Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Noakes
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

After a wait of weeks, I was finally able to open the box and give Arkham Horror a try. I'll try and write up a proper review/session report later in the week, but a few questions arose from the first two solo games (with just one investigator) I played.

1) So Amanda Sharpe's taking a nap in some mystical dimension, hears some whispers and tries a Luck(-2) check. With her luck set to 1, she doesn't have a chance. However, she has a couple of clue tokens and the Luck skill. Using a clue token for a roll, combined with her skill, does she get to roll 1 die or 2 dice, or does the (-2) negate the advantage of the skill?

2) When you default on a bank loan, do skills and spells count as items?

3) My second game I played with Ashcan Pete, versus Shub-Niggurath. It ended in a very narrow victory (down to the last roll) but started very aggressively: the first gate spawned a Hound of Tindalos, which immediately moved and attacked him, before he even had his first turn. Is this allowed by the rules? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help! I'm sure a few more questions will arise as I play it through a few more times... have to learn the game pat for the end of the month, will be running a 6-player game....

-M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Maloney
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Weloi Avala wrote:

1) So Amanda Sharpe's taking a nap in some mystical dimension, hears some whispers and tries a Luck(-2) check. With her luck set to 1, she doesn't have a chance. However, she has a couple of clue tokens and the Luck skill. Using a clue token for a roll, combined with her skill, does she get to roll 1 die or 2 dice, or does the (-2) negate the advantage of the skill?

Yes, she would get to roll two dice. If you are at a -2, and you spend a clue token you get to roll one die (you wouldn't have to spend three clue tokens to bring you up to one.) Then with the Luck skill she would get roll two dice.

Weloi Avala wrote:

Spells count as items, skills do not.

Weloi Avala wrote:

3) My second game I played with Ashcan Pete, versus Shub-Niggurath. It ended in a very narrow victory (down to the last roll) but started very aggressively: the first gate spawned a Hound of Tindalos, which immediately moved and attacked him, before he even had his first turn. Is this allowed by the rules? Or am I doing something wrong?

Combat happens during the player's movement phase so he wouldn't have to fight until it came around to his turn on the movement phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Putnam
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. 1 dice for every clue even if she started as a negative. Players usually roll only die at a time when using clue tokens.

2. Spell are items. Skills are skills so you can't really trade or lose them.

3. Yep. But the Hound should attack you at once unless it moved during the first turn.

Enjoy. Also inn a 6 player game 2 monsters will come out the gate.

Weloi Avala wrote:
Hello all,

After a wait of weeks, I was finally able to open the box and give Arkham Horror a try. I'll try and write up a proper review/session report later in the week, but a few questions arose from the first two solo games (with just one investigator) I played.

Thanks for any help! I'm sure a few more questions will arise as I play it through a few more times... have to learn the game pat for the end of the month, will be running a 6-player game....

-M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer the questions I can...

Weloi Avala wrote:

Presumably you are aware that the Luck Skill gives a permanent +1 to luck (as well as the extra +1 per clue), so her Luck would never be as low as 1 anyway...
But, regardless of your net modifiers, a clue will always add a dice, or in this case 2 with the luck skill.

Weloi Avala wrote:

The hound moves, but doesn't attack during the Mythos phase... so it only has to be fought (or evaded) during the characters movement phase... this is the case throughout the game... monsters are only fought/evaded during character movement, or as a result of an (Arkham or Other World) encounter card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.