Recommend
14 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Dominion» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Summary Review (High Fun Ratio) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Executive Summary: "Card Combos, Deck Building" game.

Fun / Time ratio: 9:10 (nine minutes of fun per ten minutes of play)


Summary:
Dominion

Elements
Coinage used to buy new cards
Victory point cards
10 Action Cards that do things from a set of 25 Cards.

Mechanics
You play a card, you buy a card.
You maintain your own deck, hand and discard piles from a standard starting hand of 7 coins and 3 VP cards plus the cards you add during play.
Action cards break the basic rules in different ways. You figure out ways to make them combine to the best effect.

Objective
Acquire as many victory point cards as possible before the end of the game.

End Game
Three Stacks of Cards run out.
A Stack of Victory point cards runs out.

Commentary
Very simple mechanics means this game is easy to learn fast.

Very simple presentation means this game is easy to learn fast.

Very simple rules means the "standard" sets will probably be max/min within 30 days. "If you start with 5 coin, do this to win", "if you start with 2 coin, do this to win".

"Magic Moment" potential: High. Picture having a cruddy draw with one good card-- and playing that card sets off a chain of events that allows you to play every card in your deck, empty your opponents hands, and make major progress towards victory.

"Luck" vs "Skill". Despite the "Magic Moment" seeming like it is all about luck-- the game is really more about skill. A skillful player given a random set of 10 cards shared with other players will build a more effective deck.

"Aha Moments". One reason I like this game is there a lot of "Aha" moments when you realize some new way to put the elements of the game together.

Player Customization Potential
Player spun card potential is very high with Sleeves.
Allowing 11 or 12 cards instead of 10.

Drawbacks...
Mainly the shuffling and setup time.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A nice and "to-the-point" review of what is becoming one of my favourite games! However I disagree with one of your statements:

maxo-texas wrote:
Very simple rules means the "standard" sets will probably be max/min within 30 days. "If you start with 5 coin, do this to win", "if you start with 2 coin, do this to win".


Since in every game there are different action cards (preferably chosen at random) you cannot make such a statement (a fixed strategy which if you follow you will win).

However I'm pretty sure that soon we will begin to see advices on specific cards or combinations.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
avyssaleos wrote:
A nice and "to-the-point" review of what is becoming one of my favourite games! However I disagree with one of your statements:

maxo-texas wrote:
Very simple rules means the "standard" sets will probably be max/min within 30 days. "If you start with 5 coin, do this to win", "if you start with 2 coin, do this to win".


Since in every game there are different action cards (preferably chosen at random) you cannot make such a statement (a fixed strategy which if you follow you will win).

However I'm pretty sure that soon we will begin to see advices on specific cards or combinations.
He says the "Standard" sets will be max/minned. In other words, not the random action cards, instead the sets listed in the rules as good ones to start with/try out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like playing the base sets - I always feel like whoever I'm playing against chose that set because they're good at it and will be able to beat me. With random cards, we're all on the same page to start with.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
He says the "Standard" sets will be max/minned. In other words, not the random action cards, instead the sets listed in the rules as good ones to start with/try out.


Hadn't noticed that. I stand corrected! blush
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.