Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joey Jones
United States
Warrior
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of buying into 40k, and was wondering how much do I have to buy to be able to play with others at the local game store? I was planning to get the Assault on Black Reach starter set, since it has the rules, and 2 small sets of armies, for a reasonable price.

I think I want to play as Space Marines, so the starter set gets be a small force of them. After what, how many more would I need to get? Codex? Vehicles? etc?

One more thing, how complex are the rules, and do they allow for a lot of tactical actions, terrain benefits, cover, etc? I don't think I;d like a game in which you just move your forces into position, then it's just a shootout in which the stronger force wins every time. Is there a website that walks you throught a couple of turns, so that i could get a feel for the game, before sinking in the money?

Any advice is appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Burke
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First thing is to try and get into a game down at the store. Maybe someone will lend you an army for the day or get involved in a bigger multi-player if they have one. To get another player involved some kind soul should be able to help out. Marines are a good first choice because the troop costs are higher and your army list will fill out quicker and cheaper than say....Orks.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...how much do I have to buy...

Black reach would be a great place to start. If you´re lucky, you could find someone else who bought the set, and swap your orks for his marines. Otherwise, you would need to buy at least one more troops choice, like a tactical- or scout squad.

Quote:
...Codex? Vehicles? etc?

Codex books are more or less mandatory for your chosen army. You don´t need to buy a lot more. Games are point based, and starting out, you could find someone else who has a small starter army to play against. Later, you´ll definitely want to add some fast assault and/or heavy support choices, like assault squads and bikes, or tanks and devastators.

Quote:
...One more thing, how complex are the rules, and do they allow for a lot of tactical actions, terrain benefits, cover, etc?

Rules are fairly complex, with terrain and cover, playing a large part in the game. Most scenarios revolve around control of objectives.

Small games of 40K can be at least as exciting as larger ones! In fact, although I have some pretty large armies, I prefer games in the 500-1000 point range. It´s just nice to be able to "rotate" your troops, trying out different army compositions. Some players prefer playing the same army every time. Find out what works best for you!

lastly, I will pass on this ancient piece of advice... Don´t buy everything at once! Buy, and paint!, in small, managable chunks of about 500 points at a time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Jones
Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathwalker is wise - heed his words

Blackreach is really the best way to go for starting out, especially if you want to play the sons of The False Emperor.

There are people in my local that have bought multiple copies of Blackreach and swapped one side or the other to build up a cheap and effective army in no time.

On the other hand, as a new player the advantage of not swapping out the Orks would be that you would have two small armies to play with at home - convince a friend or family member to give it a go with you - and you may find you prefer the play style of the Green Horde.

Beyond Blackreach, yeah, I would say another Troops choice and Codex (because without it you won't actually know what Troops choices you have ). After that you're looking at branching out to Fast Attack and Heavy Support. Unless you have a clear idea of the type of army you wish to field from the start, HQs and Characters are normally last on the list (particularly as you get a fairly decent, generic one in Blackreach)).

As to your question of difficulty, I would say its a simple system, but with lots of possibilities. The core rules are easily picked up by kids and adults. One of the GW staff should be happy to run you through them. Its the strategies based upon the rules that might take time to discover.

With the new edition the game has definitely moved towards a more mobile affair. Control of objectives is the most common of scenarios now and their are far more options for troops in how they arrive at the battle - its not simply two battlelines on opposite sides rushing each other. As for cover, it has become far more important and useful - especially for assault-heavy troops.

As a beginner you may find yourself overawed by the range of special rules each new army introduces, surprised by some unforeseen wargear or power. Personally I enjoy learning out about my enemy in the trenches - not having the money to buy every Codex produced. After you've played a race you'll pick up something new which will inevitably help you next time you face them (generally, who to shoot at first ).

Let us know how you get on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and you should listen to the "Deadpool from Liverpool" too!

(I don´t know if SirVolkar IS from Liverpool, but a Brit he is!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Jones
United States
Warrior
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[/q]
lastly, I will pass on this ancient piece of advice... Don´t buy everything at once! Buy, and paint!, in small, managable chunks of about 500 points at a time!

