreements keep me from being friends with someone. I will say though that a difference of belief does sometimes limit a relationship: There are some friends with similar beliefs that I am more likely to turn to for advice than those with dissimilar beliefs.
2 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gay: Well, something like half of my friends are gay or lesbian and I'm pretty openly bisexual, so the only surprise would be that s/he hadn't come out to me ages ago. Wouldn't care.

Member of a radical party. It might depend on the party, but it would be the platform itself rather than the fact that it's radical. Unless I considered the platform to be morally repugnant, it wouldn't matter.

Jail time. Some crimes would matter; having served time wouldn't, although I'm white-bread enough that it might freak me out for a while. (I don't think it would, but who knows.)

Cruel trick in high school. I'd think a bit less, but only a bit -- we are not the same people we were in high school.

Extremely serious about faith. I have quite a few friends (mostly met online, but some in person) who are zealously religious. It can be good or bad, depending on the person. Since I like arguing religion, it can mean we always have something to talk about!

Atheist...see question 1.

Has been homeless. I have a couple of friends who have been homeless; I certainly don't think less of them for it.

Anarchist. I'd think less of them, because I think anarchy is stupid.

Never completed high school. See homeless.

Many sex partners. Certainly doesn't bother me.

Stockpile of stuff. How can I think less of him for that? Oh wait, you didn't necessarily mean my brother?

Secretly thinks board games are lame. Never talk again. (OK, I made an exception for my wife, but she's the mother of my children and also really really hot.)


3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bat girl wrote:
Although I shouldn't, I feel the need to affect an air of "sameness" to some degree, for my kids' sake. I won't stick them with the label of freak or outsider if they haven't chosen it themselves. Plus, in most regards, we are the same or similar to each other, we all are. So we don't have to affect much, just avoid politics I guess. ha ha.

I think a lot of people are like this. Most people give in to the urge to remain "normal". Even piddly things like being a gamer or nerd are hidden from acquaintances.

There are pretty good odds that every person you meet has something they're hiding to remain "normal". Even among radical groups people hide things to fit in. You're not going to say you're a young republican at a punk concert.

The reason we do it is so we all fit together easier. It creates little friction if we all conform. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

If you'd like to shake somebody up a little and think you won't lose to much from doing it; go ahead and confess a secret. Maybe you'll gain a deeper understanding of the person. Maybe you'll widen their horizons. Maybe it will all backfire and you'll have to move.

P.S. I "ran away" at 16, and I have stories similar to yours.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nothing but static
New Zealand
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What i have found is the smaller a community gets the more
likely it is there will be a few old biddies who run the
place, and every time they have run it through divide and
conquor.

In my younger angrier days i used to tell then where to jump.

NOw i am a bit circumspect and spread dubious rumours about them.

It a dirty job but someone has to do it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
For me most options would have had me wanting to find out more - what political party?, how do they think?, how do they act?, etc, etc.

Some of the options would get me to have a look at how I found the person - if they'd come across as OK before then "no problems" but if I'd felt cautious before I'd likely be more cautious in the future.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Roberts
United States
Peculiar
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I woulda liked more "it depends" type options as well.

I don't want people trying to screw up my little world. When they do, I get annoyed.

What laws where broken in the past?
Do they bring law breakers into the neighborhood?
Is the person trying to force their faith on others?
Stock piling what? Guns? Handgrenades? Just food and water?
If they are for a radical political agenda, do they bring people that are dangerous to your neighborhood for rallies? Who would be thrilled with a KKK sign accross the street?

Frankly I think people should try and match the beliefs of their neighborhood when they move somewhere. I can't move. I am married to the house economically. So if someone I percieve as dangerous moves in accross the street, I am just screwed.

I am way about toerance, but some of the stuff you bring up can be more than just colorful history. It can be real danger signs.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lizardbaby wrote:

Frankly I think people should try and match the beliefs of their neighborhood when they move somewhere. I can't move. I am married to the house economically. So if someone I percieve as dangerous moves in accross the street, I am just screwed.
"Match the beliefs of those in the neighborhood"? So much for diversity.

This kind of reasoning is one of the main impetuses of antisemitism in practice. Jews have different beliefs and are therefore perceived as a threat. Following it to it's logical conclusion we should live in ghettops away from other people.

Sorry-- I'm not buying it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
lizardbaby wrote:

Frankly I think people should try and match the beliefs of their neighborhood when they move somewhere. I can't move. I am married to the house economically. So if someone I percieve as dangerous moves in accross the street, I am just screwed.
"Match the beliefs of those in the neighborhood"? So much for diversity.

