Subject: POLLs: reassessment on start worlds rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: added image references to the homeworld for your convenience (see below)

Just in case there's any confusion, "Favorite" means the one you'd like to get in a game and be used in gameplay.
Poll: Favorite start worlds now that the first expansion is out?
Now that the expansion is out, we have 4 new start worlds, 3 new 6-cost devs, 2 each of 2 types of dev cards both of which certainly add flair to the game, a slew of new worlds, and a bunch of First and Most goals. How have your opinions of the start worlds changed? Assume that you have no knowledge of what your start hand will be like nor what goals will be used.
1. What is your favorite start world in this expansion?
Separatist Colony
Ancient Race
Damaged Alien Factory
Doomed World
2. What is your 2nd favorite start world in this expansion?
Separatist Colony
Ancient Race
Damaged Alien Factory
Doomed World
3. What is your 3rd favorite start world in this expansion?
Separatist Colony
Ancient Race
Damaged Alien Factory
Doomed World
4. What is your least favorite start world in this expansion?
Separatist Colony
Ancient Race
Damaged Alien Factory
Doomed World
5. Of all the start worlds so far, which is your favorite?
Old Earth
Epsilon Eridani
Alpha Centauri
New Sparta
Earth's Lost Colony
Separatist Colony
Ancient Race
Damaged Alien Factory
Doomed World
6. Of all the start worlds so far, which is your least favorite?
Old Earth
Epsilon Eridani
Alpha Centauri
New Sparta
Earth's Lost Colony
Separatist Colony
Ancient Race
Damaged Alien Factory
Doomed World
      105 answers
Poll created by ackmondual
Your vote will matter !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on being the second responder, it seems like I'd like to hammer out 10 games vs someone as Ancient Race against Doomed World .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byrnes
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Interesting. I'm surprised with how much support separatist colony is getting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monotone wrote:
Interesting. I'm surprised with how much support separatist colony is getting.
"New Sparta syndrome" perhaps? I remember someone putting out a poll for the home worlds for just the base game and New Sparta seemed to have gotten a good number of hits. Separatist Colony may be an extension of that. Among my groups that played the exp so far, they're half and half on DAF for it's 4 cards that you get (after taking into account the one card from your hand you need to produce on it in most scenarios) and SC, which is what many think New Sparta should've been in the first place. Even if there isn't a "military state of mind", SC is about on par with Epsilon Eradani which itself wasn't too bad

As for me, I will abstain from voting. I would like to get a chance to try out SC and Doomed World even though I got to see my opponents' use them in action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J R

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a thread where I rate the worlds for 2PA. Separatist Colony is amazing. I describe why there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Clyne
England
Hazlemere
Bucks
flag msg tools
Empire of the Midnight Beard
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the reason that it is doing so well is that the explore power is so powerful. The more I play RftG the more I rate explore powers as something to get early in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Separatist Colony also benefits from being the easiest of the new start worlds to play. The other three all have effects on early game tempo that take some getting used to.

Edit: I appear to be the sole Epsilon Eridani flagbearer so far. The rest of you are all wrong wrong wrong!

I'd be interested to see how this splits up when divided into players who play mostly 2PA or 3+player. It really changes some things around with the homeworlds - this got mentioned by J R and others in the thread on Doomed World.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Does "favorite" mean "the one I'd most like to get in a game", or "the one with the most pleasing artwork", or "the one that's most innovative", or what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
onigame wrote:
Does "favorite" mean "the one I'd most like to get in a game", or "the one with the most pleasing artwork", or "the one that's most innovative", or what?
The first. I figured that would be the "default meaning", but now that you mention it, it couldn't hurt to be more specific.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmer Sivertsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
onigame wrote:

I would assume most of the players who post on BGG about Race are discussing the mechanics. Innovation is considered a given, or perhaps even unwanted. Most pleasing artwork falls to graphic designers who may sometimes play the game. (Sadly, given the relative cost for artwork in games is high, compared to the received value from those who champion the game the most.)

The concern towards artwork is appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barratt
United Kingdom
Royal Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It should be noted that "The Card I Prefer to Start With" isn't necessarily the same as "The Card I Think is Strongest" (someone could think that New Sparta is the strongest, but is dull to play).

Nor is "The Card I Think is Strongest" always the same as "The Card I Think Gives me the Best Chance of Winning" (eg Everyone else stomps me with Damaged Alien Factory, but I can't get the hang of it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I suspect that when we look back on this poll in a year, with a ton of statistical data to back it up, Seperatist Colony will be the winning-est homeworld. My 2p intuition was already telling me it was even more nimble than New Sparta. It seems everyone else thinks so to. Things just seem to fall into place for Seperatist Colony, despite the smaller military.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Meyer
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My $.02 says in 2PA Produce/Consume engines tend to do better.

That would make Seperatist Colony better in games where one role is chosen per turn than it would be in 2PA.

I am not one to DISrespect explore powers in multiplayer.

The difference in starting out with one military versus two (as New Sparta) is quite huge. New Sparta can settle The Separatists much easier than the Separatists can settle them.

I also think new players tend to explore more than experienced players. Note: I do not imply that noobs voted for SC.

Many times the best move in multiplayer for the SC is the greedy explore. But even better, when you have a solid hand and a plan, you can leech explores reasonably well without having to pick them.

As a famous politician once said: I voted for Separatist Colony before I voted against them; I could be convinced to vote for them again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Meyer
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that we have many hours of expansion gameplay, I claim that Seperatists Colony is quite good.
I also want to say that I significantly underrated the Ancient Race.
The Doomed World has significant variability, and this may do well in a competitive multiplayer game. I do not like it in 2PA.

Quote:
I suspect that when we look back on this poll in a year, with a ton of statistical data to back it up, Seperatist Colony will be the winning-est homeworld.

I was of this opinion at first, but I think I have changed my tune.

I still prefer the old standbys - Earth's Lost Colony and Alpha Centauri.

Should we start the survey again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Scheer
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, in retrospect my opinion of SC has gone down, although it still wins more than its fair share of games. Since we do a sort of draft with the start worlds similar to the way it will be done after RvI (reveal goals, deal 1 red and 1 blue to each and decide) favorites are easy to spot. DAF seems to be the most favored of all, with ELC the closest behind. AR and DW are the least chosen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Meyer
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess we should clarify the definition of favorite world.

If you were going to play one world in the finals of a million dollar tournament and play 5 2 player advanced and 5 four player games, which world would you choose?

Gathering Storm expansion only, no RvI. No goals to make it simple.

I vote for Alpha Centauri right now.

No way I'd want to roll the dice with Doomed World

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.