Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Y.
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like McCain. I saw him on SNL and laughed my ass off - good to see a self-depricating public figure, let alone one running for the highest office in the land. My wife laughed along with me and we saved it on our DVR.

Now, this morning I hear folks (some Conservative) talkin on the radio about how bad it was for McCain to have done this... free media time aside, they said it made him look like he was throwing in the towel right before the election. WHAT? How's poking fun at yourself an admission of defeat? I feel like he can't catch a break - damned if you do and damned if you dont. If he went on and was an abrasive attack dog, Dems would say it was the same we've had for 8 years. When he went on and was his lighter, funnier self - Republicans slam him and Dems smuggly smile and agree.

My wife and I came to the conclusion that folks who vote for the party would be insulted/pissed either way and the skit wasnt for them. We both like McCain as a person and so we loved it! I think this was an effective move towards reaching those undecided voters, but then I like him so maybe I'm just reading into it what I want. My wife and I also watched Obama's commercial to get a better understanding on the guy who might be our next president and left it feeling less scared of an Obama administration, but our votes unchanged. I think there's a lot of big D Democratic things Obama wants to do that'd probably be fine by me - I just agree more with McCain and who he is as a person (as well as a majority of his issue positions).

Anyway- So what did you guys think of McCain's performance on SNL?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked it. It wasn't as funny as when he "did Streisand's job" many moons ago, but it was good. He managed to remind people of why he thinks they should vote for him and came across as a guy who isn't all grim and angry (or awkwardly trying to fake being funny), the way he sometimes seemed in his debates. I like it that he took the time to learn and do some actual skits. (I think Palin lost "poking fun at herself" points by largely sitting out the skits and having them fake-pretend that she'd written one about 30-rock and then learned a rap but decided against doing it personally.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Brooks
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day..."
badge
Gnome dance is best dance.
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was hilarious. For those who didn't see it:

http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/mccain-qv...

It's too bad that McCain's getting dumped on for it. This is the side of him that more folks needed to see. Him smiling, able to laugh at himself and the overall absurdness of it all, and show his sense of humor. His campaign, sadly, hasn't really allowed him to do much of that, since it's been on the attack so much.

Loved the Joe Action figures. Joe Biden's action figure...Pull the cord and it talks non-stop for 45 minutes. Great for clearing out a party. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Y.
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I *really* wanted was a skit where Andy Sandburg comes up to McCain behind the scenes after the opening skit and says "Really great job Senator!" and goes to give him a high five. McCain just looks at him and then hangs his head down while Andy looks awkward.

just me? I could really joke about almost anything...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that I thought it was well done. I thought McCain did a great job, it isn't easy to do comedy and he pulled it off well.

I'm very surprised at the negative response to it. However, I guess if you are feeling upset at the way the campaign is going you would find it hard to laugh??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.