Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Payne
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
mbmb
Looking at the news Im expecting to wait several hours to vote tomorrow. It will be me and my girlfriend so any two player games you could think of would help me out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Monson
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
For over 40 years I've been enjoying gaming with great people.
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably the best game to play tomorrow is: Craps

Seriously, my guess is that it will be hectic and you really wont get a chance to play much. Good luck though.

PS: And remember: "Vote early, vote often."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Payne
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah I dont expect there to be very many options. I tried suggesting craps already and was declined. In 2004 I did a lot of standing in one place for a very long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably LCR would be appropriate(but if you roll a C you have to vote for Bob Barr).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Already voted. Absentee voting rocks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Bring a card table and two folding chairs with you and play 1960: The Making of the President
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive is one of the only games I can think of that would be easy enough to play on any surface and is quite portable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I dropped off my ballot today at lunch. SHWING!

You can play Pieces of Eight while you're standing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Since you'll probably be standing up, options are limited... I would think some speaking game would work. A silly interesting 2-player word game (which I think I read about somewhere on BGG in fact) is for both players to count together "One, two, three" and then simultaneously say a word. Repeat until you say the same word. You're both trying to guess what the other will say next, based on what's been said so far. It sounds ridiculous, but it can be interesting and/or amusing.

Or bring a long a book of puzzles or 20-questions type mysteries to read back and forth. E.g. Black Stories (which was just played at a small party I was at recently).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Finger Ball or Pico 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just play Rock, Paper, Scissor to move up in the line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Waving Hands may look goofy to those not playing, but is perfect for this scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
War in the Pacific (first edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
djflippy wrote:

That, or The Campaign for North Africa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Becker
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oneilljgf wrote:

I always liked Landslide much better. (Warning, electoral votes are circa 1971. Florida was much smaller then.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Pull my finger?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Sebastien
Canada
Ste-Therese
QC
flag msg tools
mbmb
Learn RPS 25

http://www.umop.com/rps25.htm

You've got to start learning now though if you wanna play in time for the 2012 elections...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
    Conserve energy:     Play Board Games!
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.
badge
Shake your business up and pour it. I don't have all day.
mb
Werewolf. 'Nuff said.

Just don't try to LARP it, please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
1960: The Making of the President?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Treacher
United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonder how many more people will suggest 1960:TMP before this thread is over...! Instead, I'll suggest Game of the States as the most appropriately titled!

I recall another thread a while ago asking about games suitable to play while standing in line, and Pieces of Eight was suggested due to its extreme portability. Right at the bottom of the list of games you might want to consider would be Ca$h 'n Gun$!

On a serious note though - waiting hours to vote? Even allowing for a high projected turn-out... why? How? What?

In comparison over here voting (and there's some postal voting done before the day of elections, about 12% of the total) is a very quick and effortless affair. Local schools host the voting stations for the day and you never have more than a five or ten minute walk (from my experience in urban areas) to get to your allotted one. (I'm don't know how the logistics are calculated, but it seems likely that the voting stations are planned to be one per N-thousand voters.)

The actual voting takes all of two minutes from walking in to walking out. I've never had to queue, and I don't necessarily go early. (The opening times here are, if I recall correctly, 0700-2100.)

Don't think that I'm pointing and laughing at our colonial cousins with this comparison - I am genuinely surprised that it seems so different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Runyan
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play the alligator game.

;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Prodromoi wrote:
On a serious note though - waiting hours to vote? Even allowing for a high projected turn-out... why? How? What?

Some districts are under-supplied with voting machines and/or staff. (There is also some discussion about whether this is a form of voter suppression, since it happens more commonly in poor and/or urban areas. E.g. see this or this.)

Maybe some voters take a long time deciding at the last minute, and so they hold up the line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One, Two, Three:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A906644
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Becker
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prodromoi wrote:

Also many voters come to polling station unprepared. They haven't read and decided on the propositions (although they are published in the papers and at community sites), they don't know how to use the voting machines (whether paper, mechanical, electronic, or punch), they don't have proper ID ready, and they don't follow directions of the poll station workers (e.g. shut your cell phones off, no photos, this line is for XYZ County/Precinct voters only). There is training for the voting machines on site at the polling places, but that takes time, and could be done elsewhere.

If everyone would prepare a little bit more beforehand, the throughput at the polling station would be much higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin S
Poland
Warszawa
EU
flag msg tools
M s b S
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looney Labs has two games for this opportunity: Proton and Twin Win (the latter one was actually developed to be played in line).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.