This kind of reasoning is one of the main impetuses of antisemitism in practice. Jews have different beliefs and are therefore perceived as a threat. Following it to it's logical conclusion we should live in ghettops away from other people.

Sorry-- I'm not buying it.


Not just antisemitism: most forms of racial intolerance come from total lack of exposure to people with different backgrounds and economic status.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don't talk to the anarchists! Please, think of your children!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
lizardbaby wrote:

Frankly I think people should try and match the beliefs of their neighborhood when they move somewhere. I can't move. I am married to the house economically. So if someone I percieve as dangerous moves in accross the street, I am just screwed.
"Match the beliefs of those in the neighborhood"? So much for diversity.

This kind of reasoning is one of the main impetuses of antisemitism in practice. Jews have different beliefs and are therefore perceived as a threat. Following it to it's logical conclusion we should live in ghettops away from other people.

Sorry-- I'm not buying it.


I think it depends on who is doing the choosing.

Quote:
The freedom of association to keep to one's own should be legal, as longas the gov't. doesn't enforce it.

But in a liberal culture, such separatism should be seen for what it is: an assertion that what we have incommon as citizens & as human beings is less important than what separates us as members of racial, ethnic and other groups."

-- Andrew Sullivan


I am ok with having a messy house and care about Organic Gardening and actually like lots of clover and dandelions in my yard. Thus I am a horrible neighbor to and impact the happiness of people who want Tru-Green perfect lawns. My house is salmon pink in color and I like it that way. I have a car in my driveway that hasn’t moved in 6 months.
Thus I would NEVER EVER buy a house with covenant agreements.

In that same vein, I like diversity and can handle it just fine for my self and my loved ones. However many people would rather have people "like them" as neighbors. They have the right to make that choice. Sometimes it is even best for them. Just like if they are anal about “lawns”, house colors and having everything perfect around them they should move into subdivisions with “home owner associations” and covenants, so they KNOW that they people around them won’t mess up their idea of what a neighborhood should look like.

Being free to choose who to live around is part of "freedom" too.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't answer most of the poll questions because "it depends" was not on there. But my it depends is also strongly predicated on how this information affects our relationship from their point of view as well. Which I can't know except on a case by case basis.

I have several friends who really are ok with tolerance, as in we know about each other and love each other as we are. But we don't demand "approval" from each other on every thing. Thus we get along great even when very different. I have other friends who I hide a lot of my personality from because I know they would be unhappy and maybe even write me off if they know all about me.

As for who I would change my views about, for example the did something cruel in High School. Well if they tell this story and are repentant and ashamed then it might deepen/enhance our relationship. I certainly have done shameful things, so if we now can share our deep dark secrets that means we might be getting closer.

On the other hand if the story is told with pride as in a hey what a cool person I was in high school, then I am no longer going to feel comfortable around this person. I would talk to them to try to point out what a huge jack-a** they were and why they should feel shame and repent now as an adult, but if they don't see the error of their ways I am likely to put them into the catagory of casual social person but one who is inherently unsafe and thus try to not ever become genuinely vunerable to them. Thus unlikely to be "my friend" in my heart. I might still be polite to them, I might even be a good friend "to them" out of love for them as humans, but they will not be trusted with my hurts or weaknesses unless they grow up a lot.

So my attitude toward them definately changes but not in a way captured on the poll.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
whac3 wrote:
lizardbaby wrote:

Frankly I think people should try and match the beliefs of their neighborhood when they move somewhere. I can't move. I am married to the house economically. So if someone I percieve as dangerous moves in accross the street, I am just screwed.
"Match the beliefs of those in the neighborhood"? So much for diversity.

This kind of reasoning is one of the main impetuses of antisemitism in practice. Jews have different beliefs and are therefore perceived as a threat. Following it to it's logical conclusion we should live in ghettops away from other people.

Sorry-- I'm not buying it.


Not just antisemitism: most forms of racial intolerance come from total lack of exposure to people with different backgrounds and economic status.


I have to disagree, sometimes it is because of exposure to people of different backgrounds and economic status.

Seriously let us take immigration for example. Do you think it is a hot political topic because of all the Austrians (Hi Robert ) trying to move to the USA? Heck honestly it isn't "Spanish" from Spain or Canadians either. It is because certain groups come in large numbers, with their cultures, values and economics statuses that are different enough to cause friction.

Very few people discriminate against people they have little to no exposure too.