[/q]

That sounds like good advice. Thanks to all for the help. I think what I want to do is get the Black Reach set, and play around the 2 armies included. Then paint them and build a small terrain table in the basement. Than just go from there. I have a few friends who I might could get interested in playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Jones
Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
** And so the seeds of corruption were placed in the heart and mind of Joey Jones as he took that first step down the path of damnation...**

Hail Slaanesh, another is tempted!
Hail Nurgle, the virus spreads!
Hail Tzeentch, changer of ways!
Hail Khorne, more blood for the Blood God!
(And hail to that other guy, the one who hates the other four, who magically vanished a decade or so ago yet lives on in the minds of all Vets...he was cool!)

P.S. Liverpool??? Aye, aye, calm down, calm down. But then "The Deadpool from Cardiff" doesn't quite work as well, I guess. Mebbe "The Deadpool from near Pontypool"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Jones
United States
Warrior
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again. I haven't started down that dark path yet, but it's calling my name. And that of my unborn son...

A couple of more questions I've thought of.

If I buy the Black Reach set, without the codexes, will I know what I can and can't do with the space marines and the orks? I assume the starter guide that comes with it will have what I need to know.

Also, when you say buy 500 points of units at a time, about how many units does that translate to? A squad of marines? A single vehicle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Having recently had my son get into 40K, I can attest to the fact that you can quite easily get by (at first) with just the stuff in the "Black Reach" box. Play a few games that way and be sure whether you like it or not before you get into the game any deeper. With a bit of effort on Google, you can find a lot of additional info to get a sense of how to flesh things out if you're so inclined. My son has already determined that while he likes the minis and the basic system, there are a lot of things he's going to want to change when he plays with his buddies -- so getting a codex, for him, really won't be necessary as they'll just come up with their own modifications and house rules to the basic GW "official" rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Jones
Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joey_Jones wrote:

Also, when you say buy 500 points of units at a time, about how many units does that translate to? A squad of marines? A single vehicle?

Depends on your army, obviously. But generally, the average size squad of ten marines should cost about 150-200, depending on how you deck them out. Meanwhile, tanks tend to range from 100 up, depending on how hard it is and what weaponry you shove on it. Troop transports, like Rhino's and Drop-pods, are the exception to this, costing a lot less.
So, for 500 points your looking at two ten man squads and a lightish vehicle or perhaps two fully kitted out squads and their transports.

EDIT: Oh, and in answer to your other question, AoBR will contain all the rules for playing the troops and weapons included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sims
United States
Waco
Texas
flag msg tools
Quote:
AoBR will contain all the rules for playing the troops and weapons included.

Sadly, this is not true. They deliberately left out the army specific rules to encourage people to buy the Codeces.

I agree with the poster above to purchase two boxes of Assault on Black Reach (AoBR). Here's why...

For a first timer, Space Marines are perfect for learning how to play and keeping a positive attitude about the game. They are favored by GW and difficult for most players (average skill and below) to beat. Veteran players will likely give you a run for your money. AoBR has 585 points of Space Marines.

Of these Space Marines, the monetary cost in USD to purchase them individually would be around $100.00. For the $120.00 you can double the number of Space Marine models AND the extra Orks that will come along with them. Also, an extra rulebook never hurts.

That said, you will have over 1000pts of Space Marines, including two full troop units (two units are mandatory for all games), 3-4 Elite units (the Terminators can be one unit of ten models, or two units of five, and then two stand alone Dreadnoughts), and two models available for HQ choice.

Once you play with some friends or local gamers with this smaller force, you will want to add a few Fast Attack units and Heavy Support units to round out your BASIC army... giving you around 1500 pts (which is about the size of an average game in my area)

From there, you can get some games under your belt to get a feel for your army and their abilities, and then begin to experiment with adding other units types to see how to improve both your game and your army theme.

Also, you will get a feel for other armies through osmosis as you play, and you may decide that while Space Marines are tough... maybe you like the mindless blood lust of playing Orks... or the undercurrent of synaptic thought with the Tyranids.

The possibilities are wide open in this game system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Jones
United States
Warrior
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your help. I recently bought a ton of Space Marines from a guy I know, and have played a few games. So far, so good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.