In Florida I encountered many people with real racial bias against blanks, but almost nobody thought badly of American Indians. Out here in Washington State there is very little racism against blacks who are few and far between but lots of prejudice and resentment against American Indians.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Roberts
United States
Peculiar
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
lizardbaby wrote:

Frankly I think people should try and match the beliefs of their neighborhood when they move somewhere. I can't move. I am married to the house economically. So if someone I percieve as dangerous moves in accross the street, I am just screwed.
"Match the beliefs of those in the neighborhood"? So much for diversity.

This kind of reasoning is one of the main impetuses of antisemitism in practice. Jews have different beliefs and are therefore perceived as a threat. Following it to it's logical conclusion we should live in ghettops away from other people.

Sorry-- I'm not buying it.


Because I don't like criminals in my neighborhood I am aginst Jews? I have two families I frankly dislike in the neighborhood. Neither is jewish... well as far as I know. Their religion has not truely come up. All the people involved are the same race, caucasian, as I am. My assumption is they would claim Christian heritage. I see no proof otherwise.

1. A "recovering" meth addict lives accross the street from me. She has had 2 stolen cars pulled out of her driveway, multiple domestic disturbances where men are beating the shit outta women. be it her or other women either visiting or living there. Her car was involved in a high speed pursuit involving a police drug bust in another city. (her claim was the car was stolen, though she was out of the house on that night visiting friends). The police have been involved in multiple foot chases out her back door as men with warrants run from the law. I could go on, but who cares? IMO, she does not belong in my neighborhood.

2. The other couple are the ugly version of Red Neck. Hound dogs wandering the neighborhood. Dixie flag in the back windshield, nice tattoos of same. Hate other races, multiple domestic disturbances, one where he was walking down the street expressing his second amendment right to bear arms (aginst his wife). He used to have 4 wheeler races up and down our street. Popping wheelies etc. My kids at the time where between 4-10. So I can't let them out of the house for fear the shit heads will run them over. The final straw was when they got drunk and where going up and down the streets after midnight. They crashed into a neighbors car. When the police show up they start screaming at him... again. Wife screams at the police officer, "If you don't like us, you can lick my clit!". I am not sure how to process that one. I assume it's some type of hill billy insult?

So spare me your "Harmony in a world of differance" bull shit. These people just flat don't mesh. They are trying to make my neighborhood into something new. I would gladly run their ass outta town. The rest of the neighborhood and I started calling the police, and the Cheif of police daily and petitioned City Council for assistance. They are still there, but have started obeying the law, mostly... When I talked to psycho accross the street to explan that all we want is for her to quit bringing criminals into the neighborhood I was told "I am just judging people on their looks!" spare me.

Anyway, I don't care what religion someone is. I don't care what race someone is. On the orher hand, for someone to come into a neighborhood and be mad that people won't let them "express themselves" in a radically different way, is IMO wrong.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lizardbaby:

You specifically mentioned "similar beliefs". What has that to do with criminals?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No, immigration is an issue with people who THINK they know all about it. I spent my boyhood is Texas along the Mexican border. Fact was virtually the entire town's population apart from ym family were illegal immigrants. Texas has an interesting attitude toward such people. If the only law broken is crossing the border, nobody says a thing. If you break any other laws, they'll deport you so fast it'll make your head spin. About the lower 1/3 of the economic ladder in TX is occupied by people from Mexico. They're not taking jobs from Texans because Texans won't take those jobs. The immigrants' children go to school and become leading citizens.

Texas has a policy that works well and has worked for years. Now California deports those dumb enough to try and obey the laws but livign like normal people. So, CA gets immigrants who run drugs, join gangs, etc., because that's precisely who their policies cater to. TX gets the desperately poor who just want to build a new life and are grateful for the chance because that's the people Texas' policies cater to.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Roberts
United States
Peculiar
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Because we where all holding hands singing "We will overcome" and talking like all former criminals are salt of the earth. From their point of view of these people, they are just living life "their way" and only want to be free to do as they please.
Like most things in life, it's not that simple. In the real world, criminals tend to repeat crimes. They often associate with same. One mans freedom of expression is anothers, criminal behavior. Should I ignore my instinct about the people she brings over? They look like trouble. Guess what? They where trouble.
I guess I am projecting, but I was trying to point out that it's easy to hate those trying to protect their way of life. But it's no more fair than what they do to others at times. If someone move into the burbs expecting a way of life and others move out and destroy that, even if it was their right to do so, is that fairness?